Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kenneth Makuakane - Ku`u Home o Manoa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  02:23:33 AM  Show Profile
I was going through our many drawers of Hawaiian music when I stumbled upon a CD we bought as a souvenir on our first trip to Hawai`i, which was a cruise on NCL. This CD was a compilation of music played on the ersatz-Muzak on the ship.

I just noticed who did one of the songs on here....Kenneth Makuakane...Ku`u Home o Manoa. That was always one of my favorites on the CD, but I had no idea who any of these folks were, except Pandanus Club, which I heard of, because they were on one of the Iz CDs. It was originally released on the compilation "Wa`ahila" which is out of print, per our best expert's web site, mele.com.

I had set the CD aside as we acquired more and more traditional music, because this NCL disc had a wide variety -- reggae and Jawaiian, which I did not necessarily care for. What a joy to rediscover it, and the surprise of finding our friend, Ken Makuakane on there.

Here is who else is on there:

Makana - E Nihi Ka Hele
Shilo Pa - Straight to the Heart
Daniel Ho - Another Day, Another Life
The Rising Tide - Island Memories
Ho`aikane - Sweet Love
Hawaiian Heart - Big Ship
Isa Lei/Tofa Mai Feleni - Aukahi Pride(this is spectacular!)
Keali`i Reichel - E Ho'i Ka Pili
Sonny Lim - Kiho`alu Jam
Kohomua - Hold me in your Arms
Kawaiha`o - Pandanus Club

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/12/2007 02:24:57 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  04:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Kenneth Makuakane is a talented composer, musician -- and producer. Upon closer examination of the liner notes of CDs, you'll often see his name included. Having him finally come out with a solo release after decades "behind the scenes", was a delight. "Makuakane" allows him to shine!

One correction on your list, Wanda -- the group is Aukahi Pride; the medley is Isa Lei/Tofa Mai Feleni. That group is actually the Masoe `ohana from Hawai`i island. Mom is Iwalani Kekauoha-Masoe, dad is Fono Masoe, and their son (with the awesome falsetto voice) is Kaniala. They've released 2 CDs -- the one as Aukahi Pride; another as the group Something Special (both are out of print; available only from retailers on Hawai`i, or directly from the Masoe's). You can hear Kaniala on the CD Aloha Festivals Hawaiian Falsetto Contest Winners Vol 4:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/various+artists/aloha+festivals+falsetto+contest+winners+-+vol.+4/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  05:31:54 AM  Show Profile
You are right, Auntie. I typed the sequence backwards, when I put the entry for Isa Lei/Tofa Mai Feleni. Yes, the group is Aukahi Pride. I really love the way they do Tofa Mai Feleni. It is so sweet, really chicken skin. Such soaring, beautiful voices. I just ordered Makuakane a few days ago (amongst others)...can't wait til it comes. Another contribution to the Auntie Maria retirement fund!
We love it when the "mele man" makes deliveries at our house.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile
For years I've taken Kenneth's name on liner notes as a "stamp of quality" and have never been diappointed. One of the real superstars!
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
I always liked Ken. I remember when it was pau hana time I'd meet a bunch of people over at the Hawai'i Prince Hotel where Pandanus Club was playing and was invited to sit with Ken's group of friends - many Kamehameha Schools alum and one of his old teachers, which was very nice. They'd bring ono food and sit around and talk story until the band was pau. I know Ken wanted to start a Hawaiian music magazine at one time and we'd sit around dinner with this other guy and discuss it but that never got off the ground. Haven't seen him in awhile but he lived not too far from me in Kailua. I'm glad to see that he's released a solo album. He's been producing records for a long time.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Edited by - LovinLK on 07/13/2007 5:37:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  6:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
Eh you folks, my ears were ringing, so I went to check why and found you discussing my past. How fun to read your thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you for those wonderful comments. I put my heart and soul into everything I do and when I read things like this, I know that all that hard work paid off.
Thank you taropatch for making life fun and interesting.

Malama pono kakou!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  06:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Mahalo to YOU, Kenneth - for all the great music you've made, as well as bringing great sounds out of other talented folks. Your show at Folklife this year blew people away - and NOW they know who you are! (And we won't even get into every headache you deal with to make the Hokus come together...whether I was responsible or not.) Hope to see you again soon.

=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Alohe E Kenneth - the "mele man" delivered my CDs today and we have just been listening to your "Makuakane". Very enjoyable; some sweet, some kolohe. I like the Ama Ama mele especially. What I also like is the use of `olelo Hawai`i on the printed material thereof. Looks like you did about everything there was to be done on this CD...producer, engineering, mixing, etc., etc., etc. One hahd workin' buggah.

Mahalo for sharing your music with us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  05:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
Aloha Wanda,

Please go to my website (www.makuakane.com), select RECORDINGS, then MAKUAKANE. You can download a pdf of all the lyrics, the English translations, a paragraph about each song, the liner notes, and other comments in readable form.
I know I kind of went overboard with doing everything on the CD. I was trying to do a truly SOLO project and felt I succeeded. It was hard work, but everything worth doing comes at a price. I'm currently working on another CD, mmm maybe I'll start today. I'm going to try and finish it in three weeks. Time me ok!

Malama pono,
Kenneth
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  06:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Hey Ken ... nice to see you here. Haven't been back to the islands for awhile. It's nice when the artists post on the board.

Marguerite

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:41:36 AM  Show Profile
Kenneth - thanks for sharing the link to your web site with the lyrics and stories. We did read them on the CD insert, but, eh, brah, I one 55 yeah-old tutu lady, weah readin' glasses on one string roun' my neck. Yestahday no can fine my reading glasses, look all ovah fo dem. Ha-ha, joke on me - dey stay on string roun my neck!

I find it quite interesting with two mele on this CD, "Pukalaki" and "Wa`awa`aikina`auop" as I did with Lai Toodle or with Kaulana Na Pua that the words can bite, but yet the music and the feelings are still pono. How do you do that? When I am grumpy, I am never sweet about it...I am just out and out grumpy/mean/mad.

Exceptional is Pua o Pauoa. You did for John Almeida exactly what I have been trying to do for `Ohana Pahinui. Big difference is you and Keola know what you are doing and have talent...both sorely lacking in me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Wanda, if you go to Kenneth's release page you can find a pdf document with the liner notes in a much larger font:

http://www.makuakane.com/content/?q=node/190

With 20 songs on the CD, we were left with the choice of either using a very small font or leaving off lyrics or translations. We opted to include them all but also have the document online, reformatted for easy reading.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  08:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Keole & Kenneth - Yes, I went to the web site. The good thing about .pdf is that I can blow it up to kajillions of percent so I can see it well. "Take it to the Lord in Prayer" is much slower and sweeter than the way old tune "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" that we used to sing at our church down home in W. Va. Of course, you didn't have my Uncle Ted blowing on his pitch pipe to get everyone on key and then they bust out singing off key anyhow (with GREAT FERVOR). http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh526.sht

Keola & Kenneth: This is a GREAT CD. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with the world.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
Aloha Wanda,

I'm curious about your Pahinui song. Maybe I can try to do a demo of the song in the style you are hearing. Just let me know how the tune goes and a song from one of the Pahinui albums you are trying to emulate. This would be an interesting experiment.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Kenneth - I sent you an e-mail through Taro Patch with the words in English. I was trying to write directly in Hawaiian but was failing miserably. I guess it is hard to think in Hawaiian without thinking in English and translating.

Mahalo nui loa for your kokua. What a very kind thing to offer.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000