Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Tub bass
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  12:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage

It's a little funny looking, but it's fun for kanikapila. I built this bass over a couple of days in my spare time. It's a galvanized washtub with a plywood soundboard and nylon weedwhacker strings. The E is kind of quiet, but A/D/G sound good. Basic bass players like me can quickly find a I/V bass line and accomplished bass players can play walking jazz bass and it sounds a lot like an upright. Scale is the same as an upright.
I spent about $70 total. It's clumsy to carry around, but fun to jam with.
Jesse Tinsley

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  12:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool. That washtub bass looks advanced! Don't most just come with one string? Looks like a whole lot of fun!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  01:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
yow! i love it! all i've played is the classic: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/gutbucket.gif

you should call it the ukununui, and see if jim beloff will market it :)

keith
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  02:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I played my first gutbucket at the Kahumoku workshop this year. But I wanted something cheap (I'm cash poor but 'ohana rich) that would give a reliable upright bass sound that is common in Hawaiian recordings like those of the Bros. Caz, Maunalua or Dennis Pavao. Here's the material list:
One tub, preferably a #3
scrap ply for soundboard
3 ft. 2x6" for structural post
3/8" dowel for internal soundpost
6' oak (or any hardwood) 1x4" for neck and fretboard
tuners
Various sizes of weedwhacker monofilament.

A scrounger could probably build it for under $40. Other types of containers could serve as the soundbox, too, such as metal tool boxes, a large bass or Indian style drum or a lightweight wood box with a soundboard.
I'm mounting a couple Radio Shack piezo transducers on it, so when I run it through a cheap bass multi-effects pedal, it sounds great. And the pedal has a bass tuner, which helps because the new strings are still wandering.
Keith, you'd have to change into your shorts to play a bass like this!
Actually, I've been waiting for the lottery to come through so I could fill my basement with high quality custom and production instruments, but the secretary who buys for our office pool keeps bringing back defective tickets.
So the next best thing...
Me ke aloha mai,
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile
"Pa'kini" bass is what they call it back here. You'll find one in almost every backyard jam, except waihee. there was one guy that wanted to bring his pa'kini bass to join us in waihee, but never had the chance, he passed away. Keith is that you?

Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  3:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by ohanabrown

there was one guy that wanted to bring his pa'kini bass to join us in waihee, but never had the chance, he passed away. Keith is that you?
No, I'm pretty sure Keith is still with us!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about that Keith, should've separated that last line, before asking you a question. The person that use to play the pa'kini bass was francis tau'a, brother to well known composer of hawaii, keli'i tau'a.

Keith i meant, is that you playing the pa'kini bass in the photo? If it is, i like the 'Tux"....... see you in november.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  5:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Re Keith and the tux - how about the vintage Corvette in the background - I guessing 57 ?
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi kevin and terry,

that's a great word to know - pa`kini!

yup, that's me in the tux. i was duded up to go to hot august nights in reno, which is a vintage car rally. it's a family tradition to go to admire the cars and to dance (eg, see http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/users/marzullo/Cropped05.jpg for me the year before - susie took the picture). we'd also get together to play 50s R&R on guitars, ukulele and bass, and whatever other instruments sue's dad would drag out (harmonicas, banjos, tin whistles, concertinas, ...).

it's a 1959 corvette - it's hard to tell the 57-59s apart from the back. it's a real joy to take out driving. of course, i've seen kevin driving a muscle car and there's another waihe`e regular who has a great historical car (wish i could remember the model, it's a beauty).

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Jesse! Cool bass! Now try playing it in slack key tuning! I have been playing my 3 string slack key professionally for about 3 years. George Kahumoku had me play it with the group at the Maui Slack Key Festival in June. Don Kauli'a had me back him up at the Hawaii Slack Key Guitar Festival in Waikoloa in September. I tune my bass to G-B-D (try D-G-B-D) and have found it to be a lot of fun. I can usually teach a beginner to play slack key bass in just a few minutes. A professional bass player takes longer, cuz they have to get used to playing bar chords. I have some rudimentary instructions on http://www.konawalkingstick.com

I may have to try sticking a bucket on one of mine... It would be great to be able to play it at the beach...

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  10:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Konabob,
I've wanted a walkingstick bass since I first saw it on the website, but have had to figure out how to build something on my meager budget, that is, under $50. This one cost me $70, but I'll probably sell it and try to get the next one under $50.
I'm an old guitarist, so I'll probably stick to standard tuning, but next time go with a #3 tub and a thinner soundboard to get the low E to really rumble.
The nylon string make great slides and are so easy to play.
I really enjoyed "Little Grass Shack" on the TP.net CD, and hope we can play together sometime.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  06:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow that thing is sooo cooool lookin!...but a retard like me would have to put some kind of frets on that thing! Wish I could hear it ...thanks for sharing...I mean showing!...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  12:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey Ken,
You should buy a tub and some wood and go for it! It's fun to play, even to just jam along with CDs. Frets would help on intonation, especially if you're in a loud environment and can't hear what your fingers are doing. The originator solved that problem when he screwed a short piece of broom handle off the side of the headstock, which he holds to his ear while playing. I recently added two cheap transducer pickups so I can amplify it.
I wish I had the upload space to put up an MP3 of the bass, but my web space is full of pictures already. I would say the bass sounds like an upright with a slight metallic sharpness to it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000