Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bit the bullet, bought the bass. Kala, that is. Played it for an hour at a SUPA jam today at Dusty Strings, went for the fretless model.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  8:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awright how's da sound. You going bring um to da gig?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  1:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Awright how's da sound. You going bring um to da gig?

Sounds good - more like an acoustic bass; I'll bring um.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  07:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Bit the bullet, bought the bass. Kala, that is. Played it for an hour at a SUPA jam today at Dusty Strings, went for the fretless model.

And chose the fretless because?? Intonation not good enough on the fretted?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

And chose the fretless because?? Intonation not good enough on the fretted?
A big part of it was the "feel" of those strings. I had a chance to play a fretted one on a couple of tunes at a gig a few weeks ago, and was adjusting my playing to those (to me, unusual) strings. I found that I didn't like the way they felt against frets and wondered what the fretless one would feel like, and what that would do to my playing.

I had a fretless acoustic bass guitar when I first started seriously learning bass, but it was not a good "learning" instrument, so I've been playing fretted since. But there are certain techniques that I've been trying that work nicely on a fretless instrument, and I no longer had the one I used to own.

When the opportunity came up last weekend to try out a fretless U-Bass for an hour or so with our `ukulele ensemble, courtesy of the fine folks at Dusty Strings, I took it. It felt good, it sounded good, I wasn't having intonation issues (beyond my own limitations as a player, that is), so I decided to go for it then and there.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  1:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww man I was going buy um fo your B'day an den.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000