Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2018 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has been awfully quiet here of late. I've had some rough weeks at work the past month and not much time to check in, but I intend to stop neglecting my slack-key playing and get a lot of guitar time over the next few days. With any luck, I can go hang out at Uncle Herbie's house on Saturday morning instead of working all weekend, or hosting out of state house guests, etc.

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  05:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drift through almost every day. I agree that there hasn't been a lot happening.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  06:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tend to check in every couple of days (leaving no footprints) but I normally only post when there is a point to be made.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drop in multiple times every single day. I tried many times in the past to revive the activity level. A few times it picked up for a few days. Unfortunately I guess life gets in the way & people drift back to oblivion. The only guys I know of that are consistantly lurking here are Jack Aldrich (slpry1) & Kory Tideman (Thumbstruck) I bump into both more frequenlty on Facebook than here.Too bad this site became obsolete because I've made so many lifelong friends here. I'll participate in any conversations going on here but I won't try to carry it like I did in the past. Too much disappointment to make it worth my while.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2018 :  10:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

.....Too bad this site became obsolete because I've made so many lifelong friends here.....

I respectfully beg to differ, Duke. This site is NOT obsolete, in large part because so many of us will have nothing to do with "YouTwitFace" and other social media. It is a good thing to have a virtual community apart from the major corporate data miners.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  03:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here hiding from anything to do with Facebook. And I always look forward to anything Duke or any of you guys have to offer.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  11:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I check in several times a day too. What's up guys?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  05:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipry1 and I have been at the NWFolklife Festival (47th year, still free!), and had ono grinds (all kinds, even Spam Musubi!). Jack subbed for a friend and did a beginners' music theory workshop and then I did a diatonic accordion workshop (trad music, any kine, always get ono grinds) with the help of some friends and their different styles. Today, Jack will be on piano and me on the box for a polka dance workshop as "The Polka Guyz" with Juan Barco on bajo sexto and Steve Schwind on guitar. After that, I'm doing a ki ho'alu workshop. Monday, Slipry1 and I, along with Kermet Apio (slack key), Tiko Kaeo (ukulele), Rod Higuchi (ukulele) and Retro (Gregg Porter on bass), will play as "Da Oddah Guyz". The weather has been great, too much to see and listen to.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2018 :  06:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I keep forgetting about Folk Life. Sounds like big fun. But being retired and semi-retired (me) we try not to travel on the major holiday weekends -- too many crazies on the roads.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  02:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually leave a tab in browser open to TaroPatch and check it pretty often. I had been having some weird DNS issues and not being able to reach the site from home.

I haven't been able to do it much in the past week, because I've just moved house. My wife and I bought a place and it's taken me a whole week to move all our stuff across. I'm absolutely wasted at the moment, and aching all over. I've also managed to tear all the fingernails off my picking hand somewhere along the way .

Unfortunately, I haven't played a whole load of anything over the past week, let alone slack key .

I need to get back into it: a friend of mine has challenged me to play some guerilla slack key in the James Turrell Skyspace, an art installation at the National Gallery of Australia on World Music Day on June 21.

I'll probably play "Hapuna Sunset" and a couple of other tunes that I know well. If people are interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Edited by - Eynowd on 05/28/2018 02:51:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  06:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm skipping Folklife this year...not up to that much walking/standing yet :-/

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  3:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missed seeing you, Neeej. Had good fun playing with Da Oddah Guyz. Jammed with Tiko and Jack and friends after.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neeej

I'm skipping Folklife this year...not up to that much walking/standing yet :-/

We were wondering why we never ran into you there!
(And I've not been HERE for a while, either - but I still won't do koobecaF.)
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here as usual. Whazzup guyz?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  1:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Here as usual. Whazzup guyz?

We're starting to settle into our new home after the move. I've got my office/music room unpacked now, including my guitars, so I'm back to practicing a bit more now.

Had a couple of friends over to the new place last Monday (a public holiday here) for a bit of a jam session; both of them play uke, and I played guitar. Nothing Hawaiian though.

I've been going through the PlaneTalk material that arrived a week or so back and letting it stew in the back of my brain. It feels like it's starting to make sense now, although there's still an awful lot of practice work to do with it before I can really say that I know what to do with it. Still, the ideas are starting to crystallise, which should definitely help me see slack key playing in a different way.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2018 :  2:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We stay Maui. Slack key camp starts tomorrow.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000