Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Fingerpicks and Thumbpicks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  3:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
Hi TaroPatch:

So, I've recently been experimenting with a National thumbpick and three metal fingerpicks (brand unknown). I've never had much luck with these types of picks, but after seeing Led Kaapana work his magic on the Homespun Tapes video, I had to give it a shot. It is definitly an adjustment (one I'm still making), but they seem to provide a more consistent and strong tone. Are others among you playing with these types of picks? What adjustments have you had to make? Any potential issues lurking out there with making this kind of switch?

Thanks!

---Mike

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Hi Mike
I do not use finger and thumbpicks, although I do know several players who do. Yes they help with tone and power, but there is a potential complication. Leo Kottke was a user of these, especially for high power 12 string work. He had to abandon them due to the onset of carpal tunnel. His claim is that he got back the power after a few months of playing without them and also got additional sensitivity.
My take is: go ahead and use them, but be sensitive to your hands. Fingerpicks allow you to drive your fingers beyond what is comfortable and healthy for them. If used properly and with respect for your body, more power to you!

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  5:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Another reason why I like Alaska Piks...they act as an extension of your fingernail so you really can't do anything with them that you couldn't do if you had long nails. (Except not have to worry about broken nails.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  5:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Mike, I still primarily use finger nails but love the more biting sound accomplished with picks. I would rather use plastic to eliminate that clicking as the metal meets the string, reserving these metal picks for five string banjo. It certainly is an adjustment becoming proficient at the thumbpick, because of the required shift in hand angle, but this offers benefits as well. Led's damping technique is certainly easer with a thumbpick I believe. Max volume is earier.

After toying around with picks for a while, I decided to Force myself to play with nothing but picks for a week. It was hard, let me tell you!!! Songs that I could rip through I was struggling with. But it's all worth the effort. A song like Ku'u Ipo Onaona really sounds ono with that hard edge found close to the bridge with picks. Their use opens up a new landscape of color and possibility. Love the Golden Gate thumbpick because it's meaty.

The only inconsistancy I experience with nails is slight. My second finger nail is slightly less dense than index and thumb, so no can dig in as hard with this nail. (As a kid I had this finger caught beneath the rear wheel of my soapbox derby car, skidding down my Dad's driveway. I'm lucky to have a finger left!!!!! The long term result of this is that I'm left as a mutant, with a thinner nail). I seem to recall an old gypsy man years ago who glared at me, touched my forehead with a gnarly finger and mumbled "thinnnnnner". Ho .. must have been a weak spell!!!
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  11:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike,
I have tried all sorts of picks, thick, thin, metal, plastic, holes, no holes, angled, alaska, etc,etc, and here's what I like and is comfortable to me.
The thumbpick I like is by Herco, plastic heavy guage(not nearly as heavy as some, but good tone, flexible and comfortable; the fingerpicks I like are by Dunlop, white plastic large which need to be opened up gradually by gentle pressure, or heated in hot water to fit. They have an excellent tone I have found for just about any type of string, metal or nylon. The bands are also wide and smoothe, unlike some metal bands that cut into your hand sometimes if they don't fit well.
Of course, only your fingers will tell what is good for you, and the tone is what sounds good to you. Just in case anyone wants to try something different.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  12:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e mike,

i've been pickful and pickless. i'm now like cyril pahinui - thumb but no finger picks. i use a zookie long 20 (max extension from the thumb, 20 degree twist) which is very comfortable. i went back to the thumbpick when both brah dusty and an instructor at aloha music camp independently observed the unique way i was using my thumb (inefficiently). it's pretty nice.

i used alaska picks, which i like, but i found that i can be more expressive with just fingernails. you have more contact, and can feel the strings and what you're doing (gosh, this is beginning to sound like one of those spam ads i get on my computer... )

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:39:47 AM  Show Profile
For me its either alaska picks on index & middle and a long fingernail on my ring finger (I rarely use the ring finger) or those metal pro picks that are hollowed out for the pad of the finger. I use a large Johnson thumpick (or similar).

Aloha Keith! Will we see you on 9/8?

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 08/28/2003 11:41:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e dusty! yes, i'm actually going to be in town!! i'm looking forward to hanging with the SoCal Slackers!

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  4:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this question of mine. Looks like I've got a little more experimenting to do. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  11:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Mike;
I use a plastic thumb pick (don't know the brand but it has a long thin pick extension as opposed to a tapered end) and two brass fingerpicks. The brass were recomended to me by the store owner as less harsh or metal sounding, closer to a fingernail, he was right. The brass has a warmer attack and is easier to control the feeling of the sound.
Good luck Brah,
Jon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000