Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  4:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try to check in once a week but this past month has been very busy with work leaving little time to play. Even posts on YouTube have fallen off over the past couple of years. Since I have not found any players down here in the South, I use videos on YouTube to play along with, following along with many of Fran and Led videos.

Duke, want to let you know that I will be coming home in NOV. Will be there for almost two weeks so hope for maybe a weekend kanikapila with you. I will send you a separate email with more details.
tom
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  5:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As soon as I saw your post I immediately wondered if you'd have time to get together for a kanikapila on your visit home this year.Hahaha!!! Eh brah who knows, the stars and planets may align & you can play with Led and Fran live instead of on YouTube at my kanikapila. But if we can't "Trap" Led & Fran, I'm sure you'll love playing with all the other very talented kiho'alu players who usually attend my kanikapila. Been hosting regular kanikapila for the last 8 months or so. If you have free time this coming trip I'll definitely hustle a get together.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2018 :  08:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even if you can't trap Led, I'm always willing to take the bait. Please let me know when you're gathering the players and I'll do my best to be there.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2018 :  5:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fran

You happen to be in town? I got 2 kanikapila coming up. One is set for next week Saturday June 30th & the other is the following Saturday July 7th. Let me know if you're available & I'll send you the details.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awwright, that was one terrific kanikapilafication. Mahalo to Duke for so many things - providing place with space and shade, plenty grinds before the pot lucked (ono pipi stew!), and having the connections - so many excellent players respond to his call. It's a privilege and a joy to be part of one of his sessions.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  07:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from above, Sirduke58. "(people)I bump into both more frequenlty on Facebook than here. Too bad this site became obsolete because I've made so many lifelong friends here."

Obsolete? Just because many things in the world have changed doesn't mean it's obsolete.

Yes I drop into Facebook, why I have friends there I don't even really know, or probably may not even like very much.

So go there maybe once or twice a wee. But not as much time over-spent on Facebook--perhaps IT'S becoming obsolete, unless they stop congruel-ulatinting people I don't like, sharing our info carelessly, and chasing money and power over caring.
So even on days there's only a few disciples in the Taropathch room, our patch, and the Aloha method of sharing, practicing business, and maybe even governing will re-surface and indeed, survive.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/22/2018 07:56:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My thought when reading your post was:
I'd much rather have a handful of true friends with things in common than many thousands of FB acquaintances or random contacts.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  10:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my humble opinion, Taropatch members have an affinity for denouncing Facebook. True it has it's flaws as stated many times before here in the 'Patch but there are also a lot of positives/advantages not offered here.( No offense Andy. I am forever indebted to this site for the lifelong friends I've made here)

For instance. there are a bunch of slack key groups I frequent where all the other elements of social media are absent. Members of these groups are either avid enthusiasts or actual players. As a result I've met many & had kanikapila sessions with them.Unlike taropatch.net you encounter a higher volume of people.Therefore, much more interaction.As with YouTube, the amount of "views" and "likes" are known & kept. Sure, you could interpret it as "feeding one's ego" but this feedback could also be valuable in determining if you're headed in the right direction in your kiho'alu journey. You could get real time validation or constructive criticism. Both highly coveted in my opinion.

If I desire, I can videotape short (or lenghty) tutorials of riffs, variations or sections of popular slack key songs. I can demonstrate techniques that are very difficult to explain in text. Viewrs trying to learn them can interact with one another in real time & help one another understand the tutorial. As an example, say I wrote the directions of how to execute a "Brush Stop" Someone trying to decipher the text would struggle to pick it up but if I showed you in a video you'd grasp the concept much easier.

Another huge advantage of Facebook is the live music feeds. Ledward is famous for doing live feeds. Whenever he has down time he will set up a camera & play live. You can interact with him, he can see who's watching & will often times acknowledge & converse with you. Lots of folks like Bobby Moderow, Don Kaulia, David Kaio & other lesser know but equally talented slack key guitarists do these live interactive performances.

Whether you patronize Facebook or not is your perogative. Just saying don't completely write it off because of preconceived prejudices you have concerning some aspects of social media. You're probably goning to miss out on some great moments. It's like when I got comped by Patrick Landeza to a Jeff Peterson slack key workshop. I personally don't care for Jeff's take on kiho'alu (Awesome guitarist. Just doesn't sound Hawaiian IMHO)I didn't want to attend but did so to keep Paul Certo company. Although I admittedly had prejudices going in, I did manage to walk out of the workshop with a few tidbits of mana'o I would not have considered if not for Jeff.

Just remember, you can always choose what kind of & who you get notifications from.

Aloha,
Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  10:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

In my humble opinion, Taropatch members have an affinity for denouncing Facebook. True it has it's flaws as stated many times before here in the 'Patch but there are also a lot of positives/advantages not offered here.

Fair points, Duke. I'm still not gonna go there, but I will consider your comments. My wife is on Facebook, so I could explore using her account. There are enough ways to waste / spend my free time online as it is. I find myself participating in forums less these days anyway.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm here, as usual, browsing.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As am I......
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  4:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I'm here, as usual, browsing.

Likewise

Today was supposed to be new guitar day, but it'll be tomorrow now, as the courier showed up at home at the precise time when my wife had to head out for an appointment

I ordered myself a new acoustic for the trip to camp next year. It's a cheap one, so I don't have to risk my beloved cedar topped Ovation on the flight. The place I ordered it from had a sale on, so I got the guitar for nearly half price: A$99 Should be fun to play with.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  04:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One should always have access to a camping guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  12:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

One should always have access to a camping guitar.

Indeed.

Not that I've been camping in a long time. Last time was alongside the Icefields Parkway in the Canadian Rockies in 2007, long before I started playing guitar.

Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  02:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eynowd
I ordered myself a new acoustic for the trip to camp next year. It's a cheap one, so I don't have to risk my beloved cedar topped Ovation on the flight. The place I ordered it from had a sale on, so I got the guitar for nearly half price: A$99 Should be fun to play with.

I recorded a quick video of me playing the new guitar tonight. For a cheap guitar, it's very playable once I put a decent set of strings on it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000