Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 vamps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  05:27:13 AM  Show Profile
howzit, anyone get tabs of different kine vamps fo slack key?

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile
they are in all of the good slack key books for sale

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  08:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
No free vamps (or free lunch) but I've got a couple of free tabs on my website that might help ya out.

http://www.mark-o.com/tabstore.html

One's got a bunch of double stops in Taropatch tuning, the other is a very simple arrangement of an excercise I wrote to introduce the style; "Pua Lena" -- it's in Taropatch and has a typical vamp in it.

Check those out -- then get out yer credit card and buy Ozzie's book, and mine, and Keola's and Mark Hanson's and every other dang one. Don't forget some of the excellent DVDs. And start saving for one of the camps.

Once yer hooked, we'll reel ya in like a big wet fish.

Edited by - Mark on 10/02/2007 08:04:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  08:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Joka, there are, order of magnitude, about 100 different vamp variations in Taropatch alone - I started cataloging only those in Open G at the first 5 frets. I stopped at over 20 because I was boring myself out of my mind. If you, differentiate the D7 ( and partial A7) measure from the G measure and multiply just those that I did, you get about 20x20=400 combinations. They only differ by a note or two, but that is enough to make them sound different. (Put a hammered E in, from the A7, into the first measure and see what I mean.) Some are done with brushes or strums, some with harmonics.

Then there are the D7-G vamps around the 7th fret. That's a whole new ballgame.

And, there are the numerous parallel 6th vamps - some only descending, some rising and descending, some with slides up and down.

Now move onto the other tunings, various C's, or G or D wahine with hammers or arpeggios, or whatever is appropriate to the tuning.

So, to ask for "different kinds of vamps" is to ask for a lifetime's experience. I am continually finding different variations (several I can't do, too) and it doesn't look like it is going to end anytime soon. And I haven't been at it for that long.

Start searching.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/02/2007 08:43:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Joka,

Ozzies Book, "Guitar playing Hawaiian Style" has 8 songs and contains numerous vamps. One of the nice things about the book is that in the tablature, it identifies the vamps by putting a big "VAMP" sign above those measures.

Also, Keoki's DVD has a section on basic taropatch vamps, and Ledwards DVD also has a vamp section, slightly more advanced.

Good luck and if I ever run into you I'll be happy to show you some--by then you prolly show me sum too, eh?

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:29:48 AM  Show Profile
wow ... tanks eh you guys. I stay learning choke from Ozzie's book. Mark, tanks fo da link. I wen download Pua Lena befo but neva know how fo play um ... heh. Afta playing da first tree of Ozzie's book, I wen go back an try um again ... wow. I like dat one.

I tink I stay hooked already ... on my down time I no can put my guitar down!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2007 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I have a hard time learning vamps from tab or even by listening. The only way I've learned new vamps is to sit next to a good slack key guitarist. I know that's not easy for most of us and I've only done it a few times myself. But it's a rich learning experience. It's worth flying to Seattle and jamming with our friend Thumbstruck.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Joka! When I was taught ki ho'alu, the 2nd thing I learned was vamps (da firs' was da t'umb fo t'ree weeks). For a month that was all we played. I was told, "Can play any kine, 'long as it fit."
To unwind, I'll just sit and play vamps (in tight key, I play "Spike Driver's Blues"). It's cheaper than therapy. Reid, thanks for the numerical breakdown, it gives us something to shoot for!

Edited by - thumbstruck on 10/04/2007 03:41:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  03:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Jesse! When you coming to Seattle again?
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  05:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I like da way Ozzie teaches through his book ... jus as long as you read through da notes, he gives all da tips jalike he stay right nex to you! I tink it's so cool. I like trying fo play da piece first without his help ... den afta reading da notes, I learn da HUMANGUS difference between how I tot I supposed to play um to how you can play um ... way mo easy. :-)

I like how he teaches vamps an stuffs too ... I learning so much! My nex goal is fo take his style of teaching (learning witout even knowing you stay learning) to how I teach math and chemistry. Unreal, dis ki ho`alu stuff no?

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Probably waiting for your liederhosen season to wrap up.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:11:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Probably waiting for your liederhosen season to wrap up.

Hey, Retro - wazzaamatta? It's lederhosen (literally, leather pants). Thumb's affliction generally subsides as November slips in on us.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Maybe "liederhosen" means "19th century German art song pants."

Sorry Brandon - returning to your regularly scheduled original thread.

Edited by - Momi on 10/04/2007 10:16:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Eh Joka - if you can teach math without someone knowing they are being taught math, then you are indeed a star! I can't even add 2+2 without a calculator.

Since you are finding it pretty easy and swell to learn from a book/CD, do you think it will be the same way for me to learn `ukulele? I do know how to read music and I think I could follow that better than trying to figure out tab.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Eh Kory & Jack: One of my favorite German sayings from back in my jr. & sr. high days is "Sie habe nicht alle tasse im schrank." I use that still to this day when someone is being a doofus or is pupule.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  5:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Joka! Could use yoa baritone horn at Oktoberfest! Can play in sharps? Hahd, 'cause no mo capos foa da horns. (Hans' box is ADGC, mines DGCFBb--togedda we get all da notes!)
Back to vamps: really get only 2 kine:
1) dakine go up
2) dakine go down
I jus' mix an' match. Keep track of da mistakes, can use'm someweah else.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000