Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Songs from Hawai`i Island - Na Mele Moku o Keawe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:38:52 AM  Show Profile
On the new releases from Auntie Maria, is the following
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/darlene+ahuna/songs+from+hawai%60i+island+%289-4-2007%29/

This is a compilation by various artists from that island. Song number 6 is entitled "Saddle Road" and is done by Dana Leilehua Yuen. Could this be our friend who is a welder/kumu hula/artist/musician/chef/motorcycle mama, and a jillion more other accomplishments? When do you get to go hiamoe (sleep)? Good thing Maui slowed down the sun so the days could last longer.

And is cut #4 done by your husband?

Congratulations on this very nice recording.

(And don't forget -- Diana Aki is on here, too. I am so excited!)

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/11/2007 06:39:24 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Here's the CD review from John Berger (Honolulu Star-Bulletin):

"Place songs" have been a popular subject for Hawaiian song writers for generations. This compilation, created for the Hawai'i Island Visitors Bureau by Keoki Kahumoku and Elmer "Sonny" Lim Jr., utilizes the talents of 13 Big Island residents in an 11-song collection that "celebrates stories of our homeland, the island of Hawaii." Kahumoku produced the project; Lim is credited with providing additional bass, slack-key guitar and steel guitar.

Both men also perform. Kahumoku contributes "Kealia," one of three hapa-haole songs. Lim is joined by his mother, Mary Ann Lim, on "No Kohala." The list of participants also includes Na Hoku Hanohano Award winners John Keawe, Darlene Ahuna and Diana Aki.

The pre-Contact music of Hawaii is represented by a chant, "Lei O Hilo Ka Ua Pe Ka Uahi," performed by Kekuhi Kanahele Kealiikanakaoleohaililani, Taupouri Tangaro and their students. "Ka La Hui Pua'a," performed to a catchy hapa-haole rhythm by Daniel Kahikina Akaka Jr., is also noteworthy.

While some "place songs" are straightforward descriptions of a particular location, others contain kaona (concealed references) about people or events. Unfortunately, producer Kahumoku provides no information about the meaning of the eight Hawaiian songs, let alone translations or anything about the ties they may have to the artists who recorded them. The lyrics may be describing the beauty of the Big Island, but visitors -- and everyone else who isn't fluent in Hawaiian -- won't get the message.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  09:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage
Aloha!

Here is another recent article regarding the project with a focus on Keoki Kahumoku and Daniel Ho.

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=7078284

quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

On the new releases from Auntie Maria, is the following
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/darlene+ahuna/songs+from+hawai%60i+island+%289-4-2007%29/

This is a compilation by various artists from that island. Song number 6 is entitled "Saddle Road" and is done by Dana Leilehua Yuen. Could this be our friend who is a welder/kumu hula/artist/musician/chef/motorcycle mama, and a jillion more other accomplishments? When do you get to go hiamoe (sleep)? Good thing Maui slowed down the sun so the days could last longer.

And is cut #4 done by your husband?

Congratulations on this very nice recording.

(And don't forget -- Diana Aki is on here, too. I am so excited!)

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile
This CD is most excellent and has a wide variety of musical styles and artists on it. Profits from this ?CD go to assist in scholarships for youngsters to attend one of Keoki's slack key camps, in order to prepetuate the musical tradition. It starts out with `oli by Kekuhi Kanahele; then Kevin Kealoha and then John Keawe. Also songs by Leilehua Yuen and Marcus Wong Yuen. Leilehua's "Saddle Road" is a modern mele and has a great feeling to it. And the crowning glory in my opinion is Diana Aki doing "Ka Lei E". Wow! She can really sing. Makes me want to go back to the Big Island and find all the good music to listen to.

This CD would be a great addition to any Hawaiian music collection.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000