Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Gabby Pahinui - Moonlight Lady
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sushihane
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2003 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where I could find some guitar tabs for Gabby Pahinui's Moonlight Lady?
My friend is a big fan of his music and he knows much more than me but he doesn't use the computer that much so I'm looking for him.
Does Pahinui use a slack key guitar for this song? Because I've just been looking for "Gabby Pahinui - Moonlight Lady guitar tabs" and I've come up with nothing :/

Anything would be greatly appreciated ^_^
Thank you!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  11:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Pretty song! As far as I know, there is not any published tab of Moonlight Lady. It was composed by Carlos Andrade. I was lucky to meet Carlos and hear him perform Moonlight Lady at the Kahumoku workshop last June. What an fascinating guy... accomplished composer and musician, canoe builder, Hokule`a crewmember, PhD, professor.

There is an archived 1985 recording available online of Carlos performing this song with his band and Taj Mahal. Go to http://www.prairiehome.org/performances/19851116 and Moonlight Lady is at 20.45.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  12:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Indeed a nice song.
Don't know of any published TABS.
Randy Lorenzo told me it's pretty easy to figure out in "Cyril's C" - then proceeded to show me, but unfortunately I didn't TAB it at that time, as I don't regularly play in C.
Maybe that can be enough of a hint to help you figure it out from the recording.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2003 :  11:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha,
Mai poina-- it's also recorded on Carlos' "Na Pali" album, and Bla covers it on (I tink) several albums. (I think Bla may play it in standard tuning, and Carlos is a fan of C Mauna Loa).

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2003 :  02:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
If the album notes are to be believed, "Moonlight Lady" is the only "Gabby Band Vol. 1" song that Gabby neither sings or plays on--it's Bla and Randy Lorenzo on vocals and guitars--in fact, it's the only cut that doesn't have three to five guitars. I can't say what tuning Randy used, but Bla is a long-time drop-D/left-handed-upside-down player, and that's where I'd start. Well, drop-D anyway.

[Brief pause for on-line research.] Here's a link to the liner notes for Bla's "Windward Heart" CD on the Dancing Cat site:

http://www.dancingcat.com/notes/08022-38052-2.html

The song annotation has info on Bla's arrangement on this recording.

I also see that Patrick Cockett co-wrote the song with Carlos Andrade--there's no composer credit on the GPHB album.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
I like the version on the Gabby Band CD - it has an excellent tiple solo by Ry Cooder.
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Don't do tab, but give this a try:

[C]Moon[F]light [C]lady, [C]eyes [F]dark as the [C]midnight [C7]sky,
[F]Not too [C]many [F]men [C]for[D]get [C]your [D]smile.
[C]Moon[F]light [C]lady, [C]arms [F]strong as the [C]valley [C7]walls,
[F]Not too [C]many [F]men [C]for[D]get [C]your [D]touch.

[Bm]You work in the [Em]fields by day,
[A7]In the sun while your [D]children play.
[Bm]Rivers sing [Em]their lullabies,
[A7]And rainbows fill their [D]youthful eyes.

[C]Moon[F]light [C]lady, [C]voice [F]like a [C]running [C7]stream,
[F]Not too [C]many [F]men [C]for[D]get [C]your [D]song.
[C]Moon[F]light [C]lady, [C]skin [F]warm as the [C]noonday [C7]sun,
[F]Not too [C]many [F]men [C]for[D]get [C]your [D]spell

I play this in C Mauna Loa

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  11:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Gee thanks, Dean. This has been one of my favorite songs ever since the 70's, and I just sang and played it on my ukulele. Yippee, I learned another song! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000