Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mark Nelson week
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  4:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, It's been quite a week. It started with the So Cal Ducimer Heritage festival last Saturday (Sheila plays the dulcimer). Mark Nelson gave a workshop on playing Hawaiian music on the dulcimer --cool! He also gave a workshop on slack key guitar to quite a varied crowd and he played a great set on stage. We hadn't seen Mark for a couple of years. It was wonderful seeing him and catching up.

On Friday Sheila and I had private lessons with Mark - others did also. That night, Mark gave a house concert at Terry (chunky monkey) and Mary's house - another outstanding performance.

On Saturday Mark gave workshops on slack key guitar and ukulele. Then to top it off we all went to a luau with hula, ukulele jams and slack key. Mark played yet another great set.

Now he should be on his way back to Oregon in his cool Mini.

Mahalo Mark, for the music, the company and all of the helpful suggestions.

Dusty

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention a highlight of the ducimer festival: Uncle Henry Kamae (nephew of Eddie Kamae) was there a to give a ukulele workshop. We got to hang with him a while. He came to Mark's workshops and we all got to jam on E Ku`u Morning Dew. How's that for cool!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha TPers,

Following up on Dusty's comments, I finally got to listen to all the tunes on Mark's latest CD effort. A wonderful combination of styles. For an old blues player, one favorite is "Opihi Blues" - a great rendition of Leonard Kwan's Opihi Moe Moe with slide blues. Check it out. Best song on the CD is "Road to Dukes". Got to learn this one. Thanks Mark.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
mark's version of "sanoe" on this album is my favorite version of the song...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  7:06:27 PM  Show Profile
It was nice getting to meet all of you on Saturday. I stayed for both workshops on Kihoalu and ukulele. Except for poor old Dee, we moved right along. Hope Mark comes out with his book # 2. I liked his explanation of the scales within a cord structure/form and the typical hawaiian song format -- din't know I was playing yellow Ginger lei until Keith started singing.
Aloha,
CAPT Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  7:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
ah shucks... (shuffle, shuffle)

Yep, it was quite a week. I enjoyed meeting every one and seeing some old friends. Boy howdy, do you guys have some kind of scene down there!

Mahalo to everyone...

and now for the great TaroPatch.net question of the week: How many guitars can you get in a Mini?

a hui hou!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I like "Sanoe" and "`Opihi Blues" but I think "Mood Indigo Slack" is my favorite.

BTW, I mentioned this before, but if you have iTunes you can purchase any of these songs or Mark's entire CD from the Apple Music store.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  01:17:23 AM  Show Profile
The Road to Duke's .... Yeah!!!

:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly