Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Hawaiian unicode on Taropatch.net
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  10:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You guys asked for it. As of today, Taropatch.net works with Hawaiian unicode in order to display the kahakō and 'okina.

Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ' ā ē ī ō ū '

FYI, visit Kualono for directions on installing and using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard. Click the appropriate link for Macintosh or Windows.

This is cool, but now I feel the need to use the 'okina and kahakō correctly. Ignorance was bliss. Check Hawaiian Dictionaries for help.

Note: The 'okina is not working correctly. I'll try to figure it out but no guarantees. If you're using the Hawaiian Unicode keyboard in windows, you need to press right Alt and the apostrophe to make an 'okina (otherwise you get this ʻ). I have been told that this is actually an apostrophe, not an 'okina).

Note: The ʻokina is working properly. With the unicode keyboard, you press the apostrophe key to get ʻokina. For some reason, my computer at work was showing a box instead of ʻokina.

Andy

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

You guys asked for it. As of today, Taropatch.net works with Hawaiian unicode in order to display the kahakō and 'okina.
Mahalo nui, Andy, for taking the time to figure this out.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  2:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone take Keola's instructions from Kualono and make them idiot proof for someone like me? I am not certain I understand what he is telling me to do. Do I want the Unicode download or the HI download or what? I am really not so very computer savvy at all. Matter of fact, I am down right ignorant.

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  05:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by keoladonaghy

RE: fonts, it varies depending on your browser and OS. The only fonts that I've found that have the vowel-kahakō and ‘okina in the right Unicode locations on both Mac and Win are Palatino, Times New Roman, Helvetica and Courier. Arial on Win usually has them, as does Lucida Sans Unicode. On Mac, Lucida Grande. Most contemporary browsers will substitute a font that does have the character. If you use Verdana on PC on Windows, the Mac will show the characters with Lucida Grande. For people with older versions of Windows you'll sometimes see a square box. Nice to see it is working here.

For those of you who don't have Mac and its built in Hawaiian keyboard there is a Windows Unicode keyboard available for download from our college's website:

http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/enehana/winkbd.php

>> For people with older versions of Windows you'll sometimes see a square box.

I am running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 but was running IE 6.0. I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7.0 and now I can see the ʻokina correctly.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000