Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 What Wood Combos Do You Prefer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cscapes
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cscapes's Homepage
You all continue to be a great source of knowledge for all things slack key. Their hasn't been much discussion in this area so I thought I'd throw something out there.

I'm in the process of looking for a luthier to build me a great guitar that will be used a great deal of the time to play my new found love "slack key"

Of course once I find and qualify a luthier the next most important question becomes "What wood combo's to go with" I have always liked the traditional Spruce/Rosewood combo and have never really been a big fan of a cedar topped guitar they sound to muted for my taste.

I would love to hear from you all regardless of what you prefer and why you prefer that particular combo.
Thanks Everyone!!

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:36:43 AM  Show Profile
I was a spruce/rosewood fan until I got a Taylor 615 Spruce/Flame Maple. It's a jumbo, so that might have some impact, but I love the sound (Taro Patch F). Firmly in 1st place, now.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile
The way you find a luthier is to play a lot of guitars. Then you will both have an idea of what the luthier's signature sound is, and what woods that luthier uses that sound best to you. And talk, talk, talk to the luthier and trust his or her judgement. If the luthier doesn't have a signature sound and/or can not make a guitar that produces a sound that you like, find another luthier.

Woods mean nothing by themselves; it is what the luthier does with them that counts.

For instance, Lance McCollum does wonders with Claro Walnut bodies and redwood tops. All Goodalls, especially pre-1999 Goodalls, have a signature sound that is unmistakeable, but I much prefer what James does/did with koa/cedar, or koa/sitka/Englemann, or mahogany/Big Goose Sitka (you won't find one :-) to what he does with rosewood with any top. If you think cedar is *always* "muted", you just haven't played cedar topped guitars built by the right person. Hank Mauel built a cedar/koa 0 sized (Hank calls it a parlor) guitar for Sarah that is bright and loud, with nice resonances. Yes, cedar sounds different from sitka, but sitka sounds different from adirondack or German or Englemann spruces.

Sarah and I have nearly every combination of body and top woods that exist and each guitar sounds the way we want it to - they are not all the same, but they work well for the songs we play on them.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
It's a tough question. I'm with Reid regarding playing a luthiers instruments before buying. And as far as wood combos go, as has already been discussed here, you can get a different sound from guitars made of the same wood from the same builder and in the same model. I just love the sound of my Martin with the typical mahogany/spruce combo.

Consider Breedlove guitars if you are looking at a high end instrument. They are made here in Bend. Both Bill Keale (he has at least 3) and Ken Emmerson play Breedloves. Because of their affiliation with Bill and Ken, Kim Breedlove has a good knowledge of what slackeyers want. I have played both of Bills. Good range of sound from concert sized guitars, sound you might expect to get from a dreadnought sized guitar, and great action. They can build you one to your specifications from a variety of wood combos. And there are plenty out there for you to test drive, so you know what you are getting. And they are a just beautiful too. A custom Breedlove is on my wish list for sure.

www.billkeale.com

www.breedloveguitars.com

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 01/25/2007 09:59:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000