Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Auntie Alice Ku'uleialohapoina'ole Namakelua
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile

Aloha e Taropatch Ohana!
I recently was fortunate enough to score an out of print Auntie Alice LP on eBay. I've been wanting so much to hear her, but there are no available recordings anywhere. I don't even have an LP player anymore so (please don't condemn me) I had the LP digitally transferred to CD (just for my personal use. I promise to respect Auntie's copyright!)

I am so incredibly impressed with Auntie Alice!!! I can hear how so many have been influenced and inspired by her. She's da best!!! In da real old style!!!

I'm sure there must be others out there facing my same dilemma of wanting to hear Auntie Alice's music and finding a lack of available recordings. Auntie Alice's music & memory needs to be kept alive!!! I wish for others to be blessed by her Aloha! Is there a reason that her music is no longer available? We just don't hear much about her and she's so beautiful!

BTW ~ I had the digital transfer done @ http://www.sonictransfer.com They were super fast & even removed the vinyl hiss.

Edited by - Stacey on 12/16/2003 9:02:49 PM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Stacy,
That LP was the only recording of her that was ever done, as far as I know. In addition to her music, the "liner" notes (on the back of the album cover) are priceless.

There are still copies of the LP out there for those who want one. Ours was pristine, too.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  12:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Auntie's LP was on Hula, and I believe that catalog is currently controlled by Don McDiarmid, Jr.--who *is* doing reissues of older records. So it's not inconceivable that (Auntie's heirs and the business climate permitting) there could be a CD version of this album. After all, if Cord International and George Winston can find a way to reissue early Tradewinds material, with all the legal problems that must entail, then this would be a piece of cake.

BTW: Speaking of reissues, the Hana Ola/Cord Int'l Leonard Kwan compilation has been in the stores for a couple weeks--it's first-rate, with extensive liner notes in the Dancing Cat mode (because they've been produced by the same people). You can find the long version of the notes via this URL:

http://www.dancingcat.com/notes/KwanCord.html

BTW#2: There's no legal problem with making a copy of a recording that you own: it's covered by fair use and, if I recall correctly, some specific case law that permits making backups. I know that RIAA, Disney, & Co. would love to put an end to such commonsense notions as fair use, personal backups, and the first-sale rule, but so far they haven't, quite.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 12/17/2003 12:25:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  12:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Stacey, Auntie Alice did at least one other recording with Mary K. Pukui that is still available on cassette from the Bishop Museum: Hawaiian Songs for Children.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  01:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
Mahalo for all the info, guys!

Russell, I appreciate your reassurance of the legality of my having the LP digitally transferred for my personal use. I didn't think it much diferent than making myself a tape off an LP to listen to in the car.

Craig, mahalo for the link to get another Auntie Alice recording! I shall buy it soon.

Reid, I quite enjoyed the liner notes on Auntie Alice's LP too. What an amazing life story! I'm so inspired by her!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000