Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Gabby profiled on NPR today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  4:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/01/574985965/remembering-a-legendary-hawaiian-musician

Heidi Chang did a lovely feature for the New Year's Day edition of "All Things Considered," with clips from the children & grandchildren of Pops, along with Keola Beamer.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  12:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for posting that Retro...
...Nice little tribute to Gabby and sons.

P.S. - I know you had a radio show for a while.
Now I have one: Fridays 7AM to 10AM PST on KKUP 91.5FM...

...with live streaming at KKUP.ORG.

Been playing a fair bit of Martin, his voice was so amazing.
Had lessons from him out at George's workshop a few times.
He was a very nice Man indeed.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  4:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed listening to that.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  1:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

P.S. - I know you had a radio show for a while.
Now I have one: Fridays 7AM to 10AM PST on KKUP 91.5FM...
...with live streaming at KKUP.ORG.

While I had to give up being a regular on the Hawaiian shows here (I still pop in from time to time), my other big radio gig is HOSTING the nationally-syndicated public radio quiz show, "Says You!"

The show's creator/host/producer, Richard Sher, passed away a little over three years ago, after doing the show for twenty years.

I stepped in as an emergency panelist in Seattle a couple years back, which eventually led them to offer me the hosting gig a year ago. We tape the show all over the country, so I've been to Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, the Bay Area, a couple Massachusetts locations, Seattle (duh), and Cape Cod; Noeau was our musical guest at the Cape Cod shows.

If it's not on your local NPR station, you can hear old shows for free as podcasts or at www.SaysYou.net

And we are hoping to bring a performance to Hawai`i someday; HPR carries the show on Thursday nights.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  05:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, I do listen to "Says You" from time to time, so congrats on the gig!

I think it broadcasts on Sundays here, but I never remember the exact time and station. I will now pay more attention to this.

P.S. - I have been posting videos of Live Performances on KKUP,
either on my Mele O Hawaii show or on the Friday Folk Off show.

Sort of a poor man's Hi Sessions (or Tiny Desk): Very little setup time allowed, only a fixed camera (and maybe a roving handheld), no re-takes (since it is live after-all), etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKGHPPB8oVQCLIsahfzc6g/videos

(You may see some familiar faces)

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retro is the bassist for our band, Da Oddah Guyz, here in Seattle. He's a great guy and a good friend. He's also a regular at SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Association). His partner, Momi, (usually lurking on the TP Uke page) is a uke whiz, a dynamite photographer, and a dear friend, too. What a pair!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retro is the bassist for our band, Da Oddah Guyz, here in Seattle. He's a great guy and a good friend. He's also a regular at SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Association). His partner, Momi, (usually lurking on the TP Uke page) is a uke whiz, a dynamite photographer, and a dear friend, too. What a pair!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Aloha e Slipry1,

Yes, I know who Retro is (maybe others don't?)...

I was the first to post on this board after Andy started it,
and have been keeping up with all the posts.

Retro and I go back a long way (although we have never met),
and you started posting only 4 years after me, so you remember all this, yes?

I did make it to the Folk-Life festival once a time long ago, but somehow missed him.
Not many Taropatch members way back then (now there are LOTS of members listed, but few who post).

@ Retro- P.S.- Break a Lip!!

@ Slipry1- Your bio says that you played with Danny Kaopuiki.
Is that the same Kaopuiki honored by the Hapa Tune "Kaopuiki Aloha"?

@ Retro and Slipry1...
If Da Oddaguyz want to come down to San Jose, CA., you are welcome to perform live on my show, or I potentially can get you on several other shows on KKUP. We could even make a video and post it on YouTube, like I have done with some odda guyz.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/10/2018 10:19:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000