Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 LEDWARD KAAPANA TAB TABS TABLATURE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  4:37:57 PM  Show Profile
I searched the internet and found this website:

http://www.angelfire.com/music2/blackmack/folk.html

Scroll down almost to the end of the webpage and you can download a ZIP file that includes TEF files for the following songs:

He Aloha No 'O Honolulu
Ki ho 'alu
Ku'u Ipo Onaona
Mauna Loa Slack Key
Radio Hula
Salomila
Silver Strings
Whee Ha Swing

All songs can be found on Ledward's CD, Led Live Solo. You will need to download the TEF Viewer program at:

http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

Once you have installed the TEF Viewer you can listen to the songs in MIDI and print out the tabs. By the way, you can see the tunings in the program but not in the print out. If you work with the Viewer, you can print the tunings and other tab aspects. Aloha.

Jon M

Edited by - Papamonty on 07/10/2005 7:28:30 PM

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  7:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a treasure trove.

To print the tuning, Score > Options > Printing and check Print Tuning. It works in Print Preview, though I haven't actually printed yet.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 07/10/2005 7:25:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm really surprised to have found the website and files. Hope you enjoy!!

Jon M

quote:
Originally posted by Pauline Leland

Wow, what a treasure trove.

To print the tuning, Score > Options > Printing and check Print Tuning. It works in Print Preview, though I haven't actually printed yet.

Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
E Pauline -

I think you mean File > Options > Printing and check Print Tuning. Anyhow, that's what worked for me and it does print. Thanks for the tip! Also, ditto to Papamonty re the treasure trove!

Mark (E)

Edited by - Mark E on 07/11/2005 6:43:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile
I got there from more than one starting point, so maybe we're both right. :)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  02:37:01 AM  Show Profile
That collection is a trip. Playing Mauna Loa by Led, using the viewer, and watching the keyboard, made me laugh out loud. It was like a manic RoboLed. The MIDI output using my laptop's chip is more guitar-like than most, but still tinny. And then to watch those fretted notes blink on and off like mad...Yahoo!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

RoboLed is so appropriate. I can't imagine my fingers moving that fast much less Led's. Well, I'm sure Led has lots of practice. =) I thought my speakers were going to catch on fire with how fast the midis were playing!!

Jon M
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  1:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, actually, we have seen and heard (and talked to) Led (and Ned, who once backed up Sarah in a nightclub) in person several times and, although Led is known as "Lima Wela" (Hot Hand), he is much more expressive and, in many places in these songs, plays slower than this viewer, as is appropriate. The viewer just cranks at 130 bpm, regardless. Led would never do that,because he is an artist of the first water. That's really why this stuff, as played by the viewer, is so funny. It's a parody.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile
That being the case, would you have the right tempo for each of the songs in TEF format? That way I can adjust what I am hearing since the tempos are too fast. Thanks.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  02:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Jon,

Perhaps I didn't express myself properly. Led may well have played at an overall, average, tempo/bpm of 135, at which this tab is set. Listening to *him* do it, he modulates tempo (and volume) expressively, as the feeling moves him. (He also takes a beat or 2 to laugh or giggle when he plays something that he just invented, like that hitch in the repetitive bass run :-) You can giggle, too, if you like :-)

If you want to slow it down so that you can follow it more easily, just adjust the viewer's Midi Options (it is the speaker icon) down to a tempo that pleases you or that you can deal with. There is nothing magic or sacred about a piece's tempo. Led just does what he wants, and you can too. Mauna Loa is usually a fairly slow tempo song. It is also true that many songs are played in a speedy, virtuosic, way on recordings, as the performer is showing his/her chops. When played slower, the intrinsic beauty is often more apparent. Sarah and I play several of Sonny's songs much slower than he does (like Ho`omalu Slack Key and Moe Uhane)on recordings, just because of that. We recently heard an amateur tape of Sonny playing Maori Brown Eyes for a student. It was lots slower and much more lyrical than his recorded versions (and was instrumental only).

Anyway, feel free to do what pleases you; everyone else does.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  02:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot...

Maybe 3/4 or more of Led's versions of songs are made up by Led. That is a common thing in Slack Key (It was really hard for me to find the original melody of Kalena Kai in Keola's version, so I had to work it out from vocal recordings to make my own arrangement.) In Led's Mauna Loa, the original song's melody appears relatively pristinely only somewhere in the middle. So, if you want to play Led's piece, called Mauna Loa, that's one thing, and perfectly fine. But, if you want to learn Mauna Loa (and maybe make up your own version), there are other recordings of it that are easier to deal with.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  06:15:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, there ya go!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

Thanks for the followup. Right now I am working on He Aloha No O Honolulu and it is so funny because when I play, it feels as if my fingers are moving like they are in molasses; my brain the same. But it is such a beautiful song that it inspires me to keep going. As I classify myself as a beginning guitarist and slack key player, I first move slow through any piece. Then when I am more proficient at playing, I gauge what is the best tempo for a specific song and go with it.

My goal is to play as proficiently, fast or slow, as Ledward, after many a practice session. Then, when the time comes, I will be ready to pass down slack key to my children. And someday, I'll be proficient enough to make my own arrangements; creatively, I'm not there yet but working on it. =) Just pressin' for now.

While I believe that it is up to the guitarist to make each song his or her own--tempo, rhythm, style, etc.--I personally need points of reference for songs; others may not. Right now the MIDI files are the only points of reference I have and I am in the process of purchasing the Led Live CD. If the tempos are accurate no worries; if not, I'll find out later and adjust to my style of playing.

I finally watched Led's performance from September 2004:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/artist_detail.cfm?artist_id=LEDKAAPANA

Now this is a good point of reference for me. I can figure out the tempos from here on out. Whatever the case, Led is the Man!!!

Mahalo for the insights =)

Jon M

Edited by - Papamonty on 07/14/2005 01:24:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  05:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Why is Whee Ha Swing named that when it is very similar to Ray Kane's Punahele?

Just wondering.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
It's Led's version of Sonny Chillingworth's showpiece. It shares G Wahine tuning and some licks with "Punahele" but it's played much faster and has a characteristic bass run section not shared with Ray's tune. Listen to clips of the two tunes on mele.com to get a feel for the differences, then buy a bunch of CDs <grin>.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh I have a few CDs around here!! Just bought two more, Led's Solo and Cyril's Night Moon. Don't think I have any Sonny CDs yet...next on my list! Wee ha!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000