Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 cavaquinho or cavaco, anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, all --

Branching off from the slacked-ukulele discussion, has anyone ever tried the Portuguese ancestor (not sure of any difference) cavaquinho or cavaco? This is a similarly sized 4-string instrument, but with steel strings, usually tuned DGBD. I'd like to try one, because slack key guitar style slides don't sound as good with a ukulele's nylon strings.

Anyone?

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  08:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am aware of the cavaquinho but have never had an opportunity to try one.

It is somewhat tougher to slide well on nylon strings, but keep at it. My issue with slack-key tunes on a four string instrument is the missing alternating bass lines. It works fine if I'm playing along with a bass player or a guitar, but just a ukulele by itself sounds a little anemic with slack key. Better players than I can make it work though.
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2017 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've learned a bit about them. There are very different flavors, and really beautiful instruments.
See http://www.cavaquinhos.pt/en/CAVAQUINHO/Cavaquinho%20PT.htm
The Portuguese cavaquinho has a fretboard flush with the top, so it is meant to be strummed rather than finger-style. The steel strings are all the same light guage, so you can really only get a fifth - d'gbd' or ggbd'. Brazil and Cape Verde have necks above the body, like guitars and ukuleles, and different guage strings, usually tuned dgbd'. Ditto the Madeiran version, also called a braguinha, which was brought to Hawaii by those 3 Madeiran cabinet makers ca. 1880 ... and became the daddy of the ukulele. I'll be getting a braguinha to play with in December.

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know folks from the islands that have an old quatro, an 8 string ukulele sized instrument, tuned the same but with metal strings. After the Spanish-American War, Puerto Ricans were imported to the islands to work cane, they brought their instruments with them. Ask Falsetto2002.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000