Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 first gig asking for HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  03:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OK so my friend and I were sitting in the local bookstok/coffee shop playing Christmas Carols and Hawaiian songs like we do every week when ever she is in town( She spends about 2/3 year in Waikoloa and 1/3 here in Delaware. Anyway a local owner of a resturant stopped by and asked if we were professionaland would we be willing to play at her resturant durring the Christmas season durring Lunch, and before I could open my mouth Marypat says Yes Well I am speachless ( a state I am RARLY in) and before I have my wits about me we have been hired to perform next Wenesday.

SO I need some help and advise My friend says no big deal just relax have fun with it. But she plays weekly at a hotel in Kohala area and is used to it. I have just started to relax a little at our usual spot at the book store and all we get there is an ocassional free coffee or cookie So how do I choose the music we play and how do I handle the FEAR and pounding MIGRAINE that started the moment I realized what I just agreed to do. All help and suggestions are wanted and welcome. We are going to mix Hawaiian and christmas songs together as that seems to be what the folks at the book store have liked and as I learned a long time ago when I really did do this kind of stuff
K I S S always helped me Keep It Simple Stupid! But I was a mere child then now I KNOW fear!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  05:46:42 AM  Show Profile
If you have enough gumption to sit in a coffeeshop and play, then treat your gig as an extension of that. If you just have fun playing with a friend, then your audience will have fun too. As Ozzie says,'What's the worst that can happen? You no die". I know this is all easier said than done. You'll be a nervous wreck for half the first song. Then you'll realize, no big deal.

Have fun and congrats,

dog
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:16:29 AM  Show Profile
wow nancy! congrats! me an a couple of by buddies wen form a trombone quintet in college, "Sliders", an I remembah our first couple of gigs. We was so nervous. But, like dog said, you'll realize pretty soon, dat it's choke fun! Jus chillax. I always like fo make pretend nobody's around ... anyways, have fun! Tanks fo sharing da good news :-)

da joka

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Play stuff that you like and know well, even if it means repeating. Change the tempo, put some paniolo swing into it and have fun. Do some Slack Key noodling, play some intros, do some vamps and wing it once in a while. Trust me, I doubt that anyone will know anything other than you're having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile
!. Mistakes happen. But you're not building a skyscraper for thousands of people to inhabit every day. The mistakes aren't that important. I've made a ton of 'em. Most go unnoticed.
2. The audience wants to like you. They want to enjoy your music. In short, they're on your side. Friends you haven't met.
3. Try to get a few friends you have met to show up. It will be like playing at a friends party, with extra people. They may even request songs they've heard you play.
4. If you make a mistake, and you can't disguise it, make it into a joke. " Well, I knew the lyrics YESTERDAY! Probably will tomorrow, too." If you can make the audience laugh,cry, sing along, or dance, you've won them over. They had a good time no matter what else happened. Try to get them to sing on a few Christmas songs. You're starting at a good time of year for a first gig. Almost everyone knows certain standard Carols.
5. In coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc, a lot of prople are so busy talking they don't notice the song has ended. So a lack of applause isn't an editorial comment. Just evidence of a lack of attention.
6. Very important: Jitters, butterflies in the stomach, cold sweats,etc, whatever may manifest itself,it won't change history. You're there to have fun,so is the audience. Enjoy the experience; fun is communicable. Ten years from now, you'll have ten years experience. If you're lucky, the jitters will still be there. That's a big part of the thrill of playing live. If you're like me, the natural HAM in you will take over, and you won't be able to watch a musician without wanting to join in. Especially with an audience.
7. The most common comment from an audience member is "I couldn't get up there like that. I'd be terrified!" Relish every bit of it. You're doing something to make people smile. It doesn't get any better than that.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:34:54 AM  Show Profile
It'll be reight. You've got your friend there, who's done it before. Let her take the pressure for you. It's no different from doing the coffee house gig. Pretend you're not nervous, and nobody will know.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Nancy,

Well, how's that for an audition? Clearly, the restaurant owner liked what you were playing that day so no worries. Also sounds like Marypat is an experienced performer so let her experience calm some of your nerves. Don't sweat a "paying gig". Whether you're getting paid or playing for free (or a cookie), you play your best and have fun. Continue to keep it simple stupid but have fun.

If you're really worried about nerves, start your first 1-3 songs with your favorite, most solid material. By the time you get though those, you'll be on a roll.

Are you all set with sound, cables, set list? Get to the venue early so you can get comfortable with the surroundings and your set up. Break a leg!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Congratulations on picking up a gig! The world needs more live music, including all the little stumbles and mistakes that amateurs will make. I would suggest sticking with slows songs that you know inside and out, then moving on to faster songs. After a few gigs you might want to start a "learn list" of songs you want to slowly add to your repertoire.
Have fun!
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  08:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
Keola says we ALL make mistakes. The difference between professionals and amateurs (besides numbers of gigs and pay) is how they react when they make a mistake. Practice hard to not make mistakes while playing/performing but KNOW that you will make mistakes. Professionals act like it was no big deal and move on to the next note as if nothing happened. I think that reaction, is, in itself, something that has to be experienced and practiced to pull off. But first, the attitude to not react and worry needs to be predetermined.

In a restaurant, 99.9% of the people will be enjoying their food and once in a while look up to listen to the music. I think it is the perfect place for a first time gig since you are just background atmosphere. They won't notice if you make a mistake -- UNLESS you stop and point out that you made a mistake. I know this is true. I experience it every week at our slack key Open Mic.

Ask Dusty, even with 70% of the restaurant patrons being the slackers, we failed to notice that he had finished a song, "Maunaloa", we didn't clap, and he went right on to the next song as if nothing happened. It was only the next week after he had mentioned it to his wife, and she (being his best friend), told me that we all intentionally LISTENED for the same song and gave him a STANDING OVATION -- cracked him up!

By the way, that old adage about imagining your audience has no clothes on doesn't work. Last time I tried it, I looked up only to see the okole of some very fine wahine doing hula!!!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  08:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Lunch gigs are interesting, since the music isn't going to rank any higher than second in the audience's attention list (after food), and more likely third (after food and chat with their companions)--so don't expect a lot of response. In fact, my very experienced partner doesn't do vocals at meal gigs, since he knows that some folks prefer us to remain in the background. The upside of this is that you don't have to feel like you're in the spotlight, and the normal tendency of the audience to not notice mistakes is raised to the near-oblivion level.

All the advice already offered here is on the money, especially about the audience being on your side. I'd add: Make a set list or at least a repertory list, because even experienced players can blank on what to play next. Put your most familiar and comfortable material right at the top of that list to counteract the inevitable start-of-the-set nerves. If possible, check out the venue beforehand and see where you'll be placed. If you're going to use amplification, locate the wall plug and make sure there's room for the amp or whatever. (I'd bet this will be acoustic, though--that's the way we'd do it anywhere but a big room. Otherwise just a small amp will probably suffice.) Follow your more-experienced partner's lead. Enjoy.

(BTW, my wife's advice to me when I started playing out was, "Smile, and stop grimacing and saying 'Oh shit' when you make a mistake." Ten years later I'm halfway there.)
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  09:13:06 AM  Show Profile
I have two suggestions that I learned form being in many audiences and also from being in a band. Many ahead of me have said the same thing but it is good to see how many think it is important.

1)Try not to react to small mistakes or a missed note here and there. The audience will be behind you and probably does not want to see you be embarrased...so don't be! Stay uncritcal of youself and blow right through them without comment, expressions, or guilty glances to you partner. If you have a big mistake, do as was mentioned earlier, acknowledge it with humor.

I have actually seen a performer stop five or six measures into a song, and re-start again without a word or a concerned look on his face. Most knew what happened but when the audience saw that it didn't bother the performer, it just went away.
It really works for both the audience, and the performer.

2)Focus you mind on enjoying the event and it will turn out that way.
Have fun :)

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/20/2007 09:49:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Damn, now that Delaware is becoming a hotbed of live Hawaiian music, why am I stuck here in Santa Cruz? I'm seriously thinking of moving back to the farm in Felton.

Seriously Nancy, that's really great! I'm sure you'll bring lots of smiles to everyone, and how exciting for you. It validates your interest in the music and it's a way of sharing with others. Hope you have a great time doing it. It'll be fun, I'm sure. That's why Bob Brozman says, "Why do think they call it "Playing Music".

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

kmedeiros
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:42:44 AM  Show Profile
I was asked to play at my cousins wedding, and I too was extremely nervous. I just imagined I was playing in my living room for my family. Put yourself in a setting that is most comfortable to you, and just go with it. If you mess up, continue and do not stop. Just relax and have fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OH thanks everyone I feel better already . What wonderful advise and support. I can do this!
( now if I repeat this daily I will eventualy believe)

Yea DELAWARE is a real HOT bed for Hawaiian Music why just yeaterday someone asked if we were playing miniture Gutiars and what language we were speaking? But you are all right it is FUN. And luckily I have ALWAYS been able to laugh at my self. I just never dreamed I would get drug into playing in front of people this way. But well no backing out now so home to practice.
Thanks agin and I will try to remember to SMILE and not say ohSHIT when I screw up. ( It would sound Awful in the middle of What child Is This! )

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  1:04:02 PM  Show Profile
When I first started playing ukulele and singing in front of an audience I remember the "butterfiles". The vocal chords tighten a bit too. My first performance was with my brother and a fellow camper at an AMC winter camp - professional recording musicians in the audience. At times during the song I played "air" uke as the chord transitions were not familiar. I was also singing harmony, not lead.

Seemed to relive the experience when it was my first turn to lead at a kanikapila, when I played at my first open mic, and when I sat in at a gig with my brother's groups. (Air uke very rarely shows up now).

Since then I've perfromed a lot more including solo situations. I still make mistakes. When I do I just keep going. If two or more are playing there's someone cover. I've found that the crowd's appreciation, applause or just a smile on a listener, relaxes and encourages me to keep on. Should there be no response, as I expect for times when I'm just the background music, I look for other things -- sung the words correctly, got through a nifty chord progression or pic, or just finished a favorite mele.

So play in your set one or two favorite mele you do well, and that you would like to share with the audience. Feel good about those and let the others just happen.

You got to start somewhere when you or your group are the focus. And if the you like the "limelight", the more you perform the easier it can be. You might even look for more occasions to perform.

I still have "butterflies" at the beginning of a performance, but once I get started I relax a bit and "do it". Remember to have fun.
So "Break a leg" and enjoy.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  5:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Ah yes AIR UKE I know it well And Play it far to often. Especially those rapid chord changes and when the old sinapses (sp?) just plain misfire and I forget what the heck the pattern is for THAT chord.

At the very least practice along in my living room is going well. And I really think I will be more comfortable if people do not applude and we are just backgound music for now. Not as much pressure. In fact I told my husband if he does show up I DONOT want to know he is comming nor do I want to know he is there while I am playing after is fine just let me get comfortable first.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000