Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Vocal styles, training, and "finding your voice">
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok,den, drop c is like Keola’s C? Then Bradda Fran mentioned C, which would be open C? I Liked Earl’s post, I do tend to have a touch of throat singing tendencies. I’ve also been told that I sound like Danny Kaleikini at times, when I’m trying to impersonate Elvis.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  05:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drop C is also called "Leonard's C" after Uncle Leonard Kwan. Low to high: CGDGBD, used extensively on "the red album". I originally learned "Kilauea" tuning as "C Wahine" or "Keola's C" back in the '70s.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 03/28/2018 05:42:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  06:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a little video on Drop C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcV-I8Tazlk

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  08:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the above quote (Book of Ear)l,
"During one of the three voice lessons I took years ago, the teacher said, "Bark like a dog". Huh? Bark in the middle of your speaking voice range, then extend the duration to actually make a note. The barking motion uses all the supporting core muscles and your diaphragm. It was the clearest description that I've ever heard."

to which I reply: But THAT IS my speaking and singing voice!
Oh man, this room can get Ruff!
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  1:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find drills of playing chord progressions that create muscle memory make it easier to find a key suitable for my vocal range and play right into it. These tend to be the keys I use most often:

Key_Chord Progression.......................Key_Vamp C - ..C.....C7....F....Fm....G7....C...........C -...D7...G7...C.... F - ..F......F7....Bb..Bbm..C7....F............F -...G7...C7...F.... A - ..A.....A7....D....Dm...E7.....A...........A -...B7....E7...A... G - ..G....G7....C....Cm...D7....G...........G -...A7...D7...G... D - ..D....D7....G....Gm...A7....D............D -...E7...A7...D...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  03:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all about finding the patterns.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly