Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 North Shore - new Fox TV Show
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

Last night I watched the series premiere of Fox's new North Shore series, hoping for a little taste of home. Hoping, mind you, not expecting. It seems that the TV industry has three main approaches to Hawaiian shows:

• Mention Hawai`i: Everything is filmed on a lot in Southern California. After all, a palm tree is a palm tree, right?. Maybe they find some stock footage of Fred Hemmings riding Makaha in the 1969 swell to use now and then. Fortunately these shows are rare and very short lived. The abysmal "Big Wave Dave's" is an example.

• Move to Hawai`i: The powers behind the show realize that Hawai`i is more than its scenery and through their stories and casting they attempt to bring Hawai`i to the little screen. Examples are Hawai`i 5-0, Magnum PI, and the little remembered Byrds of Paradise.

• Finally we have the worst of the three...
  • Rip-off Hawai`i:The show is written and cast in Southern California, down to the extras and then everyone gets a Hawaiian vacation to film it.

North Shore is a example of the third. Not a single local person in the cast. One, count 'em, one, word of Pidgen (The haole bartender calls somebody 'Cuz'). The music in the backgroud was Reggae and Calypso for crying out loud! What an absolute waste of scenery.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Well...

What do you expect from Fox?? The management would not care if
Hawaii was blown off the map as long as they could make a profit.

I.M.H.O.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  12:50:35 AM  Show Profile
I caught half of one of the episodes in the first series.
S--ked big time
Go to Top of Page

polynesian_metal
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  06:27:45 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely unbearable, it did however seem convincingly filmed on the north shore, at the Turtle bay hilton and downtown honolulu. I had to turn it off when the 15 year old haole girl said to the 18 year old haole surfer boy, "So do you want to do it or what?" and then took off her bikini top. Icky icky icky. More better is the original 80's North Shore surfer flick (lots of ukuleles and backyard jams). Did make me want to go back to hawaii though (and not for the jailbait who get it from their dysfunctional booze and sex addicted single mothers),
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey, why put down dysfunctional booze and sex addicted mothers? They give emotionally distant and equally addicted guys something to do!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000