Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Taropatch tuning & Norwegian Wood?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been keeping one of my guitars in standard taropatch tuning, and yesterday I retrieved my lonely guitar from its case, and began improvising on it.

The tone was nice, and the tuning does have its natural charm for being easy to play intuitively when in tune.

Somehow I managed to pick out Norwegian Wood on it, very easily. I don't know if the Beatles used that tuning for that tune, though I found it surprising easy to pick it out. I do remember trying to play it on a conventional tuned guitar at one point, and it not being as easy.

Any ideas or knowledge about this? Thanks!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Norwegian Woods noodling around in taropatch too a long time ago. Another Beatle's song that works good in taropatch is Blackbird. You can find it using parallels on the 2nd & 5th strings (B & G ) Your parallels will either be "side by side" or "over/under"

0/0--1/2--3/4--*12/12.....For the first 3 positions you would pinch the 2nd & 5th strings then the open 3rd string. Then the arpeggio for the parallel with the asterisk would be-Pinch 2nd & 5th-4-3-5-2-4 (2 times) & you repeat this section twice.

**Hint...Your middle finger never leaves the 5th string with the exception of the 0/0 open position. Use your index & middle for the all the "side by side" positions & your middle & ring finger for all the "over/under" positions. Basically just have to alternate the index & ring when it's apropriate.

0/0--1/2--3/4--*12/12

5/5--8/9--7/7--10/11--*8/9--*8/8--7/7--8/9--*5/5--*4/5--*3/4--*2/2--*1/2--*0/0

5/5--3/4--*2/2--*1/2--*0/0

Mess around with it for awhile & you'll catch on to the arpeggio pattern.

BTW When you play songs like this and "Norwegian Woods", Frampton's "Penny for your thoughts" or the Rolling Stone's "Brown Sugar" and "Start me up" that's when D-G-D-G-B-D ceases to be Taropatch slack key tuning & becomes Open G. FYI, I do play all the above songs
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  12:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply and very helpful suggestions, Duke! No doubt that will take me a long way to playing in open G! Hmm, Blackbird too! My friend in high school played that in standard tuning, and it seemed a very awkward piece to say the least, and it wasn't a smooth rendition either! He learned from the sheet music, and it didn't thrill me at the time, though I wasn't as adventurous as I am now at attempting things on the fly, or improvising as I am now.

I will have to give it a try now that you suggested it though, Duke. Thank you for the great guidance!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taropatch G has been around a long time. It has been documented in German lute tableture from 400 years ago. Blues players use it. It has been found in Latin America and parts of Europe. No one plays it like in Hawai'i, but the tuning's practicality has been explored.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Sir Paul used an open G tuning (not taropatch) for "Blackbird".

keaka
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  11:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruddah Jack, Open G is Taropatch tuning lol.(D-G-D-G-B-D) I didn't know he used Open G tuning. I just figured it out in the tuning and it played very well in taropatch. Much easier than when my friend taught it to me in standard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000