Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Reverse Taro Patch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  3:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
I am still looking for techniques rarely used, and I don't mean picking the guitar with my teeth. One I have been experimenting with is with playing a left-handed guitar right handed. I'm using a classical for this and I have found a lot of strangeness with this tuning. Has anyone else tried this, and if so, with what tunings?

Crazy Man Tuning

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Im kinda confused, its still the same tuning, do you mean your using your thumb to play bass lines on the treble strings? There are a number of folk artists that play with the strings reversed, but they usually play bass notes with their index/middle fingers (Bla Pahinui plays with reversed strings).If your playing standard chords with the strings reversed, id find some strangness in that too haha.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

bonniej
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have a feeling I'm the old lady of the group. But, isn't playing well work enough. Why try something so unusal? A multitude of tunings is certainly enough for me.
But, good luck.
Bonniej
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Actually, the goal is for me to be a beginner all the time. I like this approach as a change, since the melody is emphasized by the thumb striking the notes. I am not offering an easier approach here, but an exercise to break out of habit patterns. I tend to wander into remembered chord shapes when I know a tuning too well, even when the melody wants to go somewhere else. This same approach managed to break me out of the doldrums in standard tuning. After working with taro patch for even a month, standard seemed alien to me, and I spent a good while finding voicings I had never used before.
Also, I see reversed strings to be a change in attitude as well. With the highest strings close to me, it feels like pulling the melody up towards me rather than pushing it away. But then, I do not claim to be rational on this issue.

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  2:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Kinky, but interesting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: