Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kauai Music trip report
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Just back from Kaua`i. Got to spend a few hours with Paul Togioka at his place in Wailua Homesteads. Very pleasant guy putting up with a pesky fan. Guitar collection to die for - includes a 1898 (I think) Martin and one of Sonny's Martins. Keeps them in a hurricane-proof humidity and temp-controlled room off his garage. Dusty was there a couple of weeks before me. Sounds like Paul is a regular stop on the So Cal Slackers Hawaii tour. The guy can flat out play, if you've never heard him. Very busy guy - beside his day job as a Verizon engineer and a reglular at Milton Lau's Slack Key Festivals, Paul does 15 - 20 weddings a month. He mentioned he'd really rather play all the time instead of doing the engineering stuff - go figure.

Also, Leilani Bond (you all know she's one of my favorite performers) has recorded a Christmas in Kauai Album for release soon. She played me one of the cuts (unmixed) from the CD on her Truck's CD player in the parking lot of the Hyatt.

Finally, spent some time with Dennis Chun. An old buddy of Dennis Kamakahi's who teaches at the Kauai Community College (Hawaiian Studies) and does a regular 3-hour Friday night gig at the Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa (maybe Waipoli - Kauai Coast Hotel behind the Coconut Marketplace). A very talented performer. Fluent in Hawaiian, so the performance is especially satisfying. Lots of slack (he likes C Mauna Loa) standards. Some standard tuning tunes, also. Really mixes it up. We originally met in San Diego where he was visiting his son serving in the Navy. Check him out if you get to Kauai - one of the best all around performers I seen in a while. He'll let you sit in if you beg.

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  12:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
You are back! Almost retired? Sounds like you had too much fun.
Dan and I spent the afternoon on Saturday with John Keawe. He was here for the Festival Del Mar (with Hope) and he bought us a round after his performance (sodas for Dan and I because we had to drive) and we sat in the shade and chatted for an hour or so.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000