Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 DVD Giveaway *winners announced*
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  09:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Andy,
I just realized I had a VHS copy of this DVD when I got my purchased DVD in the mail. Please remove me from this drawing.

Ok, no problem. Are you sure? Otherwise, if you win, you could choose the winner.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile
nah .. easier for you to give it to someone who doesn't have it. I am really enjoying the DVD. It is a rare treasure. Especially of Ray Kane looking and sounding GOOD! The shots/vignettes of Sonny Chillingworth by themselves are worth the price.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  09:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
And the winners are... drum roll please...

JimC and timbhunt! Congrats to the winners and thanks to everybody who posted.

And mahalo to the forum member who inspired the idea for the giveaway and Stefan Grossman of Vestapol Videos for sending me DVDs for the giveaway! Check out http://www.guitarvideos.com

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  03:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow... how cool

Mahalo to Andy for Taropatch and mahalo to Vestapol Videos
For donating the DVD

I better pick some lotto numbers I might be on a roll.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  06:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Mahalo to Vestapol videos for da donation. I will add you as a link to my website too! I can't wait to get my hands on this video! Eh Andy we look forward to meeting you someday when out here on da west coast. Keep up the good work and Mahalo for putting togethor such a needed site for people like us! PLAY ON CUZ!
Aloha Pumehana,
Timmy www.alohaislandgrille.com
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  2:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
That was nice of Stephan Grosman to donate the DVDs!

Besides selling videos, the guitarvideos.com website also has an archive of some radio broadcasts by Stephan Grosman that are pretty good. They are not directly related to slack key or Hawaiian music, but people here may find them interesting:

http://guitarvideos.com/radio/00radio.htm

These are four different series of broadcasts that he did for BBC radio in the late 70's and early 80's. Each series is broken up into programs that are each less than 15 minutes. You can download them for free. They are easiest to listen to if you burn the mp3s onto a CD or download them into your iPod.

The programs that would be of most interest to Taropatch people are in the "Fingerpicking Guitar Workshop" series. That series is a somewhat instructional. He explains and demonstrates things on the guitar in addition to talking about the music. Some of the programs are about Open G tuning. It's interesting to see what a completely different culture did with the Open G tuning.

The "Country Blues Guitar" series is also worth checking out. It's a pretty good overview of blues guitar players of the 20s and 30s. I also think the Fahey, Kottke and Renbourn programs in the "Contemporary Fingerpicking Guitar" are worth a listen.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Francie
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  07:13:10 AM  Show Profile
As a new slack key player I would love a DVD! I am a classical refuge and have almost completed Ozzies book which is great for a beginner. I am also working on some from the Mark Nelson/Keola Beamer. What fun without all the contortions of classical guitar.

Francie
Go to Top of Page

Francie
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  07:34:34 AM  Show Profile
whoops! I just saw that the drawing in over. So how about someone telling me the best video for a beginner who is well into Ozzie's book?

Francie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  11:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Discussions of all of the videos can be viewed from the LEARN link at the top of each page.

I would say that Keoki Kahumoku's Introduction to Ki ho`alu DVD is excellent for a beginner.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 11/12/2005 11:58:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  08:03:03 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Dusty. Keoki's video was especially excellent with regards to picking patterns.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000