Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 taropatch.net in latest Taylor Wood & Steel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2003 :  01:58:56 AM  Show Profile

Great, extensive Slack key article and reference to taropatch.net in the latest issue of Taylor Guitars Wood and Steel Quarterly publication-

"HANGING LOOSE WITH HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY"
It's like a secret society of fingerstylists, except that it's not "secret" - it's a Hawaiian form of guitar music that's taking the Mainland by (very soft tropical) storm. By Jim Kirlin."

Taylor guitars has been very proactive with sponsorship
of the slack key festivals in Hawaii - a really good thing

The article mentions that prominent guitarists as Joe Satriani, Stevie
Vai and Kevin Banks( tonight show) are falling in love
with slack key.

Stevie Vai mentions in his workshops across the country
"talking about slack key being one of the last frontiers
for guitar players"

Hardcopy can be picked up at any Taylor guitar dealer
or can also be viewed online at www.taylorguitars.com
via PDF file.

enjoy!

enrico

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  02:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
It was great to see slack key getting such good exposure and I was thrilled to see our site (http://www.alohaplentyhawaii.com) listed too.

I was disappointed that the author didn't fully represent the traditional style of slack key. It's not necessarily the most popular story so it was probably edited out. It's what I've learned and I know many don't agree... I share it here not as dispute, but as an additional perspective on slack key for those that care to consider it.

According to the Bishop Museum and most elders we have talked with, singing primarily came to the islands with the missionaries (1820's was the first trickle) and became particularly prevalent for hymns in the mid 1800's when missionaries were settled on most islands and were working with the monarchy teaching, etc.

With the need for self-accompaniment (the theorized reason for the rhythm bass part played with the thumb on the lower strings while the melody is played on the upper strings with the fingertips), it makes sense for the original slack key to be instrumental in nature. There are a couple of recorded examples of slack key instrumental that accompanied chant... another with ipu or other percussive instrument...

The Hawaiian form of singing that first developed was a bridge between chant and western style singing. The style of 'mele' didn't develop until the late 1800's... a kind of hu'i style fitting in with the King David Kalakaua way of combining tradition while adopting/adapting modern styles. And of course, moving into the 1900's and the 'entertainment' industry, singing and western stylings became more important/valued because it was more 'acceptable'. Radio has always favored vocals and popular rhythm stylings. As we all have learned... the real slack key was family music and kept tightly in the families.

There are so few people left really carrying on the 'old style' I worry about it being lost... even fewer perpetuating it with ability to compose in the old style.

I applaud everyone here on taropatch.net that work and play every day to carry on the tradition of slack key... long may you play... and I wish that slack key live on forever.

Aloha and a hui hou...
Sandy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000