Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Quick Q&A: Nathan Aweau – Kāneʻohe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  4:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

TP = Andy (Taropatch.net)
Nathan = Nathan Aweau

TP: You performed with Don Ho for many years. Can you walk us through your musical career path to date?

Nathan: During my college years, one night while hanging out with some friends at a club, there was a Hawaiian group playing called "Kāʻeo". They called me up to do a few songs, next thing I new, I was a part of the group (1986). This was very reluctant because at the time I was in a heavymetal group as well as a jazz group (some hundred pounds ago), and this was the only kind of music that I wanted to play. But at the time I needed some real cash, and you can’t make a living doing jazz and rock in Hawaiʻi. Did this for about four years and at the same time backing up artists such as Loyal Garner, Henry Kapono, Gabe Baltazar. It was at this time when a gentleman by the name of Benny Chong told me that they were going to start up the group "The Aliʻi's", and that they wanted me to be a part of the group. Did this for two years (1989), then Don Ho asked us if we wanted to be his musicians, and with this, I've been his bass player for 16 years (1989 – 2005). Also during this time I've done some jingle work and music for TV shows on the Travel Channel.

In 2003 Barry Flanagan visited the Don Ho show and that night Don featured me…I did "Akaka Falls" a song that I had success with on my "E Apo Mai" c.d... Barry introduced himself and invited me to lunch. During that lunch he asked if I wanted to be a part of his group "Hapa"…a few years ahead and a few albums now, here we are.

TP: Tell us what you're up to these days. Between Hapa and your solo release, it sounds like you're very busy.

Nathan: With Barry Flanagan (Hapa), we tour a lot, and lately we’ve been talking about our next c.d., which will be totally about 'hula'.

I did a small tour with Herb Ohta Jr., who is an incredible musician, and a fun guy to be around.

My latest release, "Kāneʻohe" is keeping me very busy…my distributor just told me that it hit #1 in Hawaiʻi sales. I got invited to do a concert in China during the month of June.

When not touring, I perform every Friday night at Chai's Island Bistro, and on Wednesday night I do a jazz gig with Benny Chong at the Pacific Beach Hotel.

TP: Before we get to Kāneʻohe, can you talk about your discography? I haven't listened to all your albums but Bass Etude was really cool.

Nathan: In 1997 (I think), Flip McDiarmid from 'Hula Records' gave me the chance to do a c.d. called 'Center Stage.' Jumping at the chance and thinking that this would be my one and only time I will ever release a c.d.; I put everything including the kitchen sink on this c.d... It was a mish-mash of styles. From Hawaiian, Country, Jazz, Pop and Folk…it was messed up. But I guess this was the kind of learning experience that I had to go through. The next release under Hula Records was called 'One More Road', fairly tamed with decent reviews, and my first nominations for a Hoku (didn't win of course).

In 2002 I left Hula Records and decided to do it on my own. Being a little frustrated about my career not taking off, my brother-in-law suggested to me about doing a Hawaiian language c.d... The c.d. "E Apo Mai" was my first attempt in writing Hawaiian language songs. With a little help from my father, I managed to pull it off…sort of…I butchered the language.

My "Hawaii Classic Series" is a bunch of c.d.s with popular songs in their respective genre. The first is called "Vintage" (2005), the second is "Hula" (2006); the third will be called "Instrumentals" (2009), the last "Local Favorites".

Bass Etude was my ego project (hahaha). Because the electric bass is my first instrument, I decided to write as well as arrange some songs for solo bass.

TP: I think you've outdone yourself with the new CD. You produced, wrote and arranged all the songs, performed all the instruments (guitar, bass, drums, piano, strings -- did I forget anything?), sang all vocal parts, mixed and mastered everything by yourself. So is there anything you cannot do?!?!

Nathan: Wearing all these different hats isn't because I can, it's because I enjoy the whole experience. It's not the accomplished goal that gets me excited, it's the journey.

TP: Is "In My Bathroom" Studio really in your bathroom?

Nathan: My "E Apo Mai" c.d. was totally done on a portable 16 track recorder, in my bathroom. So ever since then, the name stuck. Yes, I've upgraded to a more serious set up, and now my wife lets me record in the 'living room'…yeah. Oh crap, that means I have to change the name to "In My Living Room" studio.

TP: I've got to say that the opening track E Piʻi Mai Ke Kai totally rocks. What was the inspiration?

Nathan: When I write music it's about the melody, chords and groove. Then I ask, "What is this melody trying to say?" E Piʻi Mai Ke Kai, to me sounds like a seafarer type of song. This is what I envisioned; Storm arose and skies were ominously dark and angry, as if challenging anyone who dared to cross this uncharted path. The rain and the winds were unforgiving, and as the canoe struggles to stay afloat with the seas threatening to swallow them whole, there beckoned a thin ray of light that peeked through, as if god was pointing the way to the new land. As they near closer, the storm suddenly subsided and as they squint from afar, they could see the silhouette of the towering and comforting mountains of the Koʻolaus. Like a warm blanket the invitation was clear, as the conch shell blew… "we are home." "Corny", but that’s what I saw.

TP: Do you speak Hawaiian?

Nathan: Oh no, I can kind of catch certain words when people are conversing in Hawaiian, but for the most part, I'm a novice…still learning sentence structuring etc. I'm very fortunate because our chanter/storyteller in Hapa (Charles Kaʻupu), shares with me stories, history, the language…very cool!

TP: Any songs in particular on this album that are personal favorites or any good stories to go along with any songs?

Nathan: That’s a tough question…that's kind of like asking to choose your favorite child. Each song has some kind of personal story/experience and effect on me. So diplomatically I can’t answer that…unless you have an extra 10 pages to explain every song (just kidding). But I can tell you the whole synopsis of this c.d.; on one of my tours, coming home, the airplane went over the Northeast of Oʻahu, which doesn’t happen too often. I looked out of my window and realized that the place that I call home, Kāneʻohe, is incredibly beautiful…I suddenly had a whole new perspective on the place that I never thought much of.

TP: You obviously have God given talent. How much of your musical ability do you attribute to innate talent and how much is hard work and practice? Any practice tips for us Taropatchers?

Nathan: Even 'til today, I try to practice 2 hours everyday.

I believe that everyone has a god given gift, and I was taught that once you found what it was, harness it, mold it, take good care of it, never take it for granted…then share it.

My father recently made me listen to a recording of me while I was 6 years old, playing ukulele and singing…to tell you the truth, I kind of surprised myself, my tempo was solid, my singing and intonation was on. My father told me that at an early age I showed signs of being musically inclined. This wasn't too surprising…my dad had the gift and taught music/choir and could play various instruments. My mom played the piano and organ.

As for advice; dreaming is good but practicing is gold! Listen to anything and everything.

TP: I know that you have diverse musical influences. How much Hawaiian music do you listen to? Who are/were some of your musical teachers/mentors and who do you look up to as performers/musicians?

Nathan: 99% of what I listen to is progressive jazz, more specific; Chick Corea…he's my man.

When I started singing, my favorite singer was Kenny Loggins and then chronologically went like this; Al Jarreau, Jeff Tate (Queens Ryche), Peebo Bryson, James Ingram, Luther Vandross.

Bass players; Christian McBride, Victor Wooten, John Patitucci, Richard Bona, Brian Bromberg.

Guitarists; Tommy Emmanuel, Carlos Rios, Wes Montgomery, Benny Chong, Barry Flanagan.

Piano players; Bill Evans, Michel Camillo, Chick Corea.

My dad was my first teacher, and even 'til today, I look for approval from him.

TP: Where can we see you play and what do you have in store for 2008?

Nathan: Tour, Tour, Tour, Tour. You can go onto www.nathanaweau.org, www.hapa.com or www.herbohtajr.com to see where I'm at.

My pet project; I started writing a symphony piece on asking the question, "What would the sound track be, if they had a movie about the first travelers and settlers of Hawaiʻi?" I'm very into movie soundtracks, specifically epic movies. I'm giving myself 5 to 7 years.

TP: Whoa! Thanks Nathan. We all look forward to hearing your work up on the big screen!

Andy

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  12:45:10 AM  Show Profile
An excellent and informative interview. I am surprised to hear him say that he started playing Hawaiian music to make money! Well, he sure is good at it. I love his hula CD. And what a versatile guy, with a very versatile voice.

Thanks for interviewing him, Andy. And Nathan, thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  2:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I predict Kane`ohe to sweep the Hokus. And for everyone who does some recording at home, this album is a must listen. It's the gold standard in Hawaii.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  01:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the interview. Nathan is such a wonderful person and musician. My Father always told me to watch, listen, and hopefully play music with musicians that are better and more experienced. In my opinion. Nathan is truly all that. I've gotten to know him better on a short tour we did together late last year. He is such a remarkable talent. That is when I first heard songs from his "Kane'ohe" release. His heart is so musical, you can hear that when he performs.

Thanks again Andy! Hope more people get to witness this wonderful talent that our Heavenly Father put on this earth for all of us to enjoy!

Aloha,
Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page