Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Palani Vaughan On CD???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcraft1
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2021 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone in this group ever come across CD versions of Palani Vaughan & The Kings Own first four albums ( Iā`oe E Ka Lā vols. 1-4), or the last two volumes (3&4) of the "Kaulana Nā Pua"?

As part of my ongoing online accrual of Hawaiian music, I obtained the 3 Palani Vaughan compilations (one of which is just a repackaging) and most recently, one single album release, Kaulana Nā Pua Vol. II.

This latest acquisition, includes an order form from Nakahili Productions (Like its founder,now sadly defunct) for CD & cassette versions of all of the Palani Vaughan with the Kings Own titles.

I know that the first two volumes of the Kaulana Nā Pua series were released on CD, but as for all the other individual albums, I've found no online listing or reference, other than vinyl versions.

I'm hoping for a reality check on the existence of these CD versions.

Dis they ever actually get produced?

Thanks in Advance.

Slack Key is timeless, yet always new.
Blessings and peace be upon the de-tuned.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  05:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry that I cannot answer your question. I wanted to post to let you know that this one and your other thread about Christmas CD's were not being ignored. It has been VERY quiet around here lately. [crickets]

A new and problematic guitar has been distracting me for about three months. The tone is really bad, but being a custom order it is non-returnable, and the builder has not been very understanding. The struggle has been to find strings and saddle materials that will mellow down the excessively harsh "nails-on-a-chalkboard" tone.

On the plus side, that exercise went as far as it could go and I am back to playing slack-key (on other guitars) rather than testing new string sets in standard tuning on "the lemon".
Go to Top of Page

jcraft1
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  09:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Earl,
Thanks for the status report...I was feeling like I might be "lost in the long grass".
I'm sorry that you've been struggling with your custom acquisition - Is it it one of the guitars listed in your profile?

One of the (very) few upsides to the pandemic has been the abundance of practice time, although I suspect I practiced more when my "Boomer Music" band was till able to gig regularly (and constantly trying new tunes). I am easily distracted from practicing slack key because I get lost in just listening and savoring the music.

I just got into Hawaiian music, including slack key and lap steel (acoustic & electric) a couple years ago.
I've been obsessively accruing Hawaiian music CDs (both new and used) for the last year (~150, plus digital downloads). I have lots of listening time :-)

This forum has been a wealth of info and has a lot of helpful folks, like yourself and Chunky Monkey (a San Diego resident like myself).
Thanks Again, and good luck with that "lemon"!

Slack Key is timeless, yet always new.
Blessings and peace be upon the de-tuned.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  1:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No the "problem child" is a custom carbon fiber guitar from Emerald Guitars in Ireland. I own several other examples of their work which are wonderful. So I wanted the cherry on top and ordered a short scale version of the X20 that I already have, to help my aging hands. But this one is incredibly harsh and shrill. They were reluctantly willing to take it back - if I paid a $450 restock fee. Instead I opted to struggle with it for a while to seem if the tone could be tamed. That has proven to be a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  07:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes a guitar just doesn't work out--and dealers and even luthiers are often willing to take back an instrument that disappoints and all it costs is the shipping charge. If this were a new conventionally-made guitar, there's a chance that it would break in, but carbon fiber doesn't behave that way.

But maybe a different pair of ears will like the sound of the Emerald (there's no accouting for taste) and you'll be able to sell it on for less of a loss than the restocking fee+shipping-to-Ireland. Two years ago I returned a guitar--an older luthier-built instrument--I had every reason to think was going to be fine, and while it cost me $100+, that beat keeping a $3000 instrument that just wasn't working out. And it's not the first time I've had that experience. Which is one reason I love in-person guitar shopping--I've never returned a guitar I've personally test-played.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  09:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Russell. I have been wrestling with this for three months now, ever since it first arrived. It has worn seven different types and gauges of strings so far, each progressively mellower. It now has a bone saddle that sits on two layers of rubber band (!!) in the saddle slot as a selective vibration isolator. Those changes made it palatable for bare-nails fingerstyle, but still too strident for strumming. It is disappointing that I got a "lemon" after owning five other examples of their work that are fine. Something went wrong in the build. I describe the previous stock model as a rosewood/spruce Martin tone, but this one is like the brightest maple Taylor guitar you could imagine, wearing very bright 80/20 strings.

Given the very bright tone to my healthy ears, I can say that this guitar would be good for someone playing lead in an acoustic jam (it would cut through nicely). It would also be good for someone with high frequency hearing loss. It is listed on my Craigslist already, but both of the inquiries so far walked away after I explained the brightness issue. I don't want the bad karma of passing a dud along to an unsuspecting buyer. If someone asks, I answer honestly.

Apologies for drifting far from jcraft's inquiry. Now back to your regular programming....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000