Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 PA systems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  8:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'm thinking about purchasing a moderately priced PA system and don't know much about what specs I should be weighing.

Well, Duke, as an official old guy (I have the shirt) I'd sugest adding weight to your list of specs.

Just for grins, here's another option: a little Mackie mixer w/ effects (DFX-6 @ $190 street, DFX 12 @ $239) plus a couple of small powered speakers. The advantage? Very good audio quality, more flexibility than the usual all-in-one power head (mixer plus amp) and the ability to only bring one speaker if ya want. Of the powered PA speakers out there, I have only used the Mackie SRM450 (absolutely great, but pricey) and the JBL Eon 15. (ditto, and ditto, only slightly less so on both counts. JBL used to make a powered Eon 10 that's very cool). I've heard good reports on the Yamahas (half the price of the Eons).... nothing yet on the Samsons.

All you'd need to add is cable and stands if you want 'em. Easy to set up, easy on the back.

Oh, and these speakers show up on e-bay all the time.

Happy shopping!

Mark, who sold his Bose 801's and bought some cheezy Peavy speakers cuz he could lift both of 'em with one hand....

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  12:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mark,

Peavy for Bose?.....uhh, anyway, like you said...we're old!

I'll be seein' you and Annie on Molokai next year!!!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  03:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, folks, for revisiting this topic. Mainkaukau--John Keawe told me that he uses the Fender Passport series (not sure if he's using the 150 or 250), and that's he's happy with the rig. From my research, I believe the Fender stands work for both. My research also revealed that the deluxe series is deluxe because Fender had Bose retool the speakers...so they're Bose speakers. To Mark: What goes around comes around :)

Edited by - duke on 09/19/2003 03:43:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Much mahalo for the information. "May your strings never break during a performance".
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  1:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Duke,

Maybe John can tell you how well the Passport travels on a airplane. with it's particular shape and assembly, I wonder how well it takes baggage handling. I know that George Kahumoku (who everyone knows travels a lot) uses the little Carvin. He puts it inside a picnic-style (Igloo) plastic cooler (it fits just right) and so the Picnic cooler takes the damage. The cooler is then taped shut with extra duct tape to make sure it stays closed. Maybe the same thing can be done with the Passport but it would take a very large cooler, probably larger than the 62 linear inch limit of the airlines.

So I would like to hear how John travels by plane with his passport. It does have more channels than the Carvin so it has an advantage in that category.

Those power speakers Mark mentions could also be slipped into a Cooler no doubt, and the little mixer into the other luggage.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  7:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Those power speakers Mark mentions could also be slipped into a Cooler no doubt, and the little mixer into the other luggage.

Well, my personal favorite cooler is a Midori and tonic -- tho' for a mixer I'd add a little gin.

Peavy for Bose?

For the answer, see comment above about coolers and mixers....

Speaking of air shipping:

My all time favorite thing to see come down the baggage carousel was an unboxed outboard motor. Alaska, natch.

take care!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  9:51:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Well, my personal favorite cooler is a Midori and tonic -- tho' for a mixer I'd add a little gin.

Mark

ALRIGHT!...... NOW we're talkin'!.....

I have a secret recipe for a Midori Margarita that will "sock you knocks off"!! (It is NOT the one on the little booklet that comes with the Midori bottle)

Think... Bruce Cockburn....

Think.... Nicaragua.....

Obscure references?... You Bet....

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page