Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Jerry Byrd's course
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Slipry1 mentioned that he got a Jerry Byrd course on steel guitar. I just purchased it too. I began to wonder however, who is the seller and is he licensed by Jerry's estate to sell this book? I only ask since I know his widow and I wonder if she is getting any benefit from this or does the seller have her blessings?
I'm not trying to open a can of worms since I hear the book imparts much knowledge. But when I sat in Jerry's studio he used to tell me stories about unauthorized use of his name. Like the Excel fry pan was made and Jerry's name was put on it before he approved of it. I came to care for Jerry a lot and I just want to know about the book. I'm in no position to do anything and it might be all legal anyway.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  11:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I can understand your concern. Hopefully, Jack purchased a used, original copy on the open market, not a pirated or copied work. This would not be an infringement on Jerry Byrd's estate. Reselling of a used book or video should not be under the control of the original publisher, unless there was some right reserved by the author and noted at the time of original sale, which is extremely rare, if not unenforceable. There has been some legal action to try and force secondary royalties paid on used items, but it's never been successful.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 07/01/2007 12:30:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  05:43:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I can understand your concern. Hopefully, Jack purchased a used, original copy on the open market, not a pirated or copied work. This would not be an infringement on Jerry Byrd's estate. Reselling of a used book or video should not be under the control of the original publisher, unless there was some right reserved by the author and noted at the time of original sale, which is extremely rare, if not unenforceable. There has been some legal action to try and force secondary royalties paid on used items, but it's never been successful.
Jesse Tinsley

[try again] No, unfortunately, it isn't a used copy. The guy only lets you pay for it with the "buy now" option. As I told Noeau offline, sometimes I am too naive for my own good. Scotty sells the same thing for $106 and this one sells for $80; I wonder if the difference goes to Jerry's widow. Scotty is a long time Byrd fan and supporter, and he is very reputable, so I'm pretty sure he would do the right thing. The guy I bought it from is in Washington, DC. I know nothing about him. I'll have to wait and see what Noeau finds out. The book is fantastic, though. BTW, the frypan I bought is one that Shot Jackson (ShoBud) made with Jerry's approval back in the 80's and 90's.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  07:17:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, sometimes its good to go to the source. I emailed the seller and he said he found a box full of the books in a music store going out of business. His foresight is our gain. He also says he may be relocating to Seattle. I asked him if he is a musician and I await his reply. I put this in so that people won't get excited and angry over a simple situation. However as musicians we should be aware of bootlegging and stuff. I know that we share music a lot. but at least as musicians we use the material in a good way, I think we do any way.So if people want to post on this thread feel free. But don't condemn the seller of Jerry's book. Its all good.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Aloha, sometimes its good to go to the source. I emailed the seller and he said he found a box full of the books in a music store going out of business. His foresight is our gain. He also says he may be relocating to Seattle. I asked him if he is a musician and I await his reply. I put this in so that people won't get excited and angry over a simple situation. However as musicians we should be aware of bootlegging and stuff. I know that we share music a lot. but at least as musicians we use the material in a good way, I think we do any way.So if people want to post on this thread feel free. But don't condemn the seller of Jerry's book. Its all good.

Mahalo nui, Al. Good work. I rest easy. Thanks for your effort.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000