Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kaua`i Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just back from our annual Kaua`i emersion. Not much good news to report from the music scene.

At Po`ipu, The Klub at Kuahuna, previously Joe's on the Green, our favorite breakfast place and happy hour with Hawaiian music place, has gone holoholo. It's now Paco's Tacos. They do serve breakfast, and it was excellent, but you have to listen to Mexican music while you eat. Just not the same. Kirby Keough, a fixture at Joe's for years, doesn't play there anymore. They have live music 4 or 5 nights, but no Hawaiian. We went there for dinner and the music was so loud (Lord, I was Born a Ramblin Man), we bailed and ate Bubba burgers. Kirby plays at Merrimans in Kukuiula Shops, but it's upstairs where it will cost you $60/head to eat average food.

Went searching for Leilani Rivera Low in Waipuli, but was told she only does her Keiki show 1 night and doesn't perform solo anymore. She does a luau at the Marriot twice a week, but I don't to luaus.

The biggest disappointment was finding no one who could tell us reliably where any Hawaiian music was. I hit the KKCR website for info, but it hadn't been updated recently and most of the data was out of date or just wrong. I think Dennis Chun and Pancho Graham still do weekly gigs at the Hukilau Lanai, but our schedules didn't mesh for them. So on our 20th trip to Kaua`i we found no Hawaiian music.

Koloa town has been sold and at least some of the current vendors are on notice to get out by Jan 2019. The Kamoa Ukulele Store has moved to Kapa`a. No one knows what's going to happen. They are supposedly going to build a three story parking structure and office buildings across from the candle factory, but that property has been "under development" since 2009, so who knows. The new owners are even making the local doctor, who's been there forever, relocate.

Oh. I also got sick 2 days before leaving for Kaua`i and spent a solid week, including an expensive visit from a mobile MD and 13 hours (both ways) on an airplane, wishing I was home.

Just wait til next year.

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  4:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummers about the trip, Terry. Next year make sure you include a weekend on Oahu. At least you could count on me to hustle up a kanikapila in your honor.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  4:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Terry,

That's a bummer. My parents were there, possibly the same time as you. I think they tried Paco's Tacos. They too said there wasn't much Hawaiian music to be found.

Hope you're fully recovered and feeling better.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are at our last night in Kaua'i after a great Aloha Music Camp. Last weekend had the Steel Guitar Festival in Waipouli (Thursday night kickoff in Poipū) and a big hula ho'ike in Lihue. I jammed with one of the locals, Haunani Kaui,, a couple times. (The camp itself had choke music, of course, I had workshops wth Jeff Peterson, Alan Akaka, Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, and Kevin Brown.)
I'm sorry you didn't get connected with music here....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  7:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where was the Aloha Music Camp? I know Haunani Kaui. She hooked up with Leilani Rivera Low a few yeas ago after something like 20 years doing cruise ship gigs. A real pro. Couldn't find her either when we were there. When Mike Young was alive and Leilani was at the Hyatt, we used to hear about most of the music. Alas, things have changed.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haunani plays Saturday Nights at the Marriott Courtyard in Waipouli (almost to Kapa'a). And that was where Aloha Music Camp and the Kaua'i Steel festival were.
Haunani is indeed a terrific musician, and I was honored by her interest in my Hawaiian fiddle attempts. She stayed after and jammed for a couple hours after her gig...
Just got back to Seattle. ** sigh **

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie and I were there with an old USNA Classmate and his wife last July. We stayed at a condo in Poipu. We were very disappointed with finding any good music. Closest was in Poipu at Keoki's. I had my tenor ukulele with me and serenaded the haole's. I had the same experiences with the old ukulele store and Koloa Town. At least the beaches are still good!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000