Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hearing Each Other Update
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2003 :  8:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Forgive me for starting another topic. You are, of course, free to send in whatever you want. However, when I proposed this project I intended a cd of very straightforward submissions -- just a way to share our sounds across space - a CD you listen to once or twice and that's it. In fact, I recorded my contribution last week -- it took just about 15 minutes and 2 takes. It is not perfect. In my opinion anyone who spends a lot more time on this project is putting obstacles in their own way. Finally, "deadline" is 2/15, firm. On 2/16 I will go to my mailbox and compile a CD of whatever has been sent in to date. Your choice if you want to be included.
Raymond
San Jose

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Bravo, Raymond!!

(....ooops, wrong language )

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  11:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If I don't put obstacles in my own way, who will? (Especially now that I'm divorced.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/17/2003 11:12:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  5:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Raymond, I was attempting humor. Nothing more.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2003 :  01:57:30 AM  Show Profile
It's not that I don't get humor. I do have the complete Monty Python. What I wanted to get across that that 1) it can be scary to share our playing with each other. 2) we are all in the same boat. 3)Worrying about playing something "just right" is a sure way to make any recording project almost insurmountable. 4) Unless you are a real techie, adding lots of technical things to worry about in the recording makes it even worse. I'm just encouraging people to keep as simple as possible and get it done.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  1:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Raymond, are you taking submissions from the
uke players also?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  9:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Good question - haven't thought about it cause I don't play uke. If I get a sense of how many people would actually submit a piece played on uke I would have a better sense of if I would be willing to do it. So... uke players -- "submit your intentions" or something like that.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  03:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'd be willing to put together a uke CD if Raymond isn't.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  12:10:21 AM  Show Profile
Craig -
My suggestion is to see how many are interested. If there's only a few, it might be easy to incorportate it onto the sampler I'm editing. If there's more than I feel I can handle, maybe you can take over. OK?
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  5:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That's what I figured, so no problem.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  7:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Raymond, how are we doing as far as submissions go? I've got three in my hands ready to send to you (socalslackey, marzullo, and me).

If anyone is holding off submitting because they don't feel they're good enough, email me at craig @ patchett.com and I'll send you a copy of my entry. Kani Ki Ho`alu (the first song in Ozzie's book) and it took me three hours just to get one all-the-way through take without completely messing up. (It actually sounds OK up until the hammer-ons.) In other words, not everyone here can get something worth listening to in 15 minutes and two takes (let alone three hours worth of trying). And the only obstacle I'm putting in my way is lack of talent! (I make up for it with enthusiasm and sheer tenacity.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/28/2003 7:06:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  11:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
First I want to clarify something about my "two takes" comment. I wasn't trying to say that 2 takes would yield a perfect take. What I was trying to say was not to sweat perfection. Try a couple of takes and submit what you have. When I listen to my submission I'm tempted to go and do it over, and probably over and over -- but I am resisting.

With your three submissions, and with mine, we are up to 5 total.
I'm a little disappointed, but you make an offer and have to live with whatever comes of it.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2003 :  11:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Raymond n Craig,

Nice to hear something is coming in.

I have at last fixed my technical issue with recording. Actually, there never was any issue...
Long story short....I wrote to Fran G a while back asking his advice on some issues. I was all Jones'd to buy yet another piece of hardware cause my computer (evil friggin laptop) was mocking me.

Anyway, he suggested what I was looking at although nice, may not be what I needed........so, I waited.

For all the techno dorks out there.......I take a bow.....my trusty
Cakewalk program on my laptop (evil friggin) was working just fine, I was trying to record with a stereo input plug, with a mono socket........in otherwords.....Radio Shack.....1.99 problem solved.

Gonna put somethin on CD in the morning.....one track, no overdubs, I swear... will be in the Mail to you Raymond by Friday. I swear, the checks in the mail!!!

Craig and Kiho'K.........the printing came back today. Looks real nice. Craig......write me with a mailing address, 'K?

aloha to you all

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  09:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Raymond,

Don't be downhearted! I've got one track down (I, too, would like to redo it ;-) ) and we might get more. I know everyone appreciates your offer to compile a CD for us at TP.

Between subzero temps and the furnace noise (roaring) and the humidifier noise (roaring) and intermittent traffic outside the window, finding a quiet time to record during this frigid season has been a challenge. Normally, winter is a good time because the windows are closed against neighborhood noises, nor is the AC ruling the roost. But this is the coldest it's been around here for many years.

So you have at least 6 tracks, and no doubt more yet to come :-)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Don't forget me too. I have one track recorded which is probably acceptable; but given the deadline, I figured I may give it one more try. Who knows, I may end up with a totally different song next time the recording button is on.

I record in my basement and it gets cold down there. No excuses though!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  10:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Another thing to consider might be accepting a second submission, to be included if the CD doesn't fill up.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page