Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 MRI and slack key...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  05:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I reported to the MRI crew, for feet MRI's.
When asked if I had a music preference I said, "Got any Hawaiian Music?"
They said yea...I expected just Iz and Don Ho...but no, no no, NO!
They surprised me with a Pandora mix...started with IZ's "Panini Pua Kea", but then covered Uilli E by Dennis and David Kamakahi, Leonard Kwan, Ka'au Crater Boys, Hapa, multiple harmony renditions of some standards, including (but not limited to) "Island Style"

It helped, but have to admit they should turn down the buzz and click tracks, or get Auto tune.
Mahalo, Click click click click, tapa tapa tapa, and ray-gun sounds. I didn't know Buck Rodgers liked slack key.
I really understand that music is more about the outer-space between the notes!
And it was hard not to tap my foot and do a little hula. Get down tonight!

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  03:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the MRI machine is noisy outside and really noisy inside the tube. I too would have found it hard not to tap a foot. But my MRI's have been for the brain - they found nothing in my case.

Off to the doc this morning myself, but only a regular appointment. Hope yours turned out OK.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had slack key to listen to at my dentist's office! Education is one mele at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2018 :  2:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so as a child of the 60's,
I find nitrous makes all sound pretty much copacetic...even muzak, or the buzz of the lights being a quarter-tone off with the muzak.

But I still have to convince them that cleanings require "the mask".
Actually I don't--but anything bigger than that, well it's Darth Vader time.

We're still waiting on my feet report, and consultation with a Pediatrician, I mean Pediatrist. In the meantime, no Hula, no two-step, and no cat sleeping on the feet.
At last glance feet still there, I can see them, although I can't really feel them.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get my dentist to try slack key...he's a wannabe rocker.
I told him it pays about the same, but fewer groupies and no serious drugs...only Nitrous.
But seriously folks...
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  06:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tell your dentist that taro patch and Keith Richards' open G tuning are the same. Maybe that will pique his interest.

I like nitrous oxide too. Developed a taste for it back in the late 70's when I lived with some dental students. They would sneak the tail end tanks home. Haven't had it in a while though, as my dental insurance doesn't cover it except for the most invasive procedures, and I'm too cheap to pay extra for nitrous. My old dentist was freer with "the mask" than my new one.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  07:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During yesterday's MRI ('nother new knee in the offing), the beat that underlies all those other frolicsome noises seemed to be going "sweet potato, sweet potato, sweet potato..." <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  08:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lucky you, neeej. My knees were so bad that x-rays were plenty - no need for an MRI. The only choice was "do we replace the painful one or the bad one first". The doc chose painful, but I wish we had done them in the reverse order.

Two years ago tomorrow on knee #2. So far so good! You saw me going up and down your stairs in August.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  10:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipry1 is also a proponent of the nu ni. It allows him to tap his foot efficiently.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, these days I get enough of the mask with my CPAP. No Nitrous, just good clean Rocky Mountain air...a little thinner, but I'm used to it.
And for our kicks we'll take a Russian River Pinot Noir.

If we can't go north, we just visit Dashe tasting room in Oakland, or the Rock Wall Winery in Alameda. And while we're down there, maybe a visit to the Oakland Museum. Last year we caught Dorthea Lange exhibit and others. Edifying
Are we off-topic yet?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2018 :  05:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila KaneAre we off-topic yet?

Well that is up to you - it's your thread. BTW cloudy and 55° here today. And the neighbor's dog has been fed (I'm covering for the this week).
I can drift off topic too..... oh look, a squirrel!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2018 :  06:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

Actually, these days I get enough of the mask with my CPAP. No Nitrous, just good clean Rocky Mountain air...a little thinner, but I'm used to it.
And for our kicks we'll take a Russian River Pinot Noir.

If we can't go north, we just visit Dashe tasting room in Oakland, or the Rock Wall Winery in Alameda. And while we're down there, maybe a visit to the Oakland Museum. Last year we caught Dorthea Lange exhibit and others. Edifying
Are we off-topic yet?

The Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association (HSGA) will be holding its mainland convention at the Hilton in Fort Collins Sept.27-29. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood. I'll be there, playing on 9/27.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2018 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear about HSGA in Ft. Collins. I'm not likely to drive up, but in my younger days, It would've been a short easy hop.
I remember they've been there previously...so somebody in Ft. C must have some power!
Nice town, with wide streets, a revitalized down town...and an epicenter for Micro brews, which are probably friendly to sliding around the notes. Have fun, and Slide on!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000