Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 left hand question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  7:16:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

You must be referring to the bridge in Minoaka.
As I mentioned, your next issue will probably be removing your fingers without a squeak. But, thats why we practice.

Yes indeed, Minoaka. I will have plenty of time to work on the squeak in the bridge while I figure out how to do the harmonics at anything like normal speed.
thanks for the suggestion and encouragement.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:06:50 AM  Show Profile
I've been using a finger strengthening device called Gripmaster that has helped my left hand capabilities. This device has individual spring-loaded buttons.

I found it in a local music store.

Here's a link - http://www.gripmaster.net/gripmaster/exercise/fingerplay.html#

Larry
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Goldstein

I've been using a finger strengthening device called Gripmaster that has helped my left hand capabilities.

Larry

Does this help with stretching for longer reaches or for the strength to hold the position once there or both?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Does this help with stretching for longer reaches or for the strength to hold the position once there or both?

It doesn't do much for the stretch. For that there is an exercise called "the spider." Or, I just keep my fingers down when playing scales. But the Gripmaster definitely has resulted in added strength in my fingers, so I can get a clean sound even if the "stretched" finger is only in the middle of a fret.

Hope this makes sense.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:39:37 PM  Show Profile

Far out Dude!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  5:08:57 PM  Show Profile
As I read all these posts, and all the good ideas, it strikes me there's more to this than
"jus press."
But we're learnin'.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  6:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Paul, I have trouble in Mino'aka with the 785 (1st, 2nd, 3rd strings) stretch in measure 7, but not much with the 255 (3rd, 4th, 5th) stretch in measure 29 which is the one I think you are talking about. My approach to the 785 problem is to refinger it: use 7 pulloff to 5 on the first string followed by 5 on the 3rd string. Same notes and sounds fine. Given I have trouble already with the 785, I'm not sure why I find the 255 easier. But maybe it is this. I do not attempt to plant the whole chord at once. I carefully establish the 55 part making sure my ring and pinkie have a lot of grip and without worrying about the 2 (Make sure there is lots of arch when you plant with your hand in a normal unstretched position.) Then I rock my hand back later to get the 2 (keeping ring and pinkie fixed with pressure). It is a long way for me, so by the time I get my 2 planted my hand is close to being collapsed along the fingerboard. There is more time than it seems to get the 2 ready before you have to play it. Of course these habits are probably horrible and defeat the whole purpose of painful practice, but then I'm a slacker. Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000