Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 The Pahinuis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  03:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent some time Thursday with Kawika Kahiapo (he and Nathan Aweau were doing a gig in Temecula). We were discussing the changing of the guard at the Na Hokus because I mentioned I knew virtually nothing of most of the winners. He said that he had recently met with Bla Pahinui who is going through stage 4 lung cancer ( I hadn't heard that) and that Uncle Cyril is bedridden and just hanging on. His cogent comment was "Maybe we'll never hear a Pahinui sing again". Auwe.

CharlesHSauer
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit CharlesHSauer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cyril seems to be getting frequent visitors that play/sing for him live on Facebook.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2018 :  09:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always sorry to hear of serious health difficulties. (I have to go visit a friend again this afternoon who just had major back surgery to avoid ending up in a wheelchair at 61). Fingers crossed....

When we were in Honolulu in April 2015, we attended the performance of Uncle Cyril and Peter Moon Jr at the Kanikapila Grille. Introducing myself before the show, I reminded him of having been in a workshop or two he taught over the years. He graciously pointed at his his guitar and said, "Play us a few". While honored I declined saying, "This is your gig, uncle, and I would never dream of intruding".

As for changing of the guard, this is happening throughout music as us baby boomers and pre-boomers age. Hardly a week goes by without losing one of the great musicians from our misspent youth. Auwe indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers to Cyril and Bla...our teachers and friends. Thankful...What was this Colorado boy doing riding to camp and being in a kanikapila with Cyril, was I dreaming? No, These dreams and memories--they're true and real. Mahalo.

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to the video of Gabby's Statue dedication from May 2017. This celebration was well attended by the Pahinui Ohana, except Cyril and Martin. The first group is the Sons of Yeshua with Martin's talented son, also named Gabby, on ukulele. It was an awesome night, seeing many of the family members perform in song and dance, as well as other musicians.

http://channel808.tv/2017/recorded-live-gabby-pops-pahinui-statue-unveiling-at-waikiki-beach-walk-on-52617/

This site also has a video from last month's first annual celebration.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  4:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

"Maybe we'll never hear a Pahinui sing again". Auwe.

Kawika mentioned that to me too. Makes me grateful for spending time with some of you and the masters. It's sad to think of those (taropatchers and slack key masters) who are no longer here with us.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2018 :  12:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We play for ourselves, for those who listen (music is communication 1st, then "product"-CDs & recordings), to help us remember our musical instructors and friends and to pass the good things on to the next generation. "A song shouldn't die." - D L Menard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000