Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sharing the love of ki ho'alu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anela51
Aloha

10 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  11:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At my guitar lesson on Saturday, my instructor (a classical guitarist who teaches fingerstyle and is teaching me Hawaiian Slack Key style) told me that he’s playing at a wedding for a friend of his in December and needed to start practicing to prepare for it. And then he surprised me by telling me that, since it was a Hawaiian-themed wedding, he was going to work on playing some Hawaiian Slack Key guitar music for it, and that I inspired him to do it!

You never know how Ki ho’alu will touch the hearts of others!!

Mahalo!
Anela

Mahalo!
Anela

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  04:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool! Many people are intrigued by the sound of ki ho'alu when they hear it. We all need to get out more......

I've played at a couple of weddings, but never slack-key.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Very cool! Many people are intrigued by the sound of ki ho'alu when they hear it. We all need to get out more......

I've played slack key for people before, and they've made appreciative noises, but no one's ever started to learn to play it themselves.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  04:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Education is one tune at a time. "Classical" style is based on folk music, Taropatch tuning was documented in German lute tab 400 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  06:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made one convert-- wore my friend down until he slacked those strings. It's all he plays now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000