Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 More Jesse Tinsley on You Tube
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Pretty soon we have enough for one CD or DVD. Very fine, Jesse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPZXX6zv8Y

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  2:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Real nice Jesse...

One thing I cannot figure out.. How you play with long sleeves?
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  4:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Loved your rendition! Maika'i loa, as usual! Hahaha! Keep up the great work. As I said last time, I'll always be waiting for more mele from you.

Hana hou!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  4:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I just remembered! Do I have permission to make a request? "Kalama'ula!" It's one of my favorite ha'i songs.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo! I haven't posted it here because I goofed up some notes on that video so I was going to redo it, but time is hard to find.
I should add that my version is a hybrid of Joe Keawe's and Auntie Genoa's falsetto styles.
As far as "Kalama'ula" goes, I'll need an oxygen tank to get through it.

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 11/03/2007 7:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  8:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
GO JESSE - GO JESSE - GO JESSE - UHUH - UHUH.

You sould put a palm tree or a picture of an Hawaiian sunset behind you. haha

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Mahalo! I haven't posted it here because I goofed up some notes on that video so I was going to redo it, but time is hard to find.
I should add that my version is a hybrid of Joe Keawe's and Auntie Genoa's falsetto styles.

Jesse Tinsley

I thought so when I heard it as well. They would be very proud of you.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  01:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Jesse Tinsley

E kala mai, but may I ask why in response to your "Kalama'ula" statement? I think you have enough breath support as it is. Sometimes people think they can't do things and discover that they actually can do them when they try to.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  7:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Ih50S7ywY

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  7:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Jesse,

It's always a delight to listen to you sing! This yutube stuff is the next best thing to you being here in person! Thanks for sharing, brah! - Mags
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  11:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Jesse - Thanks once again for sharing with us. Brah - one CD. I'm telling you. Talk to Fran and make one, OK???? Then I can buy it as a surprise for Paul for Christmas, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  3:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
E Jesse e,

Just heard "Po La'ila'i" today. Your ha'i is getting better and better!

A question: have you ever considered doing a key change the second time you do a ha'ina verse in a mele? Lots of traditional Hawaiian singers do this, and it's a nice way to show off a person's range.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Wow, you're a demanding one, 'Alika! It's all I can do to play three chords and sing in a foreign language! ;)
Actually I've tried to do this, but hitting the right opening note is still iffy. I know that switching to the next root chord, then bouncing to the V chord helps orient you to the new key, but I'm always a few seconds behind in actually internalizing the new scale I'll be singing in.
To modulate up for the second ha'ina, where do you suggest it go? Up one full step? Up to the IV chord?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Wow, you're a demanding one, 'Alika! It's all I can do to play three chords and sing in a foreign language! ;)
Actually I've tried to do this, but hitting the right opening note is still iffy. I know that switching to the next root chord, then bouncing to the V chord helps orient you to the new key, but I'm always a few seconds behind in actually internalizing the new scale I'll be singing in.
To modulate up for the second ha'ina, where do you suggest it go? Up one full step? Up to the IV chord?
Jesse Tinsley

Hmm. I was originally thinking one whole step up as that's what I've heard a lot, but I think it depends on what the singer wants to do, 'ae?

And I didn't mean to sound like I was demanding! I was just making a suggestion. What I should have done first, however, is ask if you would mind receiving feedback like this.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  4:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
No worries, just having fun, 'Alika. How 'bout you share a music video, too?

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  3:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

No worries, just having fun, 'Alika. How 'bout you share a music video, too?

Jesse Tinsley

I would love to, but unfortunately, I do not have any on the Internet. All I have are the recordings that lots of you have heard already and others that I've done on my own on cassette tapes. I wish I had a piece of equipment that I could use to record myself on a CD without having to go to a studio. Other people recorded the tracks that I've sent to a lot of you guys.

E kala mai no!

'Alika / Polinahe

Edited by - alika207 on 11/10/2007 3:38:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000