Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 strange hula...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Back to the hula protest...
The women repeated their hula out in front of the big resort hotel here in town. I shot a few pictures for my newpspaper, at least until the manager threatened to have them arrested for trespassing.
I had hoped they would defy the law and I could have photographed the first hula arrest in Idaho. Book 'em Danno.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile
They probably should have, for bad impersonating...and references.(Book 'em Danno...Goodness.) Yipes.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/26/2004 8:36:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Very bad reference. But my mom wasn't the only Hawaiian expatriate who watched (and made us kids watch) 5-0 back in the late 60s and 70s to catch a glimpse of Oahu between overused stock footage of Waikiki and Jack Lord's hair.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:41:46 AM  Show Profile
huiohana sez:
quote:
I appreciate when non-Hawaiians are interested in my culture and even know more than some Hawaiians know of the culture themselves. But, to me, a person can play kiho'alu till it's coming out of their ears and 'olelo Hawaii fluently but it will not make them Hawaiian. Maybe that is where they could be considered to have the "aloha spirit". I know some people will burn to hear this, but it is true.

OK ~ this is bound to piss somebody off. Sorry in advance from a 5th generation Native Californian...

The first time I went to Hawaii (Maui) I was just a tourist on vacation, but I was sooo taken by the culture, the music and the Aloha that I had to dig deeper. When I play Hawaiian music it feels so wonderful to me, almost like a past life regression (if ya believe in that sorta thing). I can't explain why I'm so into it, but I feel the need to do it and I'm very sorry if it upsets people of Hawaiian Ancestry.

When I went to Lahainaluna High School on Maui last week to return George Kahumoku Jr.'s loaner guitar I walked through a crowd of Hawaiian teenagers waiting for class. I just smiled and said hello as I passed and they started jeering me, chanting, "Go Home, Haole Bitch!!!" I felt terrible, but I kept smiling. Though, I cried real good when I got back to the car as I have never treated anyone so mean as that. We get alotta tourists and immigrants here in Cali and I wouldn't dream of making someone feel unwelcome in this big ol' melting pot.

hapakid sez:
quote:
But let's not write off all of the shirttail Hawaiians, because they help to keep Hawaiian culture alive, too, in their own way. Plenty of us here at Taropatch.net!

I agree that ancestry is what really makes a person Hawaiian. I don't fake pidgin and I'll never claim or presume to be Hawaiian, I have just study Hawaiian culture, music, language and the history of Hawaii being made to join the USA (which is appalling to me). BUT I DIDN'T DO IT!!! And I can't help what my forefathers did, though I am still sorry for it (actually my forefathers immigrated here from Poland and Ireland to escape nastiness in their own countries). I can't help that I'm Caucasion or American. I can't help what white men did to the Native Americans or the African slaves or Hawaii. But, right here, right now, I can be the best person I can be, and be kind, helpful and loving to all others (even if I don't get the same treatment in return) and I can teach my children well. In my heart and soul, I can love Hawaii, her people, culture and music and show her great respect. I can even help spread the Aloha Spirit, even if I'm merely considered a haole b*tch.

huiohana sez:
quote:
Well, I would'nt say "native" Hawaiians...but. As I once heard Professor Kay-Trask say once...people sometimes use Hawaiian culture the wrong way. I hope it was'nt just a gimmick... &...
They probably should have(been arrested), for bad impersonating...

As for the hula protest in Idaho, it sounds to me like the hula dancers were sincere in their intentions, whether they were Hawaiian or Caucasion or whatever.

Sorry to go on a tangent folks. Much respect and aloha to everyone, no matter where you're comin' from.
Peace & love.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Not to be too trite, but...in the immortal words of Jack Paar, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

janis
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Very understandable that is does "piss" some people off, but hold back your anger and think about it...it does not make you Hawaiian. It is, as I have stated, nice for others to carry on Hawaiian as you chose to interpret it, but do not do it to impress anyone.
It is unfortunate for you, Stacey, that you experienced that "Haole bitch" episode but here is like any other place in the U.S. and that kind of things happen here,also, although I really don't condone such action. People have a thought in their head of this certain Hawaii and when they come here they are in for a shock when they run into a part of Hawaii that they see back home. Living in Washington, and my experience in the army, exposed me to all kinds of verbal attacks even being called a "nigger". Heck, some haoles even got in their heads about all Hawaiians are fat and I've been called on numerous occations a "fat ass pineapple" although I carry 7% body fat at 210#...Go figure. But I do not hold this against all haoles, no matter what happened back in the 1890's. And don't get me wrong, I have a whole lot of opinion on that one, too.
It is good for you that you try and be different than your forefathers and do things different now to others, which is what I do and everyone should do too. But Hawaiians should not hide how they feel about anything and if someone asks my opinion, and they did, do not be afraid to voice and not worry if the person gets red assed about it. A hui hou, Keali'i

Edited by - huiohana on 04/27/2004 01:13:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:09:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Janis! Much more eloquently stated than my long winded ramble. Hee Hee!
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:14:16 AM  Show Profile
hee hee
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Keali'i!
Hee Hee. I know I'll never be Hawaiian, as I said... you can't change who ya are and why would ya want to? ...and I'm not angry, I'm just not hiding my feelings or opinions either. I got da big mouth syndrome...

So sorry you had to endure all those unkind words in the service, etc. That's so unfair!

I guess we all need to catch some flack to keep us humble.

Peace & Love!

Edited by - Stacey on 04/27/2004 01:30:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:34:18 AM  Show Profile
No need to apologize,Stace. Believe it or not, I have come across a lot of people who speak before they think also...hee hee. You're forgiven. Keali'i.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:37:19 AM  Show Profile
HA!!! Believe me, I thought a lot before I spoke.
Me thinks you kinda enjoy riling people up.
I forgive you too.
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  01:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Excuse me, if you did think...there would have been no reason to apologize for trying to be someone other than yourself. It is kind of you to think I needed forgiving but I thought out what I wrote before pressing "enter" and thanks, but no thanks, for forgiveness.
I do not think anyone should get riled up if they just stay true to yourself. Trust me I know...in the Army I wanted so bad to be like my African American friends who talked so cool and played the cool beats(not to leave out the woman, too) But, my mom gave me the same advice I share with you and whoever gets misplaced...be yourself. A hui hou, Keali'i.

Edited by - huiohana on 04/27/2004 01:52:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  02:35:05 AM  Show Profile
I think sometimes one loses some meaning in what is said 'vs' what is understood in a chat environment and we are on totally different levels here. No need to clarify.
No unkind words or feelings meant. Peace Keali'i.
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  02:36:32 AM  Show Profile
But anyway...before I got rudely interupted...

hapakid...I know how you feel about the "5-0" sit-thru's with your folks. My siblings and I had to endure the same thing. It is funny though, now, I love to watch them old reruns. It is amazing how much Honolulu has changed. A hui hou, Keali'i.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  1:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yeah, the 1960s/early 70s Hawaii is the Hawaii that sticks in my memory from many visits, but also because of 5-0 reruns. I love those long-sleeve aloha shirts with the groovy flower power designs!
Fortunately my mom was over that when "Magnum PI" came on. She just watched that to see Tom Selleck.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000