Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Reverb puzzle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I have mostly gotten the hang of recording and editing and multitracking, but yesterday I got a surprise. I was experimenting with the Full Reverb presets in Audition 1.5 - there are about 15-20 of them. I was using a guitar and vocal test recording of Sarah. For lots of reasons, Sarah's voice and the guitar's tone aren't all that different in the frequency spectrum, except for attack/rise time. Most of the results were predictable (and predictably unpleasant or inappropriate), but a few gave results that I can't figure out.

For instance, "modest plate reverb" (or whatever it is called) and a few like it (like "dry room"), made the vocal "jump to the front" and dropped the guitar "presence" and, I think, amplitude. Given that reverb is basically delay (or a series of delays and echoes) how did that happen? I would have thought that only EQ and amplification modification could do that. Also, some of that effect wasn't too bad sounding, and I could imagine that, with some tweaking, it could be "a good thing", although, I am basically against that.

So, any ideas?

...Reid

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Reid,
It's happened to me, too, while using Garageband. It seems the pre-designed reverbs and delays will drastically alter the sound of the mix when applied to one channel only. Dunno why, but it probably has something to do with using digital effects, which affect various parameters of the entire track, rather than just adding layers of echo and delay.
If someone knows the answer, I probably won't understand it, but now I tend to add some kind of digital effects to every track, or only to the master track.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  11:24:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jesse,

Glad it is not only me. But, I applied the effects to the semifinal mixdown (all tracks, mixed to 2 channels), because I wanted to find out how the whole thing would sound in various synthetic environments. There are many "options" that are set, or can be tweaked, that I really don't grok, and I suppose that one or more of the ones I don't dig, created what I described. Why they should, however, is the mystery.

Calling all Tweaks...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  05:45:45 AM  Show Profile
It's not just about "a series of delays and echoes". It's also about absorbtion, bass trapping, frequency dampening, etc.
Try these articles;
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Reverb/
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/effects3/effects3.asp
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/effects_reverb.html

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  09:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

One thing to remember about MOST of the presets in Audition... they are mostly extreme examples of what CAN be done (but not what SHOULD be done). You must read about and understand EVERY adjustment available and then spend a lot of time tweaking to find your preferred settings. The best overall reverb in Audition is the one called "Full Reverb" as it is the most accurate and adustable one. Many things (like vocals) should be "verbed" spearately in the mix, and it is usually best to keep the dry track and make seperate "wet" tracks that you can mix-in at varying amounts over the take. At least, this would be an approach if you were recording everything on a seperate track.

Delay and Reverb add together signals with varying phase relationships so, naturally, you are going to get boost and cancellation effects (just like a real reverb space does). Also the ear localizes some sounds based on early-arrival so you can move the apparent location of a sound by using delay as well as amplitude. I am sure this is all mentioned in the references that Dave has posted above. Just rememeber... Reverb is an endless subject .

You may also want to try using impulse files if there is a place that you like the sound of (just to get even deeper into the "well" of info).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  11:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Also, some of that effect wasn't too bad sounding, and I could imagine that, with some tweaking, it could be "a good thing", although, I am basically against that.

Reid, not to jump on you personally, but you opened an interesting little can 'o slithery things.

I will never understand the "don't add anything to my precious recording because I want it to sound completely natural" way of thinking. There is absolutely nothing "natural" about sticking a microphone a few inches in front of a guitar, voice, or swinette; running it through a bunch of electronics to boost the signal, then slicing it up into little discreet parts and storing it on you hard drive. And then reversing the process....

Effects, EQ, Dynamics, and all the other processing tricks are tools to make the recording sound good. If you want a "natural" sounding recording, you have to tweak it to get past the limitations of the technology. Mic's don't hear like ears do. ADCs & DACs don't let all the frequencies through. Speakers don't work as well as a guitar moving air in a room. It ain't natural, I tell ya!

A good recording is one that sounds good. Period. Engineers use the tools at hand to fool your ear into thinking something coming out of two speakers is a three dimensional, breathing entity. That's art and maybe just a little magic, not nature.

We now return to your regular programming.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
For instance, "modest plate reverb" (or whatever it is called) and a few like it (like "dry room"), made the vocal "jump to the front" and dropped the guitar "presence" and, I think, amplitude.

Plate reverbs have been a studio staple for vocals since the early days. The accepted trick is to do a short, warm plate on the lead voice to add roundness and bring it to the front of the mix, plus some kind of longer "hall" or "chamber" effect mixed back (and maybe panned to one side) to give it spaciousness. Done right, you don't hear the effects. You just think you're listening to a great vocal.

Plates also are pretty standard for guitars -- often what's called a "bright" plate. If your using a single plate for both, my guess is the preset you chose was "warm" which simply means it's got some damping of the hi freqs. That would tend to make the guitar sound a tad distant compared to the voice, as the zing of the strings would be affected more than the body of the vocal.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Cheers,

m
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  2:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guyz,

You pointed me in the right direction for learning more.

I will amost certainly raise more slithery things in the future, until you get tired of edjamacating me.

Mahalo,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  2:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the plain English answers everyone. You've been very helpful.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000