Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 FAVORITE TUNINGS? and Y?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  1:32:26 PM  Show Profile
HEy all I want to get a poll of all of you player's favorite tunings and favorite instruction books. I also want to know your favorite song and what tuning its played in. thanks.

FORMAT:

Name....
City....
tuning..
Book....
song....

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  01:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jeremy, great questions. The replies should be interesting.
OK, since you asked, I can't resist putting in my 2 cents worth:
Name: Doug
City: Mountain View, CA (not Big Island kine)
Favorite Tuning: Salomila style - like C Mauna Loa but with two bottom strings tuned 5th and 4th higher so it's GCEGAE. Also I love Leonard's C and C Mauna Loa. Why? You can play tons of stuff in G major but the type of sound you can get is limited. So I like to experiment a lot. I play, sort of, in 6 different tunings right now. Knew a couple others a few years back but I lost 'em. Not enough time to do it all!
Book: None. Listen, listen, listen, read the CD liners, then jus' press - but I got started with Keola's first video.
Song: Hilo Rag (C Mauna Loa) and Keala's Mele (Leonard's C).

doug
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  02:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Name: Craig
City: Carlsbad, CA
Tuning: Taro Patch (haven't played much in other tunings yet)
Book: Ozzie...still working my way through
Song: Pua Sadinia and La Paloma (both Taro Patch)...hope to be able to play both someday!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  12:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Raymond Stovich, San Jose, CA
I play almost exclusively in Taro Patch - Couple of reasons: 1) 'cause Ozzie once told me that Sonny told him that anyone could play a hundred songs in a hundred different tunings, but only a master could play any song in just one tuning. 2)While Taro Patch does have limits, I still haven't come near exhausting its possibilities. 3) I find that once I accept the limitations, it forces me to be more creative, learning much more about voicing and arranging.

Favorite song? I only have favorite flavors of the day when it comes to music. There's so much out there that I have trouble narrowing this down. If I'm honest about it, something like this: Most favorite "songs" over long periods of time: Hayden's Cello Concerto in C Maj; Brahm's 4th Symphony; Turandot. Overall slack key song I come back to the most: E Ku'u Morning Dew by Keola, in a C Tuning; Current favorite song: Chuva, by Maurizia (a fadista) written in Bb, I believe. Song I am most enjoying to play these last few days: Soft Green Seas by Anderson, my arangement in, what else?, Taro Patch.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot to include above that Taro Patch is also so very versatile - not only Hawaiian & slack key, but a lot of Latin, (including not only Mex but also Brazilian, Paraguayan, Venezuelan, Argentinian, and Cuban) African, fado, Standards and pop can be done quite convincingly in Taro Patch, despite the fact that you really only have 3 strings (at different octaves)
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  4:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I moved this thread to the "General" topic, because I did not see good reason for it to remain in the "Kanikapila" topic. Also see the below post which I think 67kawika67 meant to post under this thread. -Admin

quote:
On 02/01/2004 : 03:07:21, 67kawika67 posted:

hey thank you for the posts. I just got offwork and was surprised to see that there are posts. This topic should be usefull to find out the popular ones and why. Its also great to get song ideas for future learning. Thanks everyone ITS SUPER BOWL tomorrow!!!! PATRIOTS>....

Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  4:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
Name: Zach
City: College Station, TX
Tuning: Wish i knew :(
Book: The Internet
Song: Mele Kalikimaka!

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  5:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
oh i forgot i have a tuning question...

i can tune my strings relative to eachother, but i know they're still way off from what they should be. does anyone know of a site that has sound of what each string should sound like for a regular tuning?

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  5:25:33 PM  Show Profile
For about $45 you can get an Intellitouch tuner at a local Guitar Center -- clips onto the headstock, hasn't hurt my guitars in the 2 years or so I've used it -- tell you exactly what pitch your string is on.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  5:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
yeah i'm kinda looking for a free resource. i'm a dirt poor college student working in an aquarium trying to make rent :)

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile
HEY its SUPERBOWL and IM off to the bars. I got sum $ on the patriots so cheer them on. but not to turn this into a football chat. THanks for the continuing posts. Great info. DRINK UP EVERYONE!!!!!! cause the patriots are going to win!!!.
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  6:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
oh yeah superbowl! hello whiskey. goodbye homework.

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  6:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Chango --

I just did a Google search for "Online Guitar Tuner" and came up with 85,000 replies. And I'm an old guy --- shouldn't be too hard for a dirt poor college student to find something useful. Tons of freeware and shareware resources, too.

Here's the first one I looked at: http://www.dreadscott.com/Guitar.html

Don't know if it still works, but when I was a dirt poor college student in LA my band and I would tune to the dial tone -- which was pretty dang close to a Bb (5th string, first fret in standard.) Or pick up a tuning fork -- they are real cheap. Heck, you can find a digital tuner for under $10 these days. Or make friends with an accordian player... lord knows they need all the friends they can get.

Cheers,

Mark
http://www.mark-o.com
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
hahaha awesome!

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  7:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Chango...try this:

http://www.bigrockeng.com/apgt.html

Freeware tuner app for Windows. If you have a Mac let me know.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Chango
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  10:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chango's Homepage  Send Chango an AOL message  Send Chango a Yahoo! Message
awesomesauce. is regular tuning for an uke E or what?

one dirty haole
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000