Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "He Mele Aloha" book songs on You Tube
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  7:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some love from Kenneth Makuakāne. http://www.makuakane.com/wordpress/?p=1441

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2016 :  1:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we have Auntie Wanda's YouTube list, but I went ahead and found as many songs from He Mele Aloha and compiled a Spotify playlist. I'm a premium Spotify member, so the app on my phone is able to download the songs so they're playable offline (like when I'm in the car driving), which is a major advantage over YouTube for me.

I ended up finding all but fourteen of the songs, and the playlist is a fraction under fifteen hours long. They're almost all in the order in the book, although there are about half a dozen I missed on the first pass through, which I added at the end in a sanity check. Sadly, I haven't found a way to reorder the list once it's been made.

I've made the playlist public, so if anyone ever searches for "He Mele Aloha" in Spotify, they should hopefully find it.

Like Auntie Wanda, I was a little arbitrary with my song choices in some cases, but I did follow a rough set of guidelines:

• The lyrics being sung matched the lyrics in the book in front of me.

• A better sound quality song won over poorer sound quality (so, typically, I went with a more modern recording over a scratchy recording from the forties or fifties, for example).

• Songs with lyrics won over instrumentals.

• I went with an artist who's name I'd recognised (or I had picked previously in the playlist), over one I didn't know.

• The music of one version sounded better to my tastes over another version of the same song. (So it's possible that other people might have different favourite versions of some songs I didn't choose).

I had to drive interstate (about a five hour drive each way) this past week, and help do some renovation work on my late Mum's place, in preparation for selling it/renting it out. And through all that, I managed to listen to the entire playlist. There's some really cool music on it. :)
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great work Eynowd. Interesting choices for some of the recordings. A lot I have never heard. With the free trial to the premium membership, I'm working on downloading the whole library. Looks like an option to download the entire thing at once, but I can't get it to work. Doing one song at a time. Takes a little bit of time, but you just have to play each one a few seconds. I'm thru the K's.

Just got a new vehicle that I can plug my phone into the stereo system.

I often just need a little memory jog for a songs melody. Plan to use this to do that, rather than hunting around YouTube.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ukrazy

That's great work Eynowd. Interesting choices for some of the recordings. A lot I have never heard.

I come into this with almost no knowledge of a lot of the artists on the playlist, so I was largely stabbing in the dark for the most part. I won't guarantee that I've made the "best" choice for each song, and I'm sure other people may have made different choices for the much of the list based on a better knowledge of who is good to listen to.

quote:
Originally posted by ukrazy

With the free trial to the premium membership, I'm working on downloading the whole library. Looks like an option to download the entire thing at once, but I can't get it to work. Doing one song at a time. Takes a little bit of time, but you just have to play each one a few seconds. I'm thru the K's.

If you click on the "Follow" button first, it should enable the "Available Offline" toggle. Flip that and it should automatically drag down all of the songs for you relatively quickly.

I'm not sure if the Spotify app will let you listen to the music offline if your Premium subscription lapses. So it'll be interesting to see what happens in a month.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  2:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff, I like the choices you made. Some modern artist, and some good vintage stuff.
I got it all done this afternoon. One song was not found, but I think I have all the rest. I am able to listen off line. Even disabled my internet to be sure. Don't think they can remove my downloaded material.
Go to Top of Page

MeleOhanaMike
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2018 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a wonderful resource! Got it bookmarked. Mahaloz!

Alooooholla!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000