Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Honolulu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weejogs
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  11:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!

My name is Matt, and I moved to Oahu almost four years ago. I have really enjoyed living here, getting to know some fantastic people, and best of all, learning about Hawaiian music.

I've played guitar casually for about 10 years, then picked up ukulele soon after moving to the islands. Started on slack key maybe 2 years ago and fell in love with it. I've always been a fingerpicker and dig instrumental music, so it was a perfect fit.

I've learned mostly by ear and by watching videos on youtube, although recently I checked out Keola Beamer's The Art of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar DVD. Play Taro Patch the most but also F Wahine, Keola's C Wahine, and a handful of others. Favorite artists are Led Kaapana, Keola, Ozzie Kotani, George and Moses Kahumoku, Ray Kane, Cyril Pahinui, Jeff Peterson, the list goes on...

Any suggestions on songs to learn or live music to go see - or anything else - are welcome. Aloha!

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2017 :  3:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Matt

I'm Duke & I also live on Oahu in Honolulu. I also learned a lot by ear before meeting & studying under Ozzie. Maybe we can meet up & I can share some slack key with you. Or I can just share some slack key tabs with you if you prefer. Email me at "dukedomingo58 @ yahoo.com"

Duke
Go to Top of Page

JackSprat
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  3:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Matt, welcome to this friendly band of addicts! I picked up ki ho'alu about a year ago, and don't plan on ever putting it down. :-)

Tony
Go to Top of Page

weejogs
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  7:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome, Duke and Tony. Looking forward to learning from everyone on the forum.

Duke, appreciate the offer to meet up and to share tab, sounds great. I'll be in touch.

Aloha
Matt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000