Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Atta's C
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Through Craig's graciousness, my meagre analyis of Atta's C is available for viewing at:

http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/attasc.pdf

If you have trouble opening the PDF you might need to download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (free) from www.adobe.com.

Errata:
17 seconds after I sent it to Craig, I realized I had not included a hammer in the tab of the 3rd measures of Namaka's Mele in Atta's C, even though I put it in Oz's original. Follow the notation in Oz's version. I suspect that more ommissions and errors will float to the surface.

Play on...

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/01/2003 8:38:27 PM

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  9:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Reid, if you send me a corrected version I'll replace the one that's there now.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  11:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Craig, but don't bother. As I said to you before, this shouldn't be a career. If people read what I said above (and, otherwise, how would they know about it?) they can just insert the hammer if and when they print it out, and if they care. No big thang. I just meant for this to be a small introduction to the tuning for a small number of people who hang out here (and so I, myself, can use it to figure out stuff), and I am sure it has a limited lifetime.

So, let's just let it stay the way it is.

Thanks again,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  3:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Addendum:

Oh, what a dunce I am. I didn't read carefully what I wrote.

Sarah and I were fooling around with Atta's C (Sarah got lots better sounds than I did by fretting the bass strings) and I realized something I should have known.

Because the intervals between the 6th, 5th and 4th strings are a 5th, then a 6th, you get the Keola-ish/Hanson-ish sounds (that I talked about in the analysis) for almost free. In "Hula Na La`au", Keola has you do one of the infamous hinge barres and a long stretch on the treble strings simultaneously. With Atta's C, you get the same notes simply by barreing the 5th fret and putting another finger on the 2nd string of the 7th fret. That is a move you have been making forever in Taro Patch. Too easy! You can do that all over the fretboard, too, to get Keola-ish sounds.

I am sure that I'll discover more things I missed as I use it more. And, I'll probably bore you to death.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/02/2003 3:59:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
Just looked over your document - most excellent work.
Thank you for posting this valuable information, which, by the way, would be a steal at $10 - $15 if it had to be purchased.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  9:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I have to say - nice job Reid! Very useful, thorough information. I must give it try and maybe get a personal lesson from you sometime in August.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Atta's C is my favorite tune. I play 'Makaha Moon', 'Manini Slack Key' and 'How'dya Do' in Atta's C.

The same tune that Cyril plays too. I love the low bass string when you alternate the highs and lows. Here's a clue to 'How'dya Do'....hold the F (bar on the 5th fret) and find the rest of the song.

Everybody plays this song different...I had the opportunity of watching Atta play up close 'cause his Son Barney lives across the street from my wife's parents' home in Wai'anae. This was the early 80's when I was in tune to rock and disco. In 1990 I started to really enjoy playing this tune and tried to remember how he used to play it all by himself and if you listen to my version on Freehand...that about the closest I got to remembering Atta's solo styling. I love Atta's style.

It was Cyril whom shared with me about how Atta learned to play slack key from Pops Gabby. Being that Atta came from a talented family where everybody was playing steel guitar. And Pops himself was very gifted with slack key and steel guitar. My grandfather John 'Puni' Kauli'a used to have jam sessions in Kakaako when Gabby was a youth and shared with Gabby the 'harmonic stylings' you here in Gabby's Sunday Manoa version of the waltz or Feet Roger's harmonics with the Son's of Hawaii. That's what my grandfather was known for and most noted for the composition of 'E lili'u E.

So Atta and Gabby carried on from the old Kakaako days and became well known in the 1950s, 60s, 70s and still popular today. I'm glad you're all into playing slack key...especially Atta's 'C'.

Bye,
Donald

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000