Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Words for Charmarita
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  07:00:20 AM  Show Profile
I have been trying to locate the words to the Portuguese folk song "Charmarita" which Sonny Chillingsworth recorded on his "Sonny Solo" CD (Dancing Cat)as "Charmarita/Malasadas". I've searched the web with no success, so am hoping that someone on Taro Patch may have some leads.

By the way, I attended Patrick Landeza's Hawaiian Music Institute in Seattle this past weekend. It was excellent. I took Dennis Kamakahi's slack key class and came away with a lot of great info. What an opportunity. They will be in Portland in August and hope to include Cyril Pahinui. Don't want to miss that one. If you have the opportunity to attend, I would highly recommend it.

Well, mahalo in advance for any info. anyone can provide regarding Charmarita.

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  07:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the TP.
With All Thumbs, your going to do great on the base strings. yuk-yuk
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
All Thumbs, are the guy with the beautiful Tacoma guitar? You're well on your way to playing "Charmarita"! That's one hard song. Good luck!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  10:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, slkho, the problem is that it's my left hand that's all thumbs!

All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  2:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey All Thumbs!

If you are the guy with the Tacoma, then you are definitely NOT all thumbs (I heard you!). Welcome to the Taropatch Ohana. Glad you're in the Pacific NW!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I may be in Portland in August. Is there specific information about the workshop that you talked about, where Cyril may be attending? How do I sign up? Where's it at? Etc.? Thanks. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  06:37:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

I may be in Portland in August. Is there specific information about the workshop that you talked about, where Cyril may be attending? How do I sign up? Where's it at? Etc.? Thanks. LRR

Leonard, you can probably get this information from the Hawaiian Music Institute which is operated by Patrick Landeza. The e-mail address is hawaiianmucsicinstitute @ yahoo.com. I do not have the specifics as to the when and where in Portland, but I would think that this information will probably be published on Taro Patch when a venue is finally decided upon.

I am definitely planning on attending, so hopefully, I will see you there.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  07:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Both Dennis and Patrick spoke of having the 'Hawaiian Music Institute - Series 2' in August. Dennis said that he was going to work hard on Cyril to get him to be one of the kumu.

Patrick mentioned that he may have it in Portland, rather than in Seattle. However, knowing their schedules, I doubt that anything has been done, other than brainstorming.

If enough people ask Patrick to hold it in Portland, he probably will. Otherwise, he may just do Seattle again.

Portland is a bit of a drive for me, but it'd give me an excuse to spend a weekend in the Rose city, so I'm all for it.

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
All Thumbs: I tried sending an email to the address (after correcting "mucsic" to "music") but I get a message that no such email address exists. Is it hawaiianmusicinstitute @ yahoo.com? Thanks for your prompt response. LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile
Leonard, look up the profile for hwnslacker. That's Patrick. Then email him through TaroPatch. I don't think it's a good idea to post emails on the forum itself. If that doesn't work, email me and I'll forward your message.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by All Thumbs

So I was confident that my web searching skills would help me get an answer but I was unsuccessful. So remembering that Makana recorded this song as Fado, I ask him. All Thumbs, you asked and here's an answer... well, almost full answer.
quote:
Makana wrote:

First of all, Sonny's last name is Chillingworth (no "s"). He did a classic version both with Gabby's band and solo later in his life... when I was younger, I wanted to learn the words as well. I paid a visit to the Portuguese Heritage Council in Kalihi on O'ahu years ago, in hopes of learning the proper pronunciation and meaning. After playing them the song, this older Portuguese gentleman looked at me puzzled, saying, "Well Makana, I hate to tell you this, but it's all gobbledygook!" I then relayed to them the story of how Sonny first learned the song...

When Sonny was younger, just a boy, he used to hang out with his uncle who played poker with a bunch of guys. One of the guys would sometimes sing a song in Portuguese, and Sonny became hungry to learn the song so he could sing it as well, for it had such a romantic heir to it. He asked the man to teach it to him- only to be told "Get lost boy!" So Sonny went away and came back with a bottle of whiskey, convincing the man to teach him the lyrics phonetically (no one actually had them written down) in exchange for swigs from the bottle.

The song became an island classic. Other musicians would attempt to imitate Sonny's timeless recording, also not aware of the song's meaning.

The Portuguese man at the Council then suggested to me that we attempt to transcribe the "words" from Sonny's recording, then piece the lyric back together with authentic Portuguese language. After a few hours of work, we (they!) succeeded in re-constructing the lyric to authentic Portuguese, with consistent meaningful verses tied together with a classic chorus that summed up those verses. They feel that this song originated in the Azores islands and perhaps came to Hawai'i by way of ship centuries ago.

I recorded Fado (literally meaning "Fate") on my album "Koi Au", with full lyrics and translation in the liner notes. There is no online copy. As this work is the work of two very generous and caring Portuguese folks, I would be obliged to first consult them before publishing their work online. However, if anyone is truly curious, Koi Au will serve to quench their search.

Aloha,
Makana

Cool, huh? Thanks Makana.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  6:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Cool. yes --
I played Sonny's version for 2 different POrtuguese friends here in San Jose -- one of them a university level linguist who specializes in "colonial" portuguese dialects -- the other a man who has a huge collection of Portuguses folk music. -- Both of them told me that whatever Sonny was singing was certainly "gobbledegook, " and neither of them could come up with anything close to it from their knowledge of language/music. Those guys on the Pot. Council sure did some hard work with Makana to come up with that. I think I'll show them Makana's lyrics along with Sonny's version and see what their reaction is, just for fun.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  6:13:52 PM  Show Profile
You guys that live on the West coast are so lucky! You get the masters who fly over the PO and do concerts and conferences. I live near Music City (Nashville), no complaints, but slack key is not a common term here.

I 'spose there are some out there who would like to be near Nashville too!

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/13/2005 6:15:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  06:19:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

Hey All Thumbs!

If you are the guy with the Tacoma, then you are definitely NOT all thumbs (I heard you!). Welcome to the Taropatch Ohana. Glad you're in the Pacific NW!

Maggie

Maggie, if you're referring to the guy who played during the open-mike session preceeding the Patrick Landeza performance, that was not me. It was my guitar, but Cory supplied the talent and the fingers. My only contribution was the guitar. Alas, I'm just your garden-variety slacker hacker.

All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  06:31:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

quote:
Originally posted by All Thumbs

So I was confident that my web searching skills would help me get an answer but I was unsuccessful. So remembering that Makana recorded this song as Fado, I ask him. All Thumbs, you asked and here's an answer... well, almost full answer.
quote:
Makana wrote:

First of all, Sonny's last name is Chillingworth (no "s"). He did a classic version both with Gabby's band and solo later in his life... when I was younger, I wanted to learn the words as well. I paid a visit to the Portuguese Heritage Council in Kalihi on O'ahu years ago, in hopes of learning the proper pronunciation and meaning. After playing them the song, this older Portuguese gentleman looked at me puzzled, saying, "Well Makana, I hate to tell you this, but it's all gobbledygook!" I then relayed to them the story of how Sonny first learned the song...

When Sonny was younger, just a boy, he used to hang out with his uncle who played poker with a bunch of guys. One of the guys would sometimes sing a song in Portuguese, and Sonny became hungry to learn the song so he could sing it as well, for it had such a romantic heir to it. He asked the man to teach it to him- only to be told "Get lost boy!" So Sonny went away and came back with a bottle of whiskey, convincing the man to teach him the lyrics phonetically (no one actually had them written down) in exchange for swigs from the bottle.

The song became an island classic. Other musicians would attempt to imitate Sonny's timeless recording, also not aware of the song's meaning.

The Portuguese man at the Council then suggested to me that we attempt to transcribe the "words" from Sonny's recording, then piece the lyric back together with authentic Portuguese language. After a few hours of work, we (they!) succeeded in re-constructing the lyric to authentic Portuguese, with consistent meaningful verses tied together with a classic chorus that summed up those verses. They feel that this song originated in the Azores islands and perhaps came to Hawai'i by way of ship centuries ago.

I recorded Fado (literally meaning "Fate") on my album "Koi Au", with full lyrics and translation in the liner notes. There is no online copy. As this work is the work of two very generous and caring Portuguese folks, I would be obliged to first consult them before publishing their work online. However, if anyone is truly curious, Koi Au will serve to quench their search.

Aloha,
Makana

Cool, huh? Thanks Makana.

Pupule and Makana, mahalo nui for the information. I will get the Koi Au CD to get the lyrics. I am familiar with Fado, but it never occurred to me to look in that direction. I'm always impressed with the knowledge base here at Taro Patch.

All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha All Thumbs:

I still remember you from Uncle Dennis' class at the Seattle Institute). You play very well, and not "All Thumbs!" Keep on practicing, bruddah! You'll have that Tacoma singing even more by the time the next Institute rolls around in August. Remember, we've got to get ready for Uncle Cyril's C Tuning!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000