Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Travelling Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  1:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I have a Martin Backpacker, but just ran across the Aria Sinsonido travelling instruments -- guitar and bass. These instruments can be played and listen to with earphones or amplifed. They are essentially the fretboard with a pickup. You attach a tubular frame.
Anyway anyone out there played these?

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile
I use the Miranda - similar idea, but instead of attaching a tube, you attach 2 plastic parts so that the "body" has the outline of an actual guitar, as well as the depth. Easy to switch from reular guitar to the portable. Good electronics, too.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  03:35:33 AM  Show Profile
I got the nylon version last year and I like it. I am considering the steel string as well. You can't beat the price. However, I would not play it if a regular guitar was available. for travel and portability it is perfect.
I found that if you get an acoustic processing "pedal" it can be tweaked to sound very close to a real acoustic guitar. I use a processor even when using phones because it sounds so much better. Without a processor it is plinky.
I have a short sample of E ku'u Morning Dew played using a Sinsonido w/processor. If you want to hear it let me know.

Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  8:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. Web surfing checked the Miranda which is interesting but very pricey compared to the Aria. And I saw D. Ho perform with the Yamaha which cost more than the Aria with basic Zoom A2 processor. Also checked out Traveller guitar which price-wise is comparable to the Aria but not sure if they only offer steel string. Aria does offer a nylon string with the neck of a steel guitar in addition to the normal classical neck size.

Genaro

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Just received my Aria Guitar. One advantage of the Aria noted over the Martin Backpacker is the number of frets --Martin 15 frets, Aria 19 frets.
Of course the Martin Backpacker doesn't need ear phones or an amp to be heard.
BTW got the nylon with the skinnier neck.
Genaro

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  09:10:06 AM  Show Profile
As I indicated in my first response, this "guitar" is not perfect, but it certainly is compact and portable. I have my wife drive on longer trips and I parctice in the front seat next to her. Now that's compact!
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile
So, how's the Aria?
Go to Top of Page

andyjade
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  06:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Not to derail the thread, but does anybody own a Backpacker? I've been tempted many times, as they are on Craigslist for cheap. I'm just not sure about the tone/quality/overall portability.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  07:34:47 AM  Show Profile
Me... I never liked the sound of the Martin Backpacker.

The Baby Taylor is about the same length, a little wider
and sounds a whole lot better. I.M.N.S.H.O.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  08:06:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I second that...you kind of left us hanging dude. How's the Aria?

As for the Martin Backpacker, it is compact and sturdy which makes it a great choice for backpacking. And I think that is its best virtue. Wax it up and it even becomes somewhat moisture resistant. And believe me it won't make it sound any worse. The thing is, they don't sound that great but what do you expect from a guitar that small, and, they are difficult to play. Mine has high action (you can purchase an alternative bridge to lower the action) and is difficult to hold. Because of the shape, it keeps wanting to turn sideways, kinda like a lap steel. I found the most comfortable way to play it is when I'm laying down. A strap is almost completely necessary. There are alternatives that I have played that are about the same size as the Martin but sound much better. But I suspect are not nearly as suitable for the rugged outdoors. In short, if you are into backbacking and want to bring along a guitar for a campfire sing-a-long, the backpacker is probably your best alternative. However, if you just want a small, compact, easy-to-travel-with guitar, that won't be subjected to the rugged outdoors, there are better sounding and playing options.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, with regards to the Aria, I think Haole Boy is the better authority in the "patch" since I've been focusing mostly on ukulele. But I do like the fuller sound albeit thru headphones. I got the nylon strings and also noted that "ball end" strings are used. Glad my neighborhood music store stocks them and for backup there's always the internet music stores. I kind of like playing without the frame. Feels great. And when I relearn those sambas I'll perform with it. Usually I leave the guitar playing to Sil da Tril. But I like the concept so much that I found a great deal for a fretless Aria bass, and plan to spend more time learning bass.
I bought my Martin Backpacker for its portability, too. Years back-pre ukulele- brought it to Hawaii. Took it with me inside the jet, and as I had a window seat did not stow it overhead, but placed it to the side. Was great not having a cumbersome guitar case to lug around with my other baggage which included a set of golf clubs.
BTW there is a Backpacker with a built in pick up available. And maybe with an acoustic processor you might be able to get a better sound. Would you be defeating the purpose though having to bring a small portable amp with you like a Roland Microcube or a Pignose? Maybe, but what a great excuse to buy another toy.
When I travel next and want a guitar, probably bring the Aria. But I won't get rid of the Backpacker - can keep it in a different slack key tuning. Incidently noticed that the newer ones have a larger head and the body is not tapered to the full length of the neck.
Genaro

Genaro

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
My wife gave me a martin BPer 12 years ago and it has travelled with me all over the place. Yes, it is small, hard to play (must use a strap, and i hold the guitar in place with my right forearm), and sounds like, well, like you'd expect a really small bodied guitar to sound...only worse. I used it because i travel a lot and like to play during layovers, etc....there are only so many cross word puzzles a guy can do.
After all those years of enjoying it because it was available and the airlines let you take them anywhere, i finally got tired of the lack of sound and decided to make one of my own, and i think i came up with a good alternative. Same length as the BPer, same depth of body, but a 12" width, full 25 inch scale, hollow neck, and sounds pretty darned good, too.
Having owned one for years and having played many other travel guitars since then, I would not recommend it unless the few ounces of weight or the several inches of width are important to you. The bby taylors dn't cost that much more,and they are real guitars. Still not a full sound, but at least people don't ask you in the airport, "what the heck is that?"

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000