Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 GUITAR AMPLIFICATION.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  6:30:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to the forum...aloha family!...Just a quick question on what settings you people prefer to play your slack key in. I'm using a classical,acoustic/electric Ibanez thru a small crate practice amp...sometimes set on chorus/reverb...sometimes on rev 1. sounds o.k. but i need to switch to med.gauge strings. just wonderin what some of you folks do amp wise....Mahalo...Ken...(frozen in Ohio,It was 18 degrees F. last night!).

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  8:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Ken,

I usually play in my living room so no amplification needed. On the very rare occasion where I played outside, I plugged directly into someone's PA. One of my guitars has an active highlander pickup installed.

I have not needed an amp yet; but when I read about them, I read very positive reviews on SWR California Blonde and Ultrasound.

Ps. You win on the cold temps. We're in a warm spell at 30-40 degrees. Had some really cold days in Januray though.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  12:12:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ken,
I also use medium gauge strings (elixir nano).
When playing thru my Cal Blonde I use the reverb, but have it set around 3.

On my Genz Benz Shen 100 I set all the EQ flat and without any effects, when I play with the our church choir. For practicing slack key, I don't use any amplification.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  01:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ken, if you're looking for a straight acoustic sound then look into getting an acoustic amp...any electric amp is going to color the guitar sound so that makes it impossible to get a good acoustic sound. Even an inexpensive acoustic amp is going to run you around $200 though, so if budget doesn't permit then try using your Crate with a boost on the highs and a little reverb. Chorus is going to give you a 12-string effect, which is going to sound kind of funky with a classical! The most important thing is to mess around with the controls until you get a sound YOU like. Who cares what others think?

Like Andy and Milt said, however, I hardly ever play with amplification.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  02:21:05 AM  Show Profile
When I play a big room I use the Cal Blonde.
For a small room I use a small Crate.

My system is a classical guitar with Baggs Dual Source Pickup
I use the Baggs standalone preamp -- which is really important with the crate to get a natural sound, less so with the Blonde.

Setting vary with each guitar, but generally I do add a touch of reverb.
Raymond
san Jose
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey there -

Here's my two cents: I went looking for an amp this fall to replace the PA I got tired of lugging around.

After much research, I surprised even myself and picked up a Carvin acoustic amp. Yep, I played the Cal Blonde, the Strawberry Blonde, the various Fenders, Martins, Crates, Rolands, etc. And checked out the Genz Benz, Shertler and various other high end designs, too. Like the amazing new Bose system. (more later). Then I ordered the Carvin.... go figure.

Here's what I like: 3 channels, so I can use one for the guitar p/u, one for my dulcimer and one for a mic. Two FX, so I don't have to worry about sounding weirer than normal when I sing. Nice to be able to selectively disable FX 1 & 2 via a footswitch.

It sounds pretty dang good, actually - I use a sans amp acoustic D/I for the guitar, which helps a great deal.) 12" speaker w/ piezo tweeter really gives a nice bottom end. No loud "thump" when you turn it on/off. And its relatively cheap. And I can play bass through it for small gigs - for that it sounds every bit as good as my late, lamented 12" Polytone.

Here's what I don't like: Not as much EQ control as I'd like - particularly on ch 2. High end isn't as sweet as more expensive units. FX are nothing to write home about, but adequate in small doses.

The bottom line: Intially I was ready to send it back - in my studio (OK, guest bedroom) I couldn't really dial up a happening sound. But then I used it at a big party, and was surprised how well it did. Took all of 30 seconds to set up. Doesn't hurt my back. Gets the job done - even my wife thought it sounded pretty dang good. And, like I said, it's cheap. Like me.

About the Bose: A friend bought one and gave it to me for evaluation. It's big, it's heavy, it takes a lot to set it up and it's kinda hard to use... but Holy Moley! If I had two grand to spend on amplification I'd buy one tomorrow. Flat out the best sounding amplified guitar sound I've ever heard outside of a concert system with a skilled engineer.

Happy playing!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  12:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mark,

Any particular model number on that Carvin amp?

BTW, I took the classes with you and Mark in November. We fiddled around with the first few notes of Hi'ilawe. Is that available in tab form somehwere?

Lovin' The Water is Wide Cd too.

Aloha

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  03:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hi`ilawe is in Mark's book that he wrote with Keola.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,
The Carvin amp is AG100D. A link to the page is
http://carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=AG100D&P1=AG

Yeah I agree, I just love that amp. It's priced very competitively, and you can use it for a PA too. I have one and use it for small venue, manuahi gig type stuff. One can also get an add-on speaker (in matching colors no less). BUT the very best thing about this amp is its weight (35#). For me, price is a definite factor. The CA Blonde thing is out of my range...

Oh - as to pickup, I'm an L. R. Baggs Dual Source.

Malama Pono,

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  3:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Kala mai, forgot to add the famous Lee Trevino quote:
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"
So - eh, neva mind, no matter...

Malama Pono,

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  5:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The Behringer Ultracoustic ACX1000 and the Fender Acoustasonic 30 (which I bought after hearing a friend's) are both good entry-level acoustic amps if you're looking mostly for a practice/small group amp.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi`ilawe is in Mark's book that he wrote with Keola.

Although that's true, the version in the book is quite a bit different from the one I taught in Portland last October. The arrangement we used in the book is in G 6th tuning (D-G-D-G-B-E) , and is based on the way Keola plays the song (Craig... what CD is this on?).

On page 72 we give the essential 2 bar Hi`ilawe vamp in C wahine (C-G-D-D-B-E -- notice anything familiar?) , So there's 2 tabs for ya for the price of one!

I usually play it out of Drop C (C-G-D-G-B-D) - it's a lot like the way Keoki Kahumoku plays it. And, I think, similar to Sonny Chilingworth's, too.

(Again, Craig? You're the man when it comes to the discography info...).

Oh, and if you buy any of these amps you can play it real loud.... how's that for getting back on topic?

PS. I'll be back in Portland in April. Also in Seattle. See ya then.

Take care,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hi`ilawe is on Keola's Mauna Kea - White Mountain Journal CD, Keoki's Hawaiian from the Heart CD, and Sonny's Sonny and Sonny Solo CDs. How's that?!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  03:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow!...all...I'm a happy camper...just picked up a CRATE CA30D Acoustic amp! I can't believe the clean natural acoustic tone this amp gives your guitars!..I first thought it would punk out because of it's size..but I'm a believer now..I love the variety of reverbs, delays, chorus,and multiple effects...and all for under $300!..Great for my budget,and all my acoustic guitars sound so excellent through this little guy...and best of all...Ki ho alu!....Ken.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  3:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
The AER Alpha is an amazing little amp. It weighs 14 lbs., but has a ton of volume. The separation between the strings is awesome. You can hear lots of definition for the mid and bass strings. Price is a little steep. I paid 630. If you haven't heard them, these things are amazing.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Like the rest of our group, I played 'em all (Trace Elliot, Roland, Fender, Ultrasound, Crate on-and-on, until I hit the SWR California Blonde (fo' da Big Gig) and Strawberry Blonde (fo' da Little Gig). To my old ears they sound..... like me, a strong, simple, easy going, amp with clean tone. At home I play unplugged but often enjoy the difference an amp (Strawberry Blonde) makes. My settings are at 12 o'clock, (reverb - off or low) and use the on board electronics of my Taylor K22ce to may adjustments to tone and volume.

Happy Sunsets

Edited by - tahitijack on 03/09/2004 10:51:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000