Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Song Titles: Their Meaning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

donelle
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  2:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone, that's the info that I definitely need!! Since I'm not fluent in the language, it's good to have help explaining the songs.

I think I might go with the E Ku'u Morning Dew, it seems to be the popular item and my original favorite!!! I really appreciate it!!!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  8:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Not sure if you can get a copy of Patrick Landeza's Pu'unaue in time. And unfortuntely there is not a sound clip for the song Pilipuka. I do not truly know the meaning but it's pretty, has a good feel and cadence for the processional.

Patrick translates "Pilipuka" as "hole in the night." I think it refers to the time between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. In any case, he was inspired by the ticking of the clock late one night if I recall correctly.

Oh, and congratulations Donelle!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/19/2005 8:21:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

SyrcLAX44
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  03:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Send SyrcLAX44 an AOL message  Send SyrcLAX44 a Yahoo! Message
I was wondering if someone could give me the meaning of the name Sanoe?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  04:32:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by SyrcLAX44

I was wondering if someone could give me the meaning of the name Sanoe?

Thanks

The lyrics for this song can be found at http://www.huapala.org/Sanoe.html and Sanoe is the name of a woman.

Someone please correct me or add more if you can; but from my limited knowledge and internet look up, noe means mist, rain or spray. So ka noe (the rain) or sometimes pronounced sa noe... the name means the mist.

Checked http://wehewehe.org for this definition.
quote:
noe
1. nvi. Mist, fog, vapor, rain spray; to form a mist; to settle gently as mist (poetic); misty. Ua noe, misty rain. Noe ke `ala o ka lehua, misty is the fragrance of the lehua. Noe wale mai nĂ´ ke aloha i ku`u lei a`u i haku ai, love alights like mist over the lei I have woven. (Perhaps PEP ngo`e; cf. Easter ngo`e.)

2. (Cap.) n. A rare name for the northeast tradewind (Moa`e).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I don't think "ka noe" would ever be pronounced as "sa noe"...ka 'olelo makua did not use an "s".

Andy is correct that 'ka noe' is a mist, or misty rain. Noe is often used in Hawaiian music to represent love or a loved one...think of the misty rain hugging Mauna Kea, surrounding and encompassing her.

To use 'noe' (or 'pua', or many others) instead of just saying right out that the writer is refering to a loved one is part of the kaona, or hidden meanings of the song.

When Lili'uokalani wrote the song, she used 'ka noe' as the first level of kaona. Then, since the song refers to an affair, she used a second level of kaona and changed it to 'Sanoe' - perhaps a woman's name, perhaps an allusion to ka noe, perhaps...? It's up to the listener to decide.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kekahiaka

Pohakuloa, by Moses Kahumoku, translates to a very rocky place. Moses explained in a CD flier that he was inspired by such a place high up Mauna Kea. I have hiked in many such places in both Hawai'i and elsewhere, and I think his song captures the spirit very well.

E mamala pono
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000