Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2018 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've contributed to the 'quietness' myself. I check in about once a month but don't contribute much.

That's going to change! We grow older, and life throws us curveballs sometimes. In the past, personally, I've always reverted to Kiho'alu to soothe my soul. Soothe my soul when my world starts to become undone.
I'm coming into another one of those, "oh God, what just happened" phases of my existence, unfortunately. But...

Fortunately, I'll revert to what makes my soul sing...Kiho'alu, this Site, and the folks on it. I know that.

I've created, written, and played my best my entire life, when I've been under extreme stress, and packed it all away as 'something I've done' when I'm not. Human nature I suppose.

Anyway, I wanted to check IN! Andy, John, Terry, Keith M, Craig, Dusty, and everyone else who've mentored me, I'm looking at you John....I hope to hear more from you soon.

Was it really 16 years ago we all met on the Big Island? Really? I'm getting old.
Cheers! from Santa Cruz
Cmdr "Hey Andy, am I banned this week?" Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student

Edited by - cmdrpiffle on 09/22/2018 5:02:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2018 :  11:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Growth can be harsh. Stretching isn't always comfortable. Creativity is always surprising and necessary. Ki ho'alu does, indeed, lower blood pressure, aid digestion, and promote good humor.
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must admit that I too have been contributing to the silence, the demands of life takes over and a month goes by before you realize it. Anyway I need to get the guitar out and start practicing so I don't embarrass myself when I go home in NOV and kanikapila with Duke.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2018 :  2:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still cruise through almost daily, but it has been quiet again.

We went to Eastern WA for a Hawaiian gathering last weekend. However, this event is by invitation only, so I won't disclose any details here. Much wonderful music and fellowship, ~300 present with pot luck food contributions for at least 400, and a wonderful family friendly time had by all. We'll be back next year!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got together with one of the uncles last night for about 90 minutes of jamming, while his daughter taught a hula class in the next room. At the end, he said next time we should concentrate on slack-key.

After circulating emails this morning, we now have a couple more uncles on board. Kani!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  11:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Earl!!!! Hopefully it's the beginning of building a network. That's one of the unexpected fruits of my kanikapilas. Bands have been formed because musicians have met at my kanikapilas. Some of them hook up to share mana'o or just make jam partners. Good luck with building a network, Earl.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The network is building nicely, Duke. We were hooked up with a local Hawaiian contact several years ago, but she moved back to the islands and the circle kinda fell apart.

Now we have reconnected through this family and are building a new network for friendship, kanikapila, and learning. For example, we went to a big party in WA last month that was just an absolute blast. Without knowing these folks, the invite would never have come. It's all good - again.

I'll never forget my last trip to the Islands in 2015. Sat in with the hotel band after they noticed me singing along with every song, met with Uncle Cyril before his show at the Outrigger (where he graciously offered to let me play a tune or two), met many local kupuna riding Da Bus around Honolulu that week, and snorkeled every chance we got. Unfortunately that will probably be my last trip to Hawaii, since I cannot fly anymore.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  05:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stick with it Sirduke...Taropatch is still very relevant...🙂🎸
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  09:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pass through every day. Most of my steel guitar stuff is posted in The Steel Guitar Forum. I also play pedal steel - country, western swing and Cajun - so I can see what's going on. I post in the steel guitar section here to announce festivals, etc. I do like the talk story section, tho.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Music in our present culture is "product"- recordings done "perfectly". Music is actually "communication", 1/2 the job is done by the musician, the rest is up to the audience (who hear the tune differently because of what they bring to the occasion). Playing live allows for smiles, nods, laughing, sadness, and a better physical appreciation of the craft.
Like Duke wen tell, we stay building one network.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Music in our present culture is "product"- recordings done "perfectly".

I like that way that you put it, Thumbstruck. I have often said that there are two kinds of people in the world who enjoy music: One group plays CD's, and the other plays instruments. The second group has WAY more fun, but has to work at it.

Not an original quote, but I forget where I first heard it.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2018 :  5:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, live music is best. Like Hans told me (in the polka band I'm in), we educate them one polka at a time. Same for any traditional art. Learning then familiarity, then real enjoyment.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  07:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IT has once again been silent around here. Where is everybody?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been (said in hushed whisper) practicing...

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

IT has once again been silent around here. Where is everybody?

I as thinking the same thing myself. I still check in almost daily, but tend not to post unless I actually have something to say. Or to quote Pink Floyd, "Is there anybody out there"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000