Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Couple of sound clips
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  6:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Just wanted to share a couple sound clips with everyone. I just posted mp3's of Hi`ilawe and `Opihi Moemoe as samples of our music at http://www.papalua.com. Just click the 'Sounds' tab.

Welcome your comments, critiques, compliments.

Andy

lopie
Aloha

21 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi`ilawe -very sweet vocal and original musical interpretation - some what dips too heavily towards jazz guitar (discord) for my taste at places but overall inspiring interpretation- way cool
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  8:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, Andy. I like the driving beat of the rhythm guitar on Hi'ilawe. The recordings are very "live" sounding which is great.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Nice work on Hi`ilawe -- kinda a slack-key/countryrock/fusiod deal.

Keep it up!

cheers,

m
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Very nice Andy & Darin - especially Hi`ilawe.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Bruddahs Andy & Darin, nice clean sound on both tunes. Coming up with your own arrangements, which I'm always in favor of, shows your creativity. Hana hou...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
The harmony on Hi'ilawe is just right. I have heard it sung more forcefully (Ray Kane, Gabby) just a different style. Nice interplay between the two guitars and voices. Are you both in drop C?

I like your added elements to Opihi Moe Moe from Leonard's tablature. This song really lends itself to adding your own licks to the basic song structure. Nice and clean. I can hear every note of the D7 descending triplets to G. How much more improvisation have you added to the full track? Led Ka'apana has some really inventive turnarounds and frills he has added. Brittni Paiva has done some other add-ons (she just called it scales on the low strings).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Sweet and interesting
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off of fellow musicians. Andy and I are testing out our new recording setups, passing Garageband files between us.

Mike, all the guitars are in standard tuning on Hi`ilawe.

Opihi is all Andy. He's awesome.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  05:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

I like your added elements to Opihi Moe Moe from Leonard's tablature. This song really lends itself to adding your own licks to the basic song structure. Nice and clean. I can hear every note of the D7 descending triplets to G. How much more improvisation have you added to the full track?
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

On Opihi, I tried to keep things fairly straight forward. Playing to a click track is an eye opening experience and definitely a helpful practice tool. I usually add in additional ornamentation but not here for fear of going out of time. I don't think that I can claim anything original. Listening to lots of recordings and seeing artist play live, you start borrowing lots of licks. I can still hear the timing issues but practice makes perfect? Or as teachers prefer to say, "Perfect practice makes perfect.
quote:
Originally posted by dl584

Mike, all the guitars are in standard tuning on Hi`ilawe.
What did he just say? Blasphemous!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  06:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Andy and Darin:

WONDERFUL!!! Both pieces sound absolutely terrific. Real clean recording too. Awesome job, guys!

M
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  07:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Andy and Darin,
At the risk of descending into tech quicksand, can you tell us what mics you used and what effects you used?
And aren't those Garageband files about 80-90mb in size? How do you trade them? I'm also a Garageband user, as is Karl Monetti. Perhaps we can try cooperating on a song sometime.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Darin gave me a CD with the .band file for Hi`ilawe. Even better though, he just told me about http://www.sendover.com which is a free service that lets you transfer 2GB files. I read the privacy policy this morning and it looks safe to me. This looks like a great way to share files enabling multiple people to collaborate.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Mark on the Hi`ilawe characterization, and it is swell. You gotta either have Big Ones to do Hi`ilawe or have a completely different and successful take on it, because it is such an Iconic Anthem. I was aware of 3 other approaches that actually worked (including Akoni's non-slack key, pseudo-chant version). Now there is a fourth. Good going.

You did keep the Opihi Moemoe version pretty straight (I know because I hear Sarah do a near-exact version of Leonard every night), but the variations in licks were appropriate and interesting.

Don't worry so much about click-track timing; you don't want to sound robotic. Sarah worked a lot, at first, with a metronome and learned that the thumb/bass is the only part that needs to be metronomic. Let the other stuff breath for expressiveness, and I think you are doing that. Of course, keeping the overall timing right for somebody who is going to play/overdub the same piece, remotely, is real hard - and maybe artificial. Sarah and Terry did it once and it took lots of planning, with timing charts and stuff, but no click track. After the planning, the overdub took only one take to get right.

Are you still gonna talk to us when you go Platinum?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Jesse,

I used a Rode NT2 mic and a Mojave mic into a Mackie Onyx firewire interface. Garageband 3 is great. This is the first time I've ever used a Mac, but after watching the 1/2 hour online seminar for Garageband 3, I had no problems.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jesse,

And I used a Rode K2 mic into a Presonus Firepod. Also used GB3 which I am still getting a handle on. Added some reverb, echo and compression to my vocal track.

On Opihi, I used a pair of Josephson mics. Panned one channel hard right and the other hard left. I was trying an ORTF mic configuration but now I am not even sure what it was.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000