Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Is the Maui Slack Key Workshop OK for kids?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  2:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently planning on heading to Maui in 2019 for George Kahumoku's slack key workshop. My wife is interested in the cultural stream, as she doesn't play music, but loves languages and crafting.

We're going to be bringing our daughter, who will be 9 by then. Does anyone know if the workshops are suitable for kids, and if not, what can kids do while the adults are participating in the workshop classes?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While it surely depends a little on the child/pre-teen or young adult:
their age, and their interest in one or more aspects of classes...If they have some musical, singing, playing or other related talent, or just some good honest desire, it very well can be a very positive growth experience.
If they are not, and prefer the Beach, the croquet, or just such, that's there just out the front door too.
And even if they are deeply interested in camp, well the beach there is a must( (assuming they swim, and don't go alone!) It's a great beach, and a spectacular resort.

George and staff are exceptional with kids...It's one thing he does with excellence...(well that's everything--educator, musician, fisherman, farmer (the day before classes start is an "up-to-the-farm' day if one chooses...but go prepared to do some work and get muddy or wet! Work in the Taro, or with the animals is likely)!
And if it's right for your child, George tends to make sure pre-teens get a chance to perform in the circle if they're ready, and teachers will find a time and place to work with keiki trying to get their nerve up.
It's something ALL all of us struggle with, but for George and teachers, well it's really worth the investment with the kids... For the students, the teachers, and for the rest of us who may just have started too late!
And some of the best started there...Britni Paiva was the Mozartian wonder kid back in 2004--2006 and many others have grown up there. But you don't have to be a wonder kid, and better not to put that requirement down... It's a friendly, approachable, and sharing ART. Perhaps the most important part of this camp...
So young students can do something with others or with a teacher supporting, and teachers often spend some time preparing something with a student(s) to perform, either at the evening Kanikapila (song circle) or at the mid-week open mike/talent night that one can sign up for...
And sure you can talk to George or Nancy about this...phone calls and texting are cheap, and they are glad to talk about it.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/24/2018 10:44:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  4:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been to camp in many years, but I think it's suitable. Do you think your 9 year old might have interest in the music or other workshops? If she's making the trip, why not learn some culture, music, and history of the land?

If you're not sure, send a note to George and Nancy. I'm sure Uncle George can come up with interesting activities for your daughter.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  10:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cu;tural workshops, especially crafts and hula, are fine for kids, IF they are interested. Napili Kai also has a nice beach and pool.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback, guys. By the sounds of things, we should be ok.

My daughter is very inquisitive, and loves learning stuff (she thinks watching educational videos on YouTube is a treat). She also loves crafting stuff with my wife, so that's a bonus too.

She also adores the movie, Moana. While not Hawaiian per se, it's a good entry into the Hawaiian culture aspects, I think. It would be a neat way to sell the idea to her, I think :)

She has her own guitar, and I need to get cracking on teaching her to play the uke.

I'll probably get in touch with George and Nancy to discuss later this year.

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  3:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like she's into this--and uke is great, for kids, and adults...
There were adults who came to camp without knowing ANYTHING really about uke, guitar, or music...and they keep coming back--because of the atmosphere: joy+learning.
So a kid with musical or cultural interest, will find George's camp amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2018 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not been to George's camp (sadly the timing has never worked out) so I cannot answer directly. But we have attended three different Aloha Music Camps. I recall several 9-12 year old students in the various ukulele and slack-key guitar classes, and seeing them in some of the hula and crafts classes too.

At the first AMC in 2006, my wife took the beginning ukulele class taught by Kaliko Beamer-Trapp. She talked me into trying it the next day with a borrowed uke, and I was hooked. Now I've led a ukulele club for over ten years in Boise, perform regularly, teach lessons, and have taught workshops at over a dozen festivals. infectious, this little instrument is......
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2018 :  08:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to quite a few of George's workshops and there haven't been very many children of that age there. Maybe if you brought a friend for her she would have a better time. Yes, there is a wonderful beach there but at 9 years of age, I think she would need a lot of supervision near the ocean. While it is a calm bay, it can be deceptive.

The youngsters I have seen there have been a bit older (teenagers) and have been interested in learning `ukulele or guitar. We have taken our grandson a couple of times but he was maybe 14 or 15 the first time and 16 or 17 the second time. He however was highly motivated to learn 'ukulele.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2018 :  3:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

I have been to quite a few of George's workshops and there haven't been very many children of that age there. Maybe if you brought a friend for her she would have a better time. Yes, there is a wonderful beach there but at 9 years of age, I think she would need a lot of supervision near the ocean. While it is a calm bay, it can be deceptive.

The youngsters I have seen there have been a bit older (teenagers) and have been interested in learning `ukulele or guitar. We have taken our grandson a couple of times but he was maybe 14 or 15 the first time and 16 or 17 the second time. He however was highly motivated to learn 'ukulele.

Because we're travelling from Australia, it's not going to be possible to bring a friend for her.

At this stage, I think we should be OK for her to attend the craft and culture classes with her mother, or potentially even some of the music classes with me. We do not intend to leave her unsupervised while we're at the workshops.

I'll start spending some more time with her to teach her the basics of uke playing, and see if she is interested enough to do the classes.

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  1:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if you and family went to George's camp this year, and if you did, how did it go?
G'dae
(what Australian fiddlers say...I think.)

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/23/2018 1:57:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  5:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Just wondering if you and family went to George's camp this year, and if you did, how did it go?

No, we didn't go this year. For the three of us to go - including airfares, accommodation, and the variances due to currency exchange rates - the trip is going to set us back about A$10K.

Having just bought a house a couple of months ago, I didn't have that money spare this year.

Both my parents have passed away in the past few years, and we're waiting for the family home to sell (it's under offer at the moment). Once that does, I'll have enough spare money, so the plan is - and actually always has been - to go in 2019.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane
G'dae
(what Australian fiddlers say...I think.)

*smirk* I thought you'd spelled "g'day" wrong for a sec, then I got the joke

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000