Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 quiet here lately (cricket sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  3:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Eynowd,

If you do connect with Ozzie, make it worth the trip. Schedule 2 or 3 hours at least and go there with a plan on what you want to learn. If you do connect, let him know what you'd like to do in advance so that he can prepare. I always thought Ozzie shied away from doing videos, but when I was there he suggested it; I wasn't prepared. Video him if you can. Ozzie likes to "talk story". See if Duke can get in touch with him. Ozzie's place is a little hard to find.

I've already been in touch with Duke, and given him him (Australian) mobile number to pass onto Oz. I just haven't heard back since then. I know Ozzie's a busy guy, so I don't want to hassle him too much.

As I said, it'd be great if I could get a lesson, but if it doesn't work out, it's OK too. If it does work out, I do have a little Canon camera that shoots HD video, and a Zoom field recorder for recording decent audio.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  12:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff,
I visited Ozzie at his home (beware, his Mom lives down the street, but she was lovely and guided me in the right path). I have had several lessons from him.

He pointed out several things I could improve upon just by listening to me play. Of course, I did the dumb thing an played one of his cover songs...

** For example, I had a thumbpick on and he thought I could obtain a better touch and a wider array of tonality by learning to use the flesh and also fingernail of my thumb -- I was only trying to master the alternating bass lines...

I wish I had a video of the personal lessons, but I think my memories are far richer.

As an aside, see if you can get a lesson from Peter Medeiros in Kaneoe -- after all, he is a college professor in Hawaiian Music.
Kapena Mika'ele

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2019 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter Medeiros knows plenty history and has a great touch. Worthwhile to meet him, talk story, learn....
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look often, but don't make any entries, just read various posts...I play daily, but other than having Chunky Monkey, and Dusty "near" me, I find myself more a Lone Wolf now. No body near me plays Sllack Key. I play the occasional open mic, but thats about it. I still love this site, but some members posts I find simply unreadable, and thats putting it nicely.
~ slkho
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unreadable?
The 'patch beats FB, more personality and detail although less pictures. Oh, well.....
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I get the "unreadable" part. No disrespect intended, but when a post is written in heavy pidgin, I have to sound it out verbally to make sense of it. It is far easier to hear and understand pidgin than to read and translate it. IMHO.

I attended a kanikapila yesterday. I did not plan ahead very well and had a large lunch, so felt no need to eat at ~2:30 when they broke for ono grinds. I played ki ho'alu while everyone else ate, and then a couple of fellows grabbed ukulele to strum along with me. We all played for another hour or so and I got some dessert before packing up.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FB has a "HPE" - Hawaiian Pidgin English page, to join, one must write in HPE, no standard spelling - sounding it out a must - good "ear training"....
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slkho

I look often, but don't make any entries, just read various posts...I play daily, but other than having Chunky Monkey, and Dusty "near" me, I find myself more a Lone Wolf now. No body near me plays Sllack Key. I play the occasional open mic, but thats about it.
~ slkho

I hear ya. Australia is a dead zone for slack key players. There's only two other guys I know of (and I've only met one of them) that play slack key in the whole country (which is about the same size as the mainland USA, for comparison). Both of those guys live about eight hours from me.

There isn't even a Hawaiian music scene of any sort here. I even went so far as to contact the US Embassy to see if they knew of anything, and they didn't.

I guess that's why people were so surprised when an Australian showed up at Uncle George's Maui workshop this year, and actually could play some slack key.

quote:
Originally posted by slkho
I still love this site, but some members posts I find simply unreadable, and thats putting it nicely.

I have to say, I'm not overly fond of it myself. I'm definitely not saying that people who like it should stop (as they obviously enjoy it, and it's part of the attraction of the 'Patch for them), but I often end up feeling like they're taking the piss It's actually discouraged me from asking questions at times.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2019 :  10:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff, back in the day Talk Story had a HUGE pidgin thread (good fun, memories, small kid time, recipes, puns, etc). Check YouTube - Andy Bumatai "The Daily Pidgin" for good humor and insights. (Andy Bumatai had a video of Kermet Apio and me on episode #66).
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  06:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody home?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2019 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Anybody home?

`Ae

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  04:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To quote someone earlier in the thread, "it has been pretty quiet lately".

I cruise through almost daily but only post when there is something somewhat relevant to say.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2019 :  09:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In bygone days "talk story" would have postings in almost infinite spellings of HPE by Duke, Peter (da professa), Bradda Ed, Mempachi Man, li'dat, on almos' any kine subject - food, music, small kid time, - FB is no substitute......
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  04:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is quite possible that Facebook could become dangerously unusable for a number of reasons. So, keep using Taropatch.
No scam-dodging here. A'ole pilikea.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I borrow someone's cricket? Or even a coqui frog. It's so cold here tonight (Colorado), that my cricket has up and "moved to Arizona", (or Hawaii), lucky Frog...
"oooh, what a lucky frog, he was...

"It's not a rotten brain...it's a good brain"
...only frozen.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/29/2019 10:25:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000