Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Broken high E strings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

animatorgeek
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile
At the Folklife Festival in Seattle this year I learned my first slack key song: Manini (in taro patch tuning). I love playing it, and people I play it for always enjoy it. Unfortunately, retuning my guitar seems to weaken the high E string, such that I've broken two already (at the tuning peg). It tends to happen after about ten times retuning, and both times the string broke while tuning _down_ to D.

I'm using Nanoweb light strings (i.e. a 12 gauge high E) on a Rainsong A-WS1000.

Is this just something I have to expect? Do I have to keep a separate guitar just for slack key if I want to avoid breaking strings? Should I just stock up on high E strings and keep my winder handy?

-David (slack key newbie)

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey David -

Funny, I just answered that same question under a different topic.

I crank my strings up and down a bit, too. It will stress them, but not so much that they fail after ten times through the wringer. Breaking when you tune down is normal, BTW.

It sounds like you may have a mechanical issue-- since it's happening at the peg, maybe it's something to do with how you string your guitar? Are you crimping the string to lock it when you wind it up?

Also, when you say
quote:
It tends to happen after about ten times retuning
what exactly is going on? How much time has passed between the ten tunings? What are you doing to the the guitar between retunings? (Playing Pinball Wizard??)

There are lot's of guitar heads here who can, and will, chime in. Particularly to the question:
quote:
Do I have to keep a separate guitar just for slack key?

But of course. Three or four. Now you have an excuse.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  12:34:18 PM  Show Profile
My strings would break like that but now I wrap 4-5 around the peg at the tuner. Don't have that problem now. Of course I try to change strings often since I don't really like dead strings. So maybe I change before the strings get to tired. Although if I'm not performing sometimes the strings stay on for a couple of months. I play everyday and retune accordingly.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

animatorgeek
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  2:02:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Oops... I did a search but couldn't find the answer.... Anyway, thanks for the repeat help :)

quote:
It sounds like you may have a mechanical issue-- since it's happening at the peg, maybe it's something to do with how you string your guitar? Are you crimping the string to lock it when you wind it up?

I do crimp it, but the break is happening right where the string meets the tuner (where it starts turning around the peg after coming off the nut). That makes sense to me, since that's the place were it's bending back and forth repeatedly as I retune.

quote:
Also, when you say
quote:
what exactly is going on? How much time has passed between the ten tunings? What are you doing to the the guitar between retunings? (Playing Pinball Wizard??)

Generally at least a week passes between retunings. I haven't been playing much lately and it's probably been about three months since the last time this happened. As for what else I'm playing, it's mostly fairly light-duty strumming with some fingerpicking thrown in. I did sit in on an open band for a dance a few weeks ago, which involved much heavier strumming for about two hours of playing. I didn't feel like I was stressing the instrument, though.

quote:

quote:

Oh, if only I had the money for that. Or the space, for that matter. I'm living a modest life at the moment. It's going to be a while till I can justify buying another guitar (but that time will come! Oh yes).

-David
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Easy answer: two guitars!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  5:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
2 guitars is the ideal senario...what better excuse do you need?

I had the same thing happen to me last week while installing a new saddle and nut. All the tuning and detuning while making hieght adjustments busted my high E too. It was wrapped around the tuning peg many times, however, the string broke the same place as yours. I just used the excess that I cut off and tied a square knot between the nut and the tuning peg.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  05:57:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by animatorgeek

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Oops... I did a search but couldn't find the answer.... Anyway, thanks for the repeat help :)

quote:

I do crimp it, but the break is happening right where the string meets the tuner (where it starts turning around the peg after coming off the nut). That makes sense to me, since that's the place were it's bending back and forth repeatedly as I retune.

quote:
Also, when you say
quote:

Generally at least a week passes between retunings. I haven't been playing much lately and it's probably been about three months since the last time this happened. As for what else I'm playing, it's mostly fairly light-duty strumming with some fingerpicking thrown in. I did sit in on an open band for a dance a few weeks ago, which involved much heavier strumming for about two hours of playing. I didn't feel like I was stressing the instrument, though.

quote:

quote:

Oh, if only I had the money for that. Or the space, for that matter. I'm living a modest life at the moment. It's going to be a while till I can justify buying another guitar (but that time will come! Oh yes).

-David

Look at the tuner carefully. There might be a burr or sharp edge at the end of the hole. I've seen this more often in banjos than guitars, especially inexpensive ones (no slur intended). A little brush-up with a round Swiss pattern file usually takes care of the problem. BTW, being slothful, I usually change strings when either one breaks from decrepitude or I can no longer stand the sound of dead strings (usually preceeded by 'What's wrong with this piece of junk!?'). - jack

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by animatorgeek

At the Folklife Festival in Seattle this year I learned my first slack key song: Manini (in taro patch tuning).
Just curious, David --- who did you learn it from? A bunch of us here on TP play at Folklife, in one band or another, every year.
Go to Top of Page

animatorgeek
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  12:00:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
Just curious, David --- who did you learn it from? A bunch of us here on TP play at Folklife, in one band or another, every year.

I don't remember her name. It was in a workshop, I think on Saturday 1 or 1:30 in the afternoon.

-David
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  1:33:26 PM  Show Profile
I'd bet that was Neeej's workshop. Neeej - you willing to own up?
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

I'd bet that was Neeej's workshop. Neeej - you willing to own up?

Yup---but I share the blame with Susy <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

animatorgeek
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  07:16:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neeej

Yup---but I share the blame with Susy <G>

Ah yes. I'm the guy who came in a few minutes late with the carbon fiber (black) guitar. Thanks for the great workshop. I only wish it could have been longer :)

-David
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
See, I tol' you! I thought it was me! Eees da string, watch dem buggas! Goin' buckaloose ewry time I tell you! Howzit Mark!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000